[PRO] Adelaide Oval Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Message
Author
claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1752
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:16 pm
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 162 times

[PRO] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#91 Post by claybro » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:41 pm

Waewick wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:10 pm
SRW wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:28 pm
Both SANFL and (especially) SACA have had large debts forgiven by state governments in the past, so I think people have reason to be cynical that this money will ever be fully paid back by SMA.
are you sure about that? how past are you talking about?
The SACA were significantly in debt to the government due to the original redevelopment of the Western Stands and other upgrades to AO. I understood all of these debts were wiped as part of the deal to allow shared use with the AFL and allow the most recent redevelopment to proceed. The SANFL owed money due to the various upgrades to Football Park. From memory these debts were also wiped as part of the sweetener to get them back to AO.

ghs
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1468
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:09 am
Location: Brighton
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 57 times

[PRO] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#92 Post by ghs » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:40 pm

How about the SMA / state government stops fxxking around with this pathetic hotel idea and starts focussing on
attracting more of the big name performers to SA. Next year in Feb Eminem is touring the other four cities
and not Adelaide. All we have is Phil Collins coming up who just about needs a wheelchair to get around in.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!
Posts: 847
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:39 am
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 120 times

[PRO] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#93 Post by Goodsy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:59 pm

ghs wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:40 pm
How about the SMA / state government stops fxxking around with this pathetic hotel idea and starts focussing on
attracting more of the big name performers to SA. Next year in Feb Eminem is touring the other four cities
and not Adelaide. All we have is Phil Collins coming up who just about needs a wheelchair to get around in.
neither of those performers would take Adelaide Oval

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3318
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:39 pm
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 96 times

[PRO] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#94 Post by Waewick » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:13 am

claybro wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:41 pm
Waewick wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:10 pm
SRW wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:28 pm
Both SANFL and (especially) SACA have had large debts forgiven by state governments in the past, so I think people have reason to be cynical that this money will ever be fully paid back by SMA.
are you sure about that? how past are you talking about?
The SACA were significantly in debt to the government due to the original redevelopment of the Western Stands and other upgrades to AO. I understood all of these debts were wiped as part of the deal to allow shared use with the AFL and allow the most recent redevelopment to proceed. The SANFL owed money due to the various upgrades to Football Park. From memory these debts were also wiped as part of the sweetener to get them back to AO.
The Western Stand development was funded privately, but repaid as part of the broader redevelopment, largely due to the structure we chose to go down.

The SANFL made its cash from the sale of assets around footy park, no bailout required.

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:42 pm
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 58 times

[PRO] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#95 Post by Honey of a City » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:01 pm

Here’s an idea Marshall and Olsen and co.. Instead of stuffing up the existing architecture and the event experience of millions (yes check it out..millions) of attendees who pay megabucks to go to the Oval over two years, how about building your must-have hotel as part of the Memorial Drive redevelopment. Your hotel could have magic views over the riverbank and CBD skyline, and be incorporated into the new build, with road access, river access, park access, golf course, tennis etc etc and be a very short walk to Oval and Convention Centre events, and the medical and Uni precincts too. And the Next Gen gym could be incorporated as well, and everyone’s a winner. Drop the looking after mates thing and do something for the common good eh?

Mpol03
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:39 am
Has thanked: 211 times
Been thanked: 29 times

[PRO] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#96 Post by Mpol03 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:17 am

That requires vision and this government sorely lack that.

User avatar
rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3480
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 153 times
Been thanked: 267 times

[PRO] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#97 Post by rev » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:04 am

Mpol03 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:17 am
That requires vision and this government sorely lack that.
Correction, the majority of decision makers if not all, lack not only vision but creativity.

floplo
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:43 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 5 times

[PRO] Re: [PRO] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#98 Post by floplo » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:30 pm

Mpol03 wrote:That requires vision and this government sorely lack that.
It requires council approval, something everybody lacks and no vision can replace....

Sent from my G3116 using Tapatalk


claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1752
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:16 pm
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 162 times

[PRO] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#99 Post by claybro » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:47 pm

Honey of a City wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:01 pm
Here’s an idea Marshall and Olsen and co.. Instead of stuffing up the existing architecture and the event experience of millions (yes check it out..millions) of attendees who pay megabucks to go to the Oval over two years, how about building your must-have hotel as part of the Memorial Drive redevelopment. Your hotel could have magic views over the riverbank and CBD skyline, and be incorporated into the new build, with road access, river access, park access, golf course, tennis etc etc and be a very short walk to Oval and Convention Centre events, and the medical and Uni precincts too. And the Next Gen gym could be incorporated as well, and everyone’s a winner. Drop the looking after mates thing and do something for the common good eh?
While the requirement for this development is possibly questionable, how is a structure tacked on to the back of the Eastern Stand going "stuff up the event experience of millions" ? Also for those the bemoaning the wrecking of the architectural merit of the rear of the stand? c'mon.. its a stadium grandstand. Pleasant enough building yes, but it is no Sydney Opera House. Also read here something along the lines of ruining the consistency of the architecture?.. This stadium has three distinct grandstands, all different, and a heritage scoreboard standing all alone on the Northern mound.. it could not be more dis-jointed as a venue if it tried. The oval is a very functional, pleasant place to watch sport, with beautiful surrounds, great facilities and great atmosphere, but some folk in Adelaide seem to hold it up as some kind of architectural marvel, which actually says more about the standard of Adelaide architecture, than the venue itself.

User avatar
ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 275
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:15 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 5 times

[PRO] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#100 Post by ynotsfables » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:53 pm

:applause: :applause: :applause:
Well said.
I remember how thoroughly i felt joy as a child, unfortunately she's no longer my baby sitter.

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:42 pm
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 58 times

[PRO] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#101 Post by Honey of a City » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:05 pm

claybro wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:47 pm
Honey of a City wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:01 pm
Here’s an idea Marshall and Olsen and co.. Instead of stuffing up the existing architecture and the event experience of millions (yes check it out..millions) of attendees who pay megabucks to go to the Oval over two years, how about building your must-have hotel as part of the Memorial Drive redevelopment. Your hotel could have magic views over the riverbank and CBD skyline, and be incorporated into the new build, with road access, river access, park access, golf course, tennis etc etc and be a very short walk to Oval and Convention Centre events, and the medical and Uni precincts too. And the Next Gen gym could be incorporated as well, and everyone’s a winner. Drop the looking after mates thing and do something for the common good eh?
While the requirement for this development is possibly questionable, how is a structure tacked on to the back of the Eastern Stand going "stuff up the event experience of millions" ? Also for those the bemoaning the wrecking of the architectural merit of the rear of the stand? c'mon.. its a stadium grandstand. Pleasant enough building yes, but it is no Sydney Opera House. Also read here something along the lines of ruining the consistency of the architecture?.. This stadium has three distinct grandstands, all different, and a heritage scoreboard standing all alone on the Northern mound.. it could not be more dis-jointed as a venue if it tried. The oval is a very functional, pleasant place to watch sport, with beautiful surrounds, great facilities and great atmosphere, but some folk in Adelaide seem to hold it up as some kind of architectural marvel, which actually says more about the standard of Adelaide architecture, than the venue itself.
I was referring to the exterior of the Eastern stand, not the northern mound or the scoreboard, which have nothing to do with the proposal. The exterior design of the stand-alone Eastern stand, where the proposed tack-on is to occur, is way up there compared to the exterior of the MCG, SCG and other primary sports stadia in Australia. It’s in scale and materially on-song with the adjacent structures and fits its park setting very nicely. Leave it alone. The millions of patrons I mentioned refer to the million plus patrons attending the venue each year, and we’d be looking at up to another two years of negotiating a massive unnecessary building site for the benefit if a few hotel guests and developers. The pre-match activities at the Creswell and Rivervank gates add significantly to the total event experience, unlike building sites which this will be and which many patrons have had to shuffle and divert through for two years already at the railway station end of the bridge. Sure, happy to put up with inconvenience in the interest of the long game if the outcome is better than what’s already there, but this is not, at least if the concept design is remotely accurate. My point about locating the hotel (if it’s as vital as the administrators and pollies claim) at the separate but nearby Mem Drive proposal is that it would already by necessity be a building site for the benefit of the many, and a hotel would make more sense around there, with road access etc already in place. Adelaide architecture in general...yep agree with your point there...mediocrity abounds, with some bright spots but why not aspire to have some vision and only retro-fit or add on where it’s a game-changer.

User avatar
rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3480
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 153 times
Been thanked: 267 times

[PRO] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#102 Post by rev » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:20 pm

Sorry my to bust in and divert valuable attention away from the typical South Australian whinging and moaning about progress...but a lot of the so called issues are addressed below.
Quotes attributable to AOSMA Chair Kevin Scarce AC:

“We have a responsibility to generate funding to maintain and upgrade Adelaide Oval to the highest standard for the benefit of all South Australians.

“To do that, we must continue to create new and relevant business opportunities, and we have a proven record of doing so to date with innovations like the RoofClimb and the LED lighting upgrade.

“A boutique hotel is an innovation that will not only help offset the ongoing costs associated with operating and maintaining the stadium but will also ensure we stay at the forefront of innovation in what is an extremely competitive international event market.

“There are numerous precedents at stadia around the world; indeed, the AFL announced similar intentions for Marvel Stadium earlier this year.

“As the joint venture partners, the boards of SANFL and SACA have undertaken exhaustive due diligence as befits the two organisations that carry the full responsibility for the Adelaide Oval.

“Having done so, it’s very exciting to now be at the point where we’re ready to go to the next step.”

The project will be funded by a loan of up to $42m to be provided to AOSMA by the South Australian Government Financing Authority (SAFA) at commercial rates.
Quotes attributable to COX Architecture Director Adam Hannon:

“It’s a low-impact design, not only in the way in which it fits within the current structure but also in the way we can build it without adversely impacting the gameday experience for patrons during its construction.”
Key facts of the development include:

The Adelaide Oval Hotel will be built and managed by the Adelaide Oval Stadium Management Authority. It will not be operated by an external provider, nor will it carry any large-scale external signage.
The loan from SAFA of up to $42m will be provided at a standard market rate on a 30-year principal and interest arrangement. As the landlord, the State Government has provided the necessary works approval following consideration by Cabinet.
Like the Oval itself, the new Adelaide Oval Hotel will be built on Crown Land. Therefore, at the end of AOSMA’s lease, it will be returned to the people of South Australia.
Because it is on Crown Land leased by AOSMA from the State Government, there are complications in terms of borrowing from a bank including an inability to obtain a normal mortgage. Hence, SAFA has provided the loan.
The design is being overseen by COX Architecture and project managed by Mott MacDonald, the same team responsible for the award-winning redevelopment of Adelaide Oval.
The 128-room boutique hotel will feature two wings that will integrate into the existing design on either side of the East Gate. They will be linked by an elevated foyer and lounge pod with views into the east atrium and out to the parklands and city skyline.
The hotel will utilise current kitchen and restaurant facilities (including Hill of Grace Restaurant) within the Eastern Stand. Access will be via the existing lifts and from the underground carpark.
Rooms have spectacular views, including St Peter’s Cathedral, Adelaide Parklands and the city skyline.
The hotel integrates with the Eastern Stand, celebrating its parkland setting and context. It maintains the current scale and proportion of built form, retaining views of the seating bowl and roof structure.
AOSMA’s business case for the hotel has been built and stress-tested by consultants including KPMG, BDO and Horwath HTL.
When complete, the hotel will create 120 ongoing FTE roles.
While connected to/integrated with the current structure, the Adelaide Oval Hotel will be built as a ‘pod’, separated from the back of the Eastern Stand. Therefore, the seating bowl will not be impacted during construction.
None of the stadium’s existing access/egress including the plaza and atrium entry are affected by the development. Planning is already underway to ensure the impact of construction on gameday patrons arriving/leaving the stadium at the East Gate is kept at a minimum.
Construction is anticipated to commence in May 2019 and is expected to complete in June 2020 before opening in August 2020 in time for the ICC World T20.

bits
Legendary Member!
Posts: 506
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:24 pm
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 88 times

[PRO] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#103 Post by bits » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:31 am

Can we change this thread to approved now.
This is not a proposal.

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5455
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 701 times
Been thanked: 1151 times

[PRO] Re: [PRO] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#104 Post by Norman » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:01 am

bits wrote:Can we change this thread to approved now.
This is not a proposal.
It still needs approval from SCAP I believe.

bits
Legendary Member!
Posts: 506
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:24 pm
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 88 times

[PRO] Re: [PRO] Re: [PRO] Re: Adelaide Oval Hotel

#105 Post by bits » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:34 pm


Norman wrote:It still needs approval from SCAP I believe.
Are you sure?
SMA say they are building this in May.
Isnt the builder already contacted.
To stop from here would require the courts.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Pikey and 12 guests