[COM] Thomson Playford Building | 30m | 8lvls | Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Mants
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: #U/C: Thomson Playford Building (Gouger St) - 8 lvls

#106 Post by Mants » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:08 pm

Shuz wrote:Please tell me they're going to do something at least with that blank western wall!?
im guessing another building will be built on the corner of gouger street and coglin place.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#107 Post by Will » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:20 pm

Mants wrote:
Shuz wrote:Please tell me they're going to do something at least with that blank western wall!?
im guessing another building will be built on the corner of gouger street and coglin place.
I suspect that this is what will eventually happen, but I doubt it will happen within the next decade. I say this because one of the retail tenancies in the building on the corner is currently being renovated to convert it into a new restaurant. I doubt such an investment would be wasted if the owner of the business knew that the owner had any plans to redevelop the site.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#108 Post by Will » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:20 pm

Mants wrote:
I suspect that this is what will eventually happen, but I doubt it will happen within the next decade. I say this because one of the retail tenancies in the building on the corner is currently being renovated to convert it into a new restaurant. I doubt such an investment would be wasted if the owner of the business knew that the owner had any plans to redevelop the site.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#109 Post by Will » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:21 pm

Mants wrote:

urban
Legendary Member!

#110 Post by urban » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:35 pm

We get your point. :lol:

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#111 Post by UrbanSG » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:33 am

More green glass for Adelaide :roll: . I suppose it might contrast well with the blue glass on the Coglin project next door. This one sounded like a waterfall this morning after all the heavy rain earlier. Pic from this morning:

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#112 Post by Howie » Thu May 08, 2008 10:20 pm

Hi guys,

I've been plugging some developments to Australian National Construction Review publication (http://ancr.com.au/), and i'm happy to say that SA Water (VS1), Lot8 Coglin Place, Thomson Playford Building and KWS will be featured in the next edition.

:) Thanks to our dear friend Sarah Giles editor at ANCR.

Cheers

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#113 Post by UrbanSG » Sat May 24, 2008 10:14 am

This one has either topped out or has one more level to go (I think it's one more level). Pic from today:

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#114 Post by Shuz » Sat May 24, 2008 1:32 pm

I saw this the other day, and I counted 8 levels to structural core, 7 floors constructed. It's been topped out, yes.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#115 Post by skyliner » Sun May 25, 2008 3:32 pm

Good pic. Looking much more like a CBD through there now from VSQ!

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#116 Post by Tyler_Durden » Mon May 26, 2008 9:51 am

I'm worried about the impact a building like this could have on on the vibe of Gouger Street. It is not a street that needs or should have office buildings. There are so many other streets for offices yet we only have a small number of entertaiment/hospitality precincts. Please don't ruin them.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#117 Post by UrbanSG » Mon May 26, 2008 10:06 am

Well I think it is an improvement and far better than a site which sat vacant and fenced off for around 15 years! As I am aware the building will include ground floor retail space as well.

Although mixed use developments like Coglin next door are probably better for this side of town this office building will still increase activity in the area and the Coglin development will slightly improve activity after hours. I am just glad we are getting development in this area after so long. Plus I think office development is still approriate in this location being so close to all the Courts and associated admin.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#118 Post by monotonehell » Mon May 26, 2008 10:40 am

UrbanSG wrote:Well I think it is an improvement and far better than a site which sat vacant and fenced off for around 15 years! As I am aware the building will include ground floor retail space as well.
The story behind that was a saga... involving heritage a protected building, a rogue developer and a midnight bulldozer. Let's just say that Madame Chow wasn't always on Hutt Street.

I'm with Tyler to a degree, while I think that this building is okay, he's right about 'spoiling' a restaurant precinct. Look what happened to Rundle Street. Although I don;t blame the development for that directly, it was the flow on effects of landlords increasing their leases. Ironic that what made Rundle Street desirable has been edged out by the property values increasing.

EDIT: Oops, sorry Barkid I must have you on my mind (that's a worry) It was Tyler's comments I was referring to.
Last edited by monotonehell on Mon May 26, 2008 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member

#119 Post by wilkiebarkid » Mon May 26, 2008 10:54 am

monotonehell wrote:I'm with Barkid to a degree, while I think that this building is okay, he's right about 'spoiling' a restaurant precinct. Look what happened to Rundle Street. Although I don;t blame the development for that directly, it was the flow on effects of landlords increasing their leases. Ironic that what made Rundle Street desirable has been edged out by the property values increasing.
Hey Mr Hell, I have never posted anything in this thread!!!, but seeing that I am here now, may as well add my thoughts!

I think that an office building containing high-earning workers replacing a derelict site is only going to support the type of businesses that make up Gouger Street. More lunch time activity etc.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#120 Post by monotonehell » Mon May 26, 2008 11:05 am

wilkiebarkid wrote:Hey Mr Hell, I have never posted anything in this thread!!!, but seeing that I am here now, may as well add my thoughts!
:oops: above post edited
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.