[COM] iPad | 29m | 9lvls | Apartments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
wilko91
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[COM] Re: #UC : iPad (Waymouth St 9 lvl) Apartment building

#46 Post by wilko91 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:40 am

A lot of what I hear or read being approved or proposed is student accomodation, seriously how much student accomodation can we utilise? Is it just an easy way to get approval for tiny little apartments, that dont meet normal dwelling status, once built and not filled with students will be let to non-students?? Just a thought.....

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#47 Post by Howie » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:01 am

Wilko91 from what i hear from people i've spoken to around the universities they're still running behind demand in terms of quality student accommodation in the cbd. Some students are also paying anywhere up to 6 months worth of bond to secure a rental place, and there's no sign of letting up yet.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#48 Post by Edgar » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:24 am

wilko91 wrote:A lot of what I hear or read being approved or proposed is student accomodation, seriously how much student accomodation can we utilise? Is it just an easy way to get approval for tiny little apartments, that dont meet normal dwelling status, once built and not filled with students will be let to non-students?? Just a thought.....
Due to tenancy agreements, accommodation for International Students are extremely hard, and what Howie had mentioned is true, and this will also mean it will attract more students to live in the CBD, if it is well priced and well facilitated, and the best part is, the city does not look dead after business hours.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

urban
Legendary Member!

#49 Post by urban » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:39 am

We are seeing so much student accommodation being built because there were 12,000 more international students in 2007 than 2002.

wilko91
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#50 Post by wilko91 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:09 pm

the city does not look dead after business hours.
Lets hope that business' stay open as well. That doesnt positively contribute to the city looking alive after 5:30pm. I tried to get a coffee the other week at 5:30pm on a Tuesday...nothing was open....seriously nothing...reminded me that I was back in Adelaide. I still love it though!!! :D

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#51 Post by Will » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:35 pm

wilko91 wrote:
Lets hope that business' stay open as well. That doesnt positively contribute to the city looking alive after 5:30pm. I tried to get a coffee the other week at 5:30pm on a Tuesday...nothing was open....seriously nothing...reminded me that I was back in Adelaide. I still love it though!!! :D
I find that hard to believe. Where were you looking to get a coffee, Sturt Street?

wilko91
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#52 Post by wilko91 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:42 pm

wilko91 wrote:

Lets hope that business' stay open as well. That doesnt positively contribute to the city looking alive after 5:30pm. I tried to get a coffee the other week at 5:30pm on a Tuesday...nothing was open....seriously nothing...reminded me that I was back in Adelaide. I still love it though!!!

I find that hard to believe. Where were you looking to get a coffee, Sturt Street?
Pirie, Grenfell, KW, was about as far as I had got before I gave up, walked home and had one there!

urban
Legendary Member!

#53 Post by urban » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:24 pm

I was looking to get a snack at 5pm the other day in the Flinders St/Pirie St area and all the food places were either closed or closing. Last one open was Kappy's on Flinders St.

This is why we desperately need some residential and retail development around this area.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#54 Post by crawf » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:27 pm

wilko91 wrote:
wilko91 wrote:

Lets hope that business' stay open as well. That doesnt positively contribute to the city looking alive after 5:30pm. I tried to get a coffee the other week at 5:30pm on a Tuesday...nothing was open....seriously nothing...reminded me that I was back in Adelaide. I still love it though!!!

Pirie, Grenfell, KW, was about as far as I had got before I gave up, walked home and had one there!
You should of tried Hindley St, Rundle Street/Mall, East Terrace, Gouger St etc...

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#55 Post by Will » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:37 pm

wilko91 wrote:
wilko91 wrote:

In regard to Pirie Street fair enough, but you couldn't find anything open on KWS? There are quite a few 24/7 mini-supermarkets on KWS that sell coffee.

Professor
High Rise Poster!

#56 Post by Professor » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:50 pm

Even though it is 41 deg in the shade, the crane for this building is being delivered to site and installed today. I guess they want to get it ready for Monday's return to the building construction work, but it would be soooo hot working in the sun putting those pieces of metal together.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#57 Post by AtD » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:36 pm

I didn't think they were allowed to work in such heat.

Professor
High Rise Poster!

#58 Post by Professor » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:15 am

I was surprised that they did the work on such a hot day. The top section was still being fitted at around 7.30 tonight, while it was still light. I guess thay have to finish it off and get that part of Waymouth St open to the traffic again. Plus the building site is pretty deep and congested so they need the crane ASAP to really get the thing moving.

Anyway, the first new crane is up for 2008 with more to follow in the next 4 months. My guess is that, with the SA Water and Tivoli removed next month, there should be 10 cranes on the skyline by April-May.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#59 Post by jk1237 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:36 pm

crane is up. I went past on my bike to have a look. Due to the wind, they weren't gonna attach the main arch, however it calmed off for about half an hour, during which time they lifted it perfectly and quickly onto the base, then after the wind picked up. Just in time. :D

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#60 Post by AtD » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:42 pm

Photos would be appreciated. :)