News & Discussion: City Streetscapes

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Street Trees

#31 Post by AtD » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:03 pm

Aidan wrote:As I recall it was because the Adelaide City Council were in a hurry to approve stage 2 of The Greening of North Terrace, to fix the damage from the disastrous stage 1 (which had consisted of cutting down trees and painting a few things green).
Rubbish. Stage 1 was a success from the offset. I was at Adelaide Uni at the time so I saw the whole thing evolve.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#32 Post by Omicron » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:30 pm

Good. Spotted gums are for parks, not for streets.

Aidan

#33 Post by Aidan » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:02 pm

Omicron wrote:Good. Spotted gums are for parks, not for streets.
That depends on the kind of spotted gum. That's the problem with using the common names - several different species share the name. While I agree that many of them aren't suitable for City streets, some certainly are.

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing they were considering a small form of Eucalyptus mannifera.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Aidan

#34 Post by Aidan » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:25 pm

AtD wrote:
Aidan wrote:As I recall it was because the Adelaide City Council were in a hurry to approve stage 2 of The Greening of North Terrace, to fix the damage from the disastrous stage 1 (which had consisted of cutting down trees and painting a few things green).
Rubbish. Stage 1 was a success from the offset. I was at Adelaide Uni at the time so I saw the whole thing evolve.
Then why was the part of North Terrace near the museum so desolate by the end of 2003?

BTW I've now checked and I was wrong about the spotted gums - they really were planning to grow Corymbia maculata, so I can see why it was turned down - but it's a shame they went for more planes rather than another kind of spotted gums.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#35 Post by AtD » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:13 am

Aidan wrote:Then why was the part of North Terrace near the museum so desolate by the end of 2003?
Because Stage 1 didn't finish until 2005. :roll: