[CAN] Police Credit Union | 29m | 8lvls | Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
metro
Legendary Member!

[CAN] Re: #CAN: Police Credit Union | 29m | 8lvls | Office

#76 Post by metro » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:45 pm

Shuz wrote:It's an automobile haven!
just have a look at West Tce; from North to South we have: Mcdonalds with Drive thru and carpark, a petrol station just off west tce on Hindley st, the Subaru showroom, the (BMW/Merc Benz? cant remember) showroom, a massive BP with carwash and ontherun, a hungry jacks and a shell petrol station, another car showroom (toyota is it?), some more caryards, and a drive thru bottle shop. At the moment, west tce is awful and I hope things change once the tram and RAH is finished.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#77 Post by Will » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:17 am

cruel_world00 wrote:Adelaide; city of blank walls, car parks and car washes.
I find it really interesting that here in Adelaide, when something bad happens we blame the city, and not those responsible. For example, why aren't you directing your dissapointment at the developers and owners of such sites?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#78 Post by Norman » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:14 am

At least it brings a bit of a mix to the cityscape, it's not just all offices and residential buildings. I think the BP looks great actually, it looks like a classy petrol station. And I'd rather a carwash over a mothballed site.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#79 Post by skyliner » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:58 am

Will wrote:
cruel_world00 wrote:Adelaide; city of blank walls, car parks and car washes.
I find it really interesting that here in Adelaide, when something bad happens we blame the city, and not those responsible. For example, why aren't you directing your dissapointment at the developers and owners of such sites?
So true Will. I think such statements are a reflection of the prevailing thought patterns exhibited by many for so long - it's hard to get separated from the 'osmosis' of such - a bit like speech accents. And probably a lack of research/experience of/in other places.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#80 Post by ynotsfables » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:16 pm

On the upside though a car wash is easy to demolish in the future to accommodate for something better,rather than building something more tangible at this stage.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#81 Post by Omicron » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:26 pm

Realistically speaking, who would want to be the trend-setter on West Tce? It's ten thousand lanes wide, the mix of tenants is already motoring-oriented, it overlooks a cemetery and dreadful people living in bushes, it won't ever have pretty upgrades like North Tce, and it's too far from the centre of town to be walking distance to the tram/train/most bus routes. If these sorts of businesses are going to be anywhere in the CBD, then West Tce seems like the best place for them. Now that Yorke Mitsubishi has gone, I wonder if City Holden (on Grenfell) is harbouring an eventual relocation plan deep-down when the market recovers.

Queen Anne
Donating Member
Donating Member

#82 Post by Queen Anne » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:12 am

Omicron wrote: Realistically speaking, who would want to be the trend-setter on West Tce? It's ten thousand lanes wide, the mix of tenants is already motoring-oriented, it overlooks a cemetery and dreadful people living in bushes, it won't ever have pretty upgrades like North Tce, and it's too far from the centre of town to be walking distance to the tram/train/most bus routes. If these sorts of businesses are going to be anywhere in the CBD, then West Tce seems like the best place for them. Now that Yorke Mitsubishi has gone, I wonder if City Holden (on Grenfell) is harbouring an eventual relocation plan deep-down when the market recovers.
But let's remember, just because people live in bushes doesn't necessarily mean they're dreadful. Sure, it's not a good look for West Terrace but whether these people are lovely or awful doesn't seem relevant to the discussion, as far as I can see.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#83 Post by Will » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:22 pm

Queen Anne wrote:
Omicron wrote: Realistically speaking, who would want to be the trend-setter on West Tce? It's ten thousand lanes wide, the mix of tenants is already motoring-oriented, it overlooks a cemetery and dreadful people living in bushes, it won't ever have pretty upgrades like North Tce, and it's too far from the centre of town to be walking distance to the tram/train/most bus routes. If these sorts of businesses are going to be anywhere in the CBD, then West Tce seems like the best place for them. Now that Yorke Mitsubishi has gone, I wonder if City Holden (on Grenfell) is harbouring an eventual relocation plan deep-down when the market recovers.
But let's remember, just because people live in bushes doesn't necessarily mean they're dreadful. Sure, it's not a good look for West Terrace but whether these people are lovely or awful doesn't seem relevant to the discussion, as far as I can see.
When you get back to Adelaide you'll see that Omicrons right.

In fact it would not be far-fetched to suggest that one of the reasons the office block failed to get interest from potential tenants may be that people are reluctant to be located at a place where they would be harrassed by violent drunks every day.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#84 Post by Prince George » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:32 pm

Will wrote:When you get back to Adelaide you'll see that Omicrons right.
Don't lets start this again. You all have no idea -- no idea -- how often the Queen and I have been asked questions over here by people that hear some news they don't like coming from Australia: about the "pacific solution" and our treatment of asylum seekers; about our miserably piss-weak position on climate change; or about race-relations in Australia and the indigenous situation specifically. The US has some big problems, but at least they admit they exist; we seem to struggle at Step 1. Threads that blame the most disenfranchised section of our community for some shiny new tchotchke not getting built don't leave us with much stomach for the unpleasant task of defending our homeland.

Queen Anne
Donating Member
Donating Member

#85 Post by Queen Anne » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:07 pm

Will wrote:
Queen Anne wrote:
When you get back to Adelaide you'll see that Omicrons right.

In fact it would not be far-fetched to suggest that one of the reasons the office block failed to get interest from potential tenants may be that people are reluctant to be located at a place where they would be harrassed by violent drunks every day.
OK, I can accept that I might be out of touch with this particular situation, since I've been away a fair while. But dreadful behaviour from people can and does come from dreadful circumstances. Saying they're dreadful people kind of lets society off the hook for the situation and that's not fair, imo.

Also, I've spoken to dozens of homeless people since I've been living here in Seattle - even just going to the supermarket for milk, I usually talk to at least one homeless person. It's hard to be sniffy about these people when you see them all the time. There's some decent enough people out there without homes, it seems to me :( That said, the people I see here in Seattle are not violent (though drugs and alcohol are an issue - one man has told me about his alcoholism, and there is also a big crystal meth problem). Is it really true that these homeless people on West Terrace are that bad? It seems odd to me that the Adelaide experience would be so much worse, behaviour wise, than what I am seeing here.

A friend of George's was on a jury about a crack deal in Belltown (which is a newly swank area in downtown Seattle). People build and buy there despite these crime issues having been part of the area's landscape. Is it fair to blame the drunks on West Terrace for the lack of decent development there? I don't know, but it doesn't seem to stop people here from getting on with developments.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#86 Post by Will » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:56 pm

The situation regarding homeless people in the USA and here in Australia is really different. Indeed, I feel sympathy for the homeless people in the USA. As the USA has such a crap social security system with no public health, a private higher education system, a $4.50 minimum wage, and little of the protections we have for working people in Australia I can understand why people can become homeless over there. However, here in Australia where our social security safety net is quite vast, I struggle to feel sympathy for such people. To start here in Australia the government pays for counselling if such people wanted to give up alcohol. The government also pays for such people to attend rehabilitation agencies which pay for training courses, new clothing, hygiene packs and even transport, not to mention find work for them. Furthermore, if the person is Indigenous they get extra beenfits such as abstudy and guaranteed places at university. Homeless people can also qualify for emergency accomodation. As such our social security net is tight, and captures all of us. Those who escape from the net are those which have made a hole in the net and jumped out. In other words, and I know this sounds strong, but I believe that homelessness is a choice here in Australia. Indeed, I remember a news story from a few years ago when the ACC was cleaning up the shantys from the parklands. These people were offered emergency housing, however I remember one of the homeless people said something along the lines that they like living in the parklands.

And I can't understnad how people from the land of George Bush, Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld, as well as the land that has not even signed the Kyoto protocol can criticise anything about Australia....

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#87 Post by Wayno » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:30 pm

Will, the system in Australia still relies on one having the knowhow to improve one's lot in life, and the ability to stick with it. This may appear to you as an innate human trait, but in fact it's predominately learned behaviour (which you have luckily been provided with throughout your life). In fact, this is a cornerstone of our civilisation.

I can imagine many scenarios that place individuals in a position of helplessness, and with no clue as to the way out. Homelessness may appear as a choice to an educated person, but it's the only option to some. My uncle (aged 80+) recently had a stroke which rendered his language (reading/speaking/writing) skills useless. He's now relearning from grade 3 schooling levels - a terrifying situation indeed. I imagine the leap from homelessness to be of an equal or greater magnitude.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#88 Post by rogue » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:27 pm

I'm not sure of everyone’s racial background on here, but the old mantra of white people wanting or telling black people to do things their way is wrong. White Australia has next to no knowledge of Aboriginal history and culture, hence the ongoing problems with integration, housing, alcoholism, drugs etc.

I not saying I have the answer, but I agree with the next in line to the throne. One needs to admit their failings first and then work to achieve a mutually acceptable outcome.

200+ years on from English settlement (some would say invasion), there is still a long way to go.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[CAN] Re: CAN: Police Credit Union | 29m | 8lvls | Office

#89 Post by Ben » Fri May 24, 2013 3:55 pm

Wonder who this is for and what it will look like.
Type: Development Application Received
Application Number: DA/409/2013
Lodgement Date: 23/05/2013
Description: Construct retail warehouse

Applicant Name:

PRUSZINSKI ARCHITECTS P/L