[COM] Tivoli Apartments | 30m | 10lvls | Residential

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: #U/C: Tivoli Apartments - 30m, 10 lvls

#121 Post by Jim » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:41 pm

Wayno wrote:I think the main problem is one of colours. The colour chosen for the old building does not marry well with the high-rise. They look like they have been stuck together with blue-tack.
Yes even glass would have made a better joint or better still replace th entire end wall of the Tiv with glass and continue the front roof pitch to the new building in glass.

wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member

#122 Post by wilkiebarkid » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:07 pm

Norman wrote:I dunno, it still looks like vomit to me.
I'm with you NORMAN.

This is an awful development. Hopefully this is the last of this type of crap. This obsession in Adelaide of preserving something because it is quite old, but not of any architectural significance and then building above and/or behind it ridiculous. This, unfortunately, has been a typical 'Adelaide' insignificant addition to the CBD that is so unremarkable, I am embarrassed.

And...if you want some more examples of 'shite' developments like this, the crap they built near the corner of North Tce and Frome Street (I think it is called ALPHA...the worst looking apartment building I've seen for some time!), and then further along North Tce pretty much a lower rise version of the first. Terrible stuff....and hard to believe that they got approved in the first place, knowing what the ACC are like!

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#123 Post by Jim » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:27 pm

wilkiebarkid wrote:
I'm with you NORMAN.

This is an awful development. Hopefully this is the last of this type of crap. This obsession in Adelaide of preserving something because it is quite old, but not of any architectural significance and then building above and/or behind it ridiculous. This, unfortunately, has been a typical 'Adelaide' insignificant addition to the CBD that is so unremarkable, I am embarrassed.

And...if you want some more examples of 'shite' developments like this, the crap they built near the corner of North Tce and Frome Street (I think it is called ALPHA...the worst looking apartment building I've seen for some time!), and then further along North Tce pretty much a lower rise version of the first. Terrible stuff....and hard to believe that they got approved in the first place, knowing what the ACC are like!

I recently went to an open inspection in the North Tce apartment building next to the chest clinic. I could not believe how poor both the finish and layout was!

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#124 Post by Will » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:00 pm

wilkiebarkid wrote:
I'm with you NORMAN.

Not of architectural significance!? You must be joking. Even if you do not like it, buildings are more than a few walls. The Tivoli Hotel is significant due to its association with the early German community. Parts of the building date back to 1846 and it contains what is believed to be the only remaining 19th century ballroom in Adelaide. Furthermore the building is considered one of the most original surviving 19th century hotels in Adelaide.

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#125 Post by Jim » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:07 pm

Jim wrote:Maybe the old Tiv with its all over render and red roof actually looks like a cheap imitation of an old building rather than the real thing.
I would like to see an original photo. Was it always rendered and have a red roof?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#126 Post by Will » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:14 pm

Jim wrote:
Jim wrote:Maybe the old Tiv with its all over render and red roof actually looks like a cheap imitation of an old building rather than the real thing.
I would like to see an original photo. Was it always rendered and have a red roof?
They didn't have colour photos back then unfortunately! :mrgreen:

However I have read that the building was restored to its former glory. It may even be mentioned in the earlier pages of this thread.

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#127 Post by Jim » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 pm

Will wrote:
Jim wrote:
They didn't have colour photos back then unfortunately! :mrgreen:

However I have read that the building was restored to its former glory. It may even be mentioned in the earlier pages of this thread.
Yes the colour photo was a real oversite!! :oops: :oops:

mgb
High Rise Poster!

#128 Post by mgb » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:33 pm

cruel_world00 wrote:What is to become of the Tivoli? Is it going to reopen as a pub or is it offices or something now?
The guy who did The Union hotel it setting up something new in the Tiv. Not sure exactly on what style, but think pub/wine bar or similar.

Just build it
High Rise Poster!

#129 Post by Just build it » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:43 pm

I'm not too sickened by it. It's far from great but the new building looks average and the Tiv looks average so it's overall average. I'd love to see anyone try reading a newspaper on those eastern end front balconies though. The slightest gust of wind and your Advertiser will be half way to Norwood. Shit design and not enjoyable to use IMHO. :?

The environment it's in does nothing to help it either. Ugly buildings on every side and a sh1thouse looking carpark right next door. Can't believe they left the chicken wire fence up if they own it but they can't be blamed of hiding it in the renders.

Which begs the question, how many renders of you ever seen with a chicken wire fence included? :roll:

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: #COM: Tivoli Apartments | 30m | 10lvls | Residential

#130 Post by jk1237 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:47 pm

I also was unaware that the old Tivoli pub has been reopened into quite a flashy front public bar. Great to see