[COM] City Central 8 | 72m | 20lvls | office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: COM: City Central 8 | 72m | 18lvls | Australian Tax Offi

#781 Post by claybro » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:54 pm

City council often reject tall buildings on the assumption that a tall building towering over a neighboring historic building will overshadow the historic smaller building. Thus we have a city full of shorter buildings built right to the edge of available space. In the pictures of this developement, it would appear a taller structure would be better. Whilst the facade of this building is interesting, the bulk completely overshadows the GPO and 2 adjacent smaller heritage buildings as it fronts right up to the footpath. Dont get me wrong, I think this whole developement is great for the city, but imagine if this building was set well back and say 30 storeys. The facade of the GPO and other buildings would then still have prominence on the street front. Another example of this is the SA water building in Vic SQ. A taller more slender building would not have overshadowed the Cathedral so much as it could be set back and at an angle to the Cathedral and made the cathedral appear taller and more prominent.

Reb-L
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: COM: City Central 8 | 72m | 18lvls | Office

#782 Post by Reb-L » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:24 pm

Yes, I think claybro has got a point; to have blanket height restrictions for a precinct will eventually result in a bulky wall of buildings that are all about the same stunted height. A cityscape with some variety in structure and elevation usually looks better and more interesting. For example; the old 2-3 story shophouses in Singapore look great against 50+ level towers just behind because they don't compete with them - they just complement each other.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#783 Post by ml69 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:36 am

Reb-L wrote:Yes, I think claybro has got a point; to have blanket height restrictions for a precinct will eventually result in a bulky wall of buildings that are all about the same stunted height. A cityscape with some variety in structure and elevation usually looks better and more interesting. For example; the old 2-3 story shophouses in Singapore look great against 50+ level towers just behind because they don't compete with them - they just complement each other.
Spot on Reb-L, Adelaide CBD looks like that now.

Just have a look at the Adelaide skyline from any elevated position in the eastern suburbs (Greenhill Rd, Kensington Rd, The Parade) and you realise that the ACC development guidelines have ultimately resulted in a flat skyline with a dozen or more buildings of approx 18-20 storeys; only punctuated by 4 taller buildings - Westpac House, Grenfell Centre, SA Water and Telstra House. It's rather boring and uninteresting. Fortunately, the CBD skyline looks more varied when viewed from the North and South.

A variety of heights defintely would be more interesting, To that end, the new CBD development guidelines announced earlier this year are a step in the right direction to break up the mono-height look of the Adelaide skyline.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#784 Post by Ben » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:08 am

Public on Franklin Street promises big things for Adelaide's cafe fiends

by:
Valerina Changarathil

adelaidenow

November 14, 2012

ADELAIDE'S newest eatery and bar, Public on Franklin St, will open to CBD workers, cafe enthusiasts and clients wanting a "special" meeting space.
The opening of the cafe, in the city's largest office building, will help to lift retail spirits ahead of the festive season.

The new cafe is designed by owner and interior designer Danielle Elia as a "public space" and run by her husband, Adelaide hospitality guru James Tambakis, who set up the East Terrace Continental, Illy Cafe and Un Caffe Bars.

In the making for six months, the cafe takes up the sole food retail spot leased by developers Aspen Group as part of its $195 million, 17-level Tower 8 development.
It will be open Monday to Friday, with weekends reserved for functions.

It is all about location, price points and pooling the family talent, says Danielle, who also is the silent partner in Paparazzi on Unley Rd, which she designed.
It was her work at Paparazzi and the partnership with James that led to Aspen approaching the duo to lease the spot at Tower 8.

"It's the largest building in SA in terms of occupancy, at about 4000 people. It is in good proximity to Waymouth St and Victoria Square. I knew it was a perfect start," Daniella said.
"It also made me feel confident about it being the right time to start up the business."

The cafe employs four kitchen staff, headed by 2012 Australian Young Chef of the Year Stewart Wesson, five front-end staff and additional staff on Friday nights.
Four corporate bookings are already in the bag for weekends.

James recently quit as chief executive of the Un Caffe franchise chain he set up and subsequently sold to San Remo.
"My involvement with (the) business is hands on," he said.

"This is fantastic for us in terms of the lifestyle, given the five-day business model and our two-year-old boy.
"All my experience is coming into this one place."

Uncle Monty
High Rise Poster!

#785 Post by Uncle Monty » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:22 pm

Australia Post signage has gone up on Tower 8 and I understand that Australia Post staff will be moving in on Friday, 01 Feb.

Will this mean that something will happen with the GPO building, or will it mostly remain empty?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#786 Post by Ben » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:43 pm

Uncle Monty wrote:Australia Post signage has gone up on Tower 8 and I understand that Australia Post staff will be moving in on Friday, 01 Feb.

Will this mean that something will happen with the GPO building, or will it mostly remain empty?
Once the GPO has been vacated plans on turning it into an upmarket Hotel and retail destination can commence assuming Aspen (the developer) don't go broke. They are in some trouble.

Waewick

#787 Post by Waewick » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:52 pm

and all the other hotels being constructed make in unviable.

It is a shame to see it all come to a stand still. hopefully another developer picks up the baton.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#788 Post by neoballmon » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:56 pm

Upmarket hotel? If the present building's (I assume the one by West Tce and Grote Street) exterior is anything to go by, I would assume this building is very out-dated on the inside and needs a considerable amount of work to make it upmarket.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#789 Post by Ben » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:04 pm

neoballmon wrote:Upmarket hotel? If the present building's (I assume the one by West Tce and Grote Street) exterior is anything to go by, I would assume this building is very out-dated on the inside and needs a considerable amount of work to make it upmarket.
The hotel is to be built next to the gpo. The actual gpo building is just proposed for retail.

rhino

#790 Post by rhino » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:25 am

neoballmon wrote:Upmarket hotel? If the present building's (I assume the one by West Tce and Grote Street) exterior is anything to go by, I would assume this building is very out-dated on the inside and needs a considerable amount of work to make it upmarket.
It sounds like you're talking about the Gouger Street Mail Exchange, while we're all talking abouth the GPO on the corner of King William and Franklin in Victoria square.
cheers,
Rhino

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#791 Post by neoballmon » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:30 pm

My apologies, I'm still learning the buildings in the CBD.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] [COM] Re: City Central 8 | 72m | 20lvls | office

#792 Post by Norman » Tue May 15, 2018 4:28 pm

The very dead green wall will finally be renewed in the next few weeks.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: City Central 8 | 72m | 20lvls | office

#793 Post by HiTouch » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:22 pm

Looking beautiful and green now. Very pleasant. (admin, please help me rotate)
Attachments
20181130_110147.jpg
20181130_110147.jpg (2.1 MiB) Viewed 3741 times

EBG

#794 Post by EBG » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:15 pm

Hi Touch's picture rotated & resized. All credit to Hi Touch.
Attachments
20181130_110147 R.jpg
20181130_110147 R.jpg (118.36 KiB) Viewed 3674 times

EBG

#795 Post by EBG » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:16 pm

Nice to see they replanted this wall garden. a few months ago it was totally dead. the owners must have checked out our web site.