[COM] Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Songsting
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[COM] Re: PRO: Victoria Square Upgrade

#931 Post by Songsting » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:56 pm

Finally. Such an important decision, not just to get something happening in our city centre that has been a desert for so long, but also to send signals of activity and action amongst the current mood of economic gloom pervading this state/country. Yarwood, yee har!

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#932 Post by SouthAussie94 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:37 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Why?!?

I understand that the Square needs an upgrade but this just seems like major overkill!
It features major works in the north of the Square, with a new "water play area", an event stage, public lawn space, cafe, trees and sheltered walking spaces.
A second cafe is to be built by the tram stop in the square's south, near where the fountain would be relocated.
So two new cafe's in the space of 100-200m, within walking distance of countless other cafes. Why?!?

Adelaide isn't a massive city. Realistically how many people would use the event stage and public lawn? I understand that for major events these would be useful spaces that could potentially attract large crowds, but the other 40 weeks of the year? We all know that the vast majority of the time these spaces would be largely empty. Why spend millions of dollars building these facilities when the money could be better spent?

Why not spend a few million doing up the Square, and then perhaps spend the rest either in Rundle Mall or the Riverbank? Both of these are closer to the 'central' areas of the city which attract the largest numbers of people. Surely money would be best spent in these areas, upgrading areas which people ALREADY go to?

To those saying "Build it and they will come", have a look at this: http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... =18&t=3995

It just to me seems rather stupid to attract people to the CBD but to then spread them out over a large area. Isn't one of the main aims of this and the Riverbank project to create a vibrant atmosphere? It will hardly be vibrant if you have 300 people in Vic Sq, and 300 at the Riverbank. Wouldnt it be better to have 600 at the Riverbank, or 600 in Vic Sq?
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#933 Post by Will » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:34 pm

From the ACC website:
Victoria Square Gets Green Light

Released: 05/06/2012

Adelaide City Council has endorsed $24 million in funding from its own budget over the next two financial years to begin rejuvenating Victoria Square / Tarndanyangga.

The funding includes $23m investment in the Square plus up to $1m for suitable pedestrian and cyclist improvement initiatives around the corners.

“This is an historic day for the City of Adelaide – we have pushed for so long to make the Victoria Square redevelopment happen and it’s a great feeling to know we have finally started,” Lord Mayor Stephen Yarwood said.

“After 40 years and five plans, this is a significant milestone worthy of celebrating.

“Council’s investment will help attract additional people to the Square, increase activity and provide support to the tram service and regular, programmed events.

“It will also enable Council to collaborate with retailers and community organisations interested in operating from the Square.

“We have listened to community feedback from the Picture Adelaide campaign, Splash Adelaide and the draft Business Plan & Budget and an overall theme is more activities and upgrades to our squares and public spaces.

“The community wants it to happen, the city needs it to happen and I am proud to be part of a progressive Council that has decided to make it a reality.”

The funding will enable a large event space and stage in the northern end of the Square for 5,000 to 7,000 plus an upgrade of the central roadway to be transformed into a plaza for large events. A generous promenade with seating terraces and shelter will also be provided as well as shaded walkways, furniture, a water play feature and landscaping, with tree and garden beds.

A café will be installed near the event lawn and a café / kiosk will be also put in the southern end near the tram stop.

The recently state heritage listed Three Rivers Fountain and Queen Victoria statue will be refurbished and relocated within the Square.

Other features of the original Master Plan including a tram line and road reconfiguration, a large urban garden and the proposed Kaurna Culture Centre will be staged as further funding becomes available.

“The upgrade will generate jobs and create economic benefit to the local area, greater metropolitan Adelaide and South Australia,” Stephen said.

Deputy Lord Mayor David Plumridge said the timing is right for the city.

“It will help attract people into the centre of the city and will bring increased business to other precincts, including Gouger Street,” David said.

Adelaide City Council CEO Peter Smith said that now funding had been approved, work on the contract documentation and procurement process will begin straight away.

“Construction is expected to start early next year and will finish by December next year for use by Tour Down Under in January 2014.

“We will still need to deliver the project in stages but this initial funding will mean we will start to see some tangible outcomes over the coming two years that will transform the Square into an accessible, lively and people-focused space,” Peter said.

“It will provide immediate community value and improve amenity.”

Ben Yates, General Manager of Aspen Developments said, “The nearby open space of Victoria Square is a very important ingredient in the amenity enjoyed by those working, living or just passing through the city and our own development Precinct.

“We are delighted that the Council has approved funding that will create a vibrant, cultural and active space and garden in the heart of the city for today and future generations.”

Chair of the new Central Market Authority, Judy Potter, said “The investment in Victoria Square is exciting for Adelaide and the Central Market. Victoria Square will become the 'hub', bringing more people to the precinct and our iconic market."

For updates throughout the project and further information on the Victoria Square Masterplan visit http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/deve ... danyangga/

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#934 Post by SRW » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:23 am

So long as its a step along the way to achieving the complete master plan, I'm happy. Although, I almost wish they'd gone for the option of realigning the square now to reduce wastage when it comes to filling in the spaces.
SouthAussie94 wrote:Why not spend a few million doing up the Square, and then perhaps spend the rest either in Rundle Mall or the Riverbank? Both of these are closer to the 'central' areas of the city which attract the largest numbers of people. Surely money would be best spent in these areas, upgrading areas which people ALREADY go to?
Those areas are already having huge sums of money spent on them. This isn't a zero sum game. All areas of the city matter and Victoria Square matters far more than you seem to believe.
To those saying "Build it and they will come", have a look at this: http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... =18&t=3995
I don't think there's any argument for that; the 'they' in this situation are already here and more are coming. Look at the increasing development in the vicinity of the Square. But people aren't going to make use of a inhospitable space.
Keep Adelaide Weird

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#935 Post by crawf » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:22 am

Great news. But I agree with the below comment
SRW wrote:So long as its a step along the way to achieving the complete master plan, I'm happy. Although, I almost wish they'd gone for the option of realigning the square now to reduce wastage when it comes to filling in the spaces.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#936 Post by Kasey771 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:30 am

Waewick wrote:sounds like we have movement at the station.
will celebrate when I see a spade in the ground/dirt being moved etc. :banana: :banana: looking good though
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#937 Post by Wayno » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:27 am

crawf wrote:Great news. But I agree with the below comment
SRW wrote:So long as its a step along the way to achieving the complete master plan, I'm happy. Although, I almost wish they'd gone for the option of realigning the square now to reduce wastage when it comes to filling in the spaces.
+2. my sentiments exactly. Hopefully no need to rip up any of this 1st stage work on the way to the overall master plan
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#938 Post by Nathan » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:03 pm

Wayno wrote:
crawf wrote:Great news. But I agree with the below comment
+2. my sentiments exactly. Hopefully no need to rip up any of this 1st stage work on the way to the overall master plan
Looking at the two plans, the only things that look like they would be removed are the two short shaded walkways (replaced by the large arbours), which I'm sure could easily be repurposed elsewhere.

AdelaideAlive
High Rise Poster!

#939 Post by AdelaideAlive » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:30 pm

So now we have victoria square, elder park and festival square all jossling for ,markets, concerts,etc,etc.can someone now tell me what the purpose of festival square will now be for cause im confused,were supposed to be attractacting people to the riverbank precinct but now were dividing the city with an event tug of war between 3 places,got me totally confused,not that im against an upgrade but why does it need to be a place thats fighting with other areas of the city for events :2cents:

rhino

#940 Post by rhino » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:52 pm

Empire building?

The State Government says "We're going to build a big event space on the Riverbank, somewhere where all Adelaidians can go to relax, watch a concert, attend a big event ..."

So Adelaide City Council says "We're going to build a big event space in Victoria Square, somewhere where all Adelaidians can go to relax, watch a concert, attend a big event ..."

I'm waiting for the Federal Government to start building a big event space for us in ...... Adelaide Airport?

Still, good to see something happening at last. Hope it gets used.
cheers,
Rhino

mutt
High Rise Poster!

#941 Post by mutt » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:39 pm

AdelaideAlive wrote:So now we have victoria square, elder park and festival square all jossling for ,markets, concerts,etc,etc.can someone now tell me what the purpose of festival square will now be for cause im confused,were supposed to be attractacting people to the riverbank precinct but now were dividing the city with an event tug of war between 3 places,got me totally confused,not that im against an upgrade but why does it need to be a place thats fighting with other areas of the city for events :2cents:
its all about drumming up business for the building industry chief

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#942 Post by Wayno » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:29 pm

AdelaideAlive wrote:why does it need to be a place thats fighting with other areas of the city for events :2cents:
not fighting - complementing, providing options, creating destinations...

It's sometimes better to have two things instead of one (Now where have i previously heard that?)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#943 Post by monotonehell » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:18 pm

Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#944 Post by SouthAussie94 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:13 pm

rhino wrote: The State Government says "We're going to build a big event space on the Riverbank, somewhere where all Adelaidians can go to relax, watch a concert, attend a big event ..."

So Adelaide City Council says "We're going to build a big event space in Victoria Square, somewhere where all Adelaidians can go to relax, watch a concert, attend a big event ..."
This is one of my major issues with the redevelopment.
We're creating all of these places for events to be held and for people to go, but realistically are the numbers of events being held and the number of people attending going to increase drastically in the next few years? While there will no doubt be an increase, surely not a large enough increase to warrant such massive spending towards these areas.

Why are they spending however many million on the Riverbank if their aim is for Victoria Square to be the main event holding area and vice versa.

And correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the vote only one by 1 vote? (5-6 if I'm not mistaken). This shows that even the councillors aren't quite convinced about the need for the redevelopment.

As I've said before, I support a redevelopment of some kind, just not to the extent planned. :2cents:
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Nathan

#945 Post by Nathan » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:53 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:And correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the vote only one by 1 vote? (5-6 if I'm not mistaken). This shows that even the councillors aren't quite convinced about the need for the redevelopment.
Although remember, some of the no votes were by councillors that would have voted no regardless of the plan or conditions (no need to name the obvious names).