[COM] Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Reb-L
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: SWP: Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

#1201 Post by Reb-L » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:24 pm

Allkai wrote:The significant tree that remained in the north-west corner was re-located over the weekend.

I drove through Saturday afternoon as it was being craned onto the truck, but wasnt quick enough to get a pic....
It's new home is at the corner of Glen Osmond Rd and South Tce (yes, this is off-thread).

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1202 Post by monotonehell » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:41 pm

Reb-L wrote:
Allkai wrote:The significant tree that remained in the north-west corner was re-located over the weekend.

I drove through Saturday afternoon as it was being craned onto the truck, but wasnt quick enough to get a pic....
It's new home is at the corner of Glen Osmond Rd and South Tce (yes, this is off-thread).
Not at all off-thread, but you misused an apostrophe so you still lose a demerit point.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Reb-L
High Rise Poster!

#1203 Post by Reb-L » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:11 am

monotonehell wrote:
Reb-L wrote: It's new home is at the corner of Glen Osmond Rd and South Tce (yes, this is off-thread).
Not at all off-thread, but you misused an apostrophe so you still lose a demerit point.
Oops, how did that happen? Theirs nuthin that pisses me off more then peoples that cannot put there dots and things in their wright places.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#1204 Post by mattblack » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:31 am

It cost $150,000 to move ........ again. It's original location was in the southern part of Vic Sq and was moved when the tramline was relocated.

Punishment466
High Rise Poster!

#1205 Post by Punishment466 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:48 am

mattblack wrote:

It cost $150,000 to move ........ again. It's original location was in the southern part of Vic Sq and was moved when the tramline was relocated.
What's the importance of this tree? Forgive my ignorance, but to me from a distance it just looks like.. a tree?

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1206 Post by Waewick » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:25 pm

Punishment466 wrote:
mattblack wrote:

What's the importance of this tree? Forgive my ignorance, but to me from a distance it just looks like.. a tree?
it is worth $300k :hilarious:

[Shuz]

#1207 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:52 pm

How can a tree be worth $300k? That's more than some houses!
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Allkai
High Rise Poster!

#1208 Post by Allkai » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:04 pm

Punishment466 wrote:
mattblack wrote:

I assume it has a trunk diameter > than that which makes a tree "significant".......

http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/asse ... -Trees.pdf

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#1209 Post by mattblack » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:09 pm

Allkai wrote:
Punishment466 wrote:
mattblack wrote:
I assume it has a trunk diameter > than that which makes a tree "significant".......

http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/asse ... -Trees.pdf
Correct. If it has been classed as significant (e.g. bloody big) you can't just chop them down, you need council permission and only under certain conditions (diseased, hazardous to property or lives ... etc) will this be granted.

Waewick

#1210 Post by Waewick » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:58 pm

[Shuz] wrote:How can a tree be worth $300k? That's more than some houses!
sorry I was adding up the $150k cost of moving twice

Allkai
High Rise Poster!

#1211 Post by Allkai » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:52 am

I wonder if whoever dug up the fibre cable has finished filling out forms yet!

:D

No light sequencing has make a real mess of the traffic.....

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#1212 Post by Kasey771 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:07 pm

Matt wrote:Don't mind the idea of food vans for the Square rather than the permanent cafes?

Vic Square could become a hub for these vans and give people a reason to visit. I'd be more inclined to pop down, say, on a lunch break and see what's about rather than if I knew it was the same-old Vic Square Funk outlet for example.

The fact that the vans would be changing and evolving would help to keep things interesting, IMO.
combine this with the return of the pie cart and I'm in 100% agreement with you. :banana:
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#1213 Post by Matt » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:57 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372055265.167927.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372055265.167927.jpg (73.92 KiB) Viewed 3477 times
Birds eye view from the ACC webcam.

http://www.cityofadelaide.com.au/information/webcams

Vee
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: #U/C: Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

#1214 Post by Vee » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:22 pm

Wow!
I drove through the centre of Victoria Square today and it looks like a bomb zone. I knew the northern side of the Square had been dug up but was unprepared to see how much of the southern half was fenced off and in a similar state.

The Square plays an important role as the Village for the Tour Down Under in January. Not long to go now. The Fountain needs to be set up in its new location. Is this going to be at the southern end of the Square or more central?

The ACC has a huge responsibility in redeveloping multiple projects (Vic Sq, Rundle Mall, Vic Pk) for our city and meeting certain deadlines. I wish I was more confident.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: #U/C: Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

#1215 Post by mattblack » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:39 am

Vee wrote:Wow!
I drove through the centre of Victoria Square today and it looks like a bomb zone. I knew the northern side of the Square had been dug up but was unprepared to see how much of the southern half was fenced off and in a similar state.

The Square plays an important role as the Village for the Tour Down Under in January. Not long to go now. The Fountain needs to be set up in its new location. Is this going to be at the southern end of the Square or more central?

The ACC has a huge responsibility in redeveloping multiple projects (Vic Sq, Rundle Mall, Vic Pk) for our city and meeting certain deadlines. I wish I was more confident.
The whole central roadway is going to be done under this scedule of building works but most of the services were in the southern end. Massive job because the services also go under the tramline which they couldn't disrupt. The paving for the southern part should be to far off, they are on schedule although the timeline for the TDU is very, very tight - right down to a week to spare I believe. The fountain is being restored as we speak although installing it in the very south of the southern part of the square is not a priority before the TDU.

I'm sure the wet weather hasn't helped things to move any quicker, there were swimming pools of mud throughout the square earlier this week.

I wouldn't be suprised if the government came to the party with the next election and announced the realignment of the roadways and tram as per the plan. You can see from the picture that the tram will disect the western promanade a fair bit.