[COM] Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: #U/C: Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

#1516 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:05 pm

Nathan wrote:
metro wrote:Lots of cars driving into the curved bus only section in the middle of the square, as a pedestrian I've had a few near-misses by some blind motorists who clearly dont see the "bus-only" sign :roll:
We get people routinely driving on to the O-Bahn, so not surprised people ignore a single 'bus-only' sign. (That also applies to the bus lanes on Curry/Grenfell, and Botanic Rd.)
Kellogg's must be putting driving licences on the back of Crunchy Nut boxes.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#1517 Post by Phantom » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:23 am

INCOMING REQUEST!!!

If anyone has a really good camera and has a spare ten minutes in the City, could you possibly do me a massive favour?

Seeing as how you're in the Victoria Square thread, I'm sure you'll get where abouts I'd like a photo from. :P

I drove through the Square for the umpteenth time last night and I'm truly amazed about how well the lighting and architecture look at the moment. The City looks awesome from the perspective around the tram stop in front of the Hilton and also just south of that intersection, looking north towards the main northern city area. If anyone could take a few shots of this, that would be awesome and much appreciated. I have a few friends overseas who are quite curious as to what I'm on about when I say that they have to see how good this looks in my opinion, and unfortunately my phone camera just can't cut it...

Also, while talking about how it looks, I have to admit, I have nothing but praise for the perspective of the Quest building from the Square. It looks like both a nice density filler and also I actually think that at night the Quest logo looks quite smooth, and during the day it helps the Optus Building no longer stand out like crazy (along with that Credit Union building).
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1518 Post by monotonehell » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:38 am

I've seen someone (different) with a tripod there most nights going past from work. I think there will be a tonne of photos soon. Somewhere...
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] #U/C: Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

#1519 Post by Paulns » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:47 am

Looks awesome at night! I really hope they find the money to go through with the remaining stages.
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1520 Post by Paulns » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:35 am

Here's a few photos I took recently of the fountain under lights!

"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1521 Post by rhino » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:26 pm

Love your photography Paul - more like these please!
cheers,
Rhino

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1522 Post by Paulns » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:49 pm

I'll work on it Rhino, thanks!
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#1523 Post by Phantom » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:01 pm

Paul, if you could take a photo at night of the northern side of the Square (mainly of the Post Office, KW and the Town Hall) from the perspective of around the tramstop, that would make me really happy! :D
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1524 Post by Paulns » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:29 pm

I'll have to go out and have a look next time Phantom. I'd love to be able to get up into one of the surrounding buildings and take a shot of the whole square looking down, at night!
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

Songsting
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1525 Post by Songsting » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:47 pm

Paulns, they are exceptional photos -great work!

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1526 Post by Wayno » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:05 pm

currently some issue/confusion (mayoral election jockeying?) with the new VSQ road pavers? slippery when wet? apparently same issue occurred in Hindley St West - how was that resolved?

This is all new news to me.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1527 Post by SRW » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:56 pm

Wayno wrote:currently some issue/confusion (mayoral election jockeying?) with the new VSQ road pavers? slippery when wet? apparently same issue occurred in Hindley St West - how was that resolved?

This is all new news to me.
AFAIK, as council hasn't yet determined whether the Hindley Street problem relates to wrongly-used pavers or installation, they're exercising caution in Victoria Square as it shared the same construction contractor (though different designers). They've wisely lowered the speed limit to 25km/h pending slip test results.
Keep Adelaide Weird

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#1528 Post by JamesXander » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:26 pm

I get the feeling that this whole paver-gate is going to sink Yarwoods re-election chances. Don't get me a wrong I think what he has done is great for the city, but sheeesh what a muck up.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1529 Post by Pikey » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:37 pm

Yeah, evidently the whole slip factor of the pavers was overlooked, and in the wet they are meant to be incredibly slippery, to the point cars travelling at low speeds were locking up when braking. Same for cyclists.

Seems like a fair whack of a stuff up too.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1530 Post by SRW » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:48 pm

JamesXander wrote:I get the feeling that this whole paver-gate is going to sink Yarwoods re-election chances. Don't get me a wrong I think what he has done is great for the city, but sheeesh what a muck up.
I think that's little bit catrastrophising. For one thing, it's misunderstanding the Lord Mayor's role and responsibilities. For another, it doesn't appear that council has done anything explicitly wrong; it paid qualified groups to design and deliver a project according to their own expertise. If there's been a mess up, it's on them. The council's public realm objectives remain valid. But more than anything, the problem is temporary -- it's presumably fixable, and even if not, 10km/h in a highly pedestrianised section of Hindley Street is not a wholly unreasonable ongoing limit.
Keep Adelaide Weird