[COM] Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: What next for Victoria Square?

#106 Post by jk1237 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:06 pm

crikeys, that thing in the park in chicago looks scary :lol: It looks like a giant slug wandering around. Whats everybody's thoughts on a tower for the square. Not a horrid Sydney or Auckland Tower, but a nice simple, but significant structure. It would look so great to look down King W St, and Grote/Wakefield St to see an imposing tower to signify the centre of the city. Even something like the flagpole structure thats on top of Parliament House in Canberra. It has 4 large beams from the ground that meet together and then goes upwards

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#107 Post by Cruise » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:13 am

bmw boy wrote: also, not much of a fan of the fountain.... i think a new water feature would go nicely ...
Maybe our native land owners can just piss where they want and tip beer everywhere, that would make a nice water feature lol :lol:

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#108 Post by Ho Really » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:34 am

Anyone thought of an iconic building? Somewhere in the centre or just south of it. Something similar to the glass pyramid at the Louvre in Paris. It would have to be accessed by the public as well, not something like the metallic slung just seen. Could it be in honour of SA's aborigines? Thoughts?

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#109 Post by bmw boy » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:53 am

I'd like to see a plan that keeps the square open. A glass building could be able to pull that off.

Maybe a restuarnt/bar ontop of it?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#110 Post by Will » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:37 pm

Ho Really wrote:Anyone thought of an iconic building? Somewhere in the centre or just south of it. Something similar to the glass pyramid at the Louvre in Paris. It would have to be accessed by the public as well, not something like the metallic slung just seen. Could it be in honour of SA's aborigines? Thoughts?

Cheers
Why not use the glass pyrammid as a mausoleum where the body of a prominent South Australian leader like Don Dunstan or Tom Playford may be placed. There could then be a ceremonial changing of the guard each day too.

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#111 Post by Al » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:18 pm

Ho Really wrote:Anyone thought of an iconic building? Somewhere in the centre or just south of it. Something similar to the glass pyramid at the Louvre in Paris. It would have to be accessed by the public as well, not something like the metallic slung just seen. Could it be in honour of SA's aborigines? Thoughts?

Cheers
I didn't say we should have the "slug", only that we should have a decent interesting attraction. What honour do you propose to bestow on our SA aborigines? Paintings or perhaps boomerangs? If so, it'll only bring museum visitors not the general public. I'd also worry about cooling a big glass pyramid in our Australian summer.

rhino

#112 Post by rhino » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:28 pm

I would rather see trees, perhaps a lake, an amphetheatre, and see it get used a bit like Elder Park is currently used.
cheers,
Rhino

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#113 Post by Al » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:46 pm

rhino wrote:I would rather see trees, perhaps a lake, an amphetheatre, and see it get used a bit like Elder Park is currently used.
A big water feature (much bigger than the fountain) would be great but I think it's got fat chance of getting through with current water restrictions.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#114 Post by bmw boy » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:51 pm

Will wrote:

Cheers
Why not use the glass pyrammid as a mausoleum where the body of a prominent South Australian leader like Don Dunstan or Tom Playford may be placed. There could then be a ceremonial changing of the guard each day too.
why have a glass pyramid... when france has one?

We need something original!

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#115 Post by Shuz » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:16 pm

How about... an observation tower in the middle of the square, surrounded by open space - but the turret on top is two glass pyramids stacked on top of each other, seperated by a open-air observation deck) Now thats thinking.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#116 Post by omada » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:19 pm

yeh i agree with rhino , an amphitheater would be cool, maybe something like Melbourne's Myer Music Bowl that'd be sweet..

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#117 Post by bm7500 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:57 pm

Cruise Control wrote:
bmw boy wrote: also, not much of a fan of the fountain.... i think a new water feature would go nicely ...
Maybe our native land owners can just piss where they want and tip beer everywhere, that would make a nice water feature lol :lol:
LOL Thats Gold! :lol:

Ho Really

#118 Post by Ho Really » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:29 pm

Al wrote:I didn't say we should have the "slug", only that we should have a decent interesting attraction.
Wasn't imply you wanted the "slug". I agree we need something iconic that people can be attracted to and access.
What honour do you propose to bestow on our SA aborigines? Paintings or perhaps boomerangs? If so, it'll only bring museum visitors not the general public.
That was only a suggestion. Like you said a museum is mostly for tourists and the occasional local. We could honour the SA aborigines by something that could have an aboriginal design.
I'd also worry about cooling a big glass pyramid in our Australian summer.
The pyramid thing was only suggestion and I only used that as an example. Wouldn't want to copy the one at the Louvre. Ours could be another shape, and could be made of other materials as well, but metal structures with glass (like Federation Square) can be cooled easily. For starters double glazed glass could be used. I think the major issue is not so much whether we want an iconic building but what will it be used for.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

urban
Legendary Member!

#119 Post by urban » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:50 pm

Relocate the bicentennial conservatory to the middle of Vic Sq. Running north south it is the perfect shape.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#120 Post by bmw boy » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:11 pm

on the way home today i saw 2 guys measuring out some stuff in the middle of vic sq fountain side.... so didnt really look like anything to do with the tram... I wonder, who they were and what they were doing

Also... i was looking at the treees in the square and to be honest i think they are all pretty ugly... and theres no consistancy between them, I hope they get replaced!