[COM] Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: #Proposal: 97m Victoria Square Tower

#181 Post by Pants » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:45 pm

I'd imagine it's as simple as...

Council allow the developer to operate a carpark on their land under a very favourable lease in exchange for the developer funding the proposal. Developer gets the profits from the carpark and puts them towards the development costs before handing the carpark back over to the council.

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#182 Post by stelaras » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:36 pm

well said pants!

and yes its basically as simple as that

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#183 Post by skyliner » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:23 pm

As has been said, such a visionary proposal should keep a visionary projection of the impact in say 10 - 20 years time when building heights increase. Needs to be 150 - 200 m in height at least, draw the eye to it from all angles and is iconic. Somewhat of the size on your cut and paste momentkiller.

Is this tower being proposed as offices, resi, hotel, a conglomeration of all or non functional?

When Ilived in Adelaide I always thought Vic Sq. was somewhat of a letdown - especially when you could see right through the northern CBD into a 'hole' with nothing beyond. A tower near the centre would block off the empty vast horizon beyond Sth. Tce. and give the much desired pyramid impact in the geographical centre of the city.

Revolving restuarant near the top would be impressive.

Hope it actually happens - appears to have been a good degree od resistance in past times.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE.
Jack.

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

#184 Post by JAKJ » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:55 pm

There is no way any significant commercial structure (like a high rise) Should be built in vic square. Both roads need to be tunneled or in the case of the west east perhaps closed and victoria square actually turned into a proper public square. Then perhaps we can look at putting a federation square style structure at the centre, something truly unique, distinct, artistic and above all PUBLIC!

Will409
Legendary Member!

#185 Post by Will409 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:21 pm

If one really wanted to, they could just build the tower on the former Victoria Square tram terminus site. May be big enough if the tower was designed properly. Shift the paving over around the base so it can be large enough to take the tower and ofcourse, would have the new Victoria Square tram stop virtually next door so public transport isn't an issue.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#186 Post by Splashmo » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:23 pm

While I was initially against the idea of a tower in Victoria Square, I think it could work well if done correctly.

It would really have to be something special - not just another glass box. We're talking even more special than the Heart of Glass on Currie Street.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#187 Post by Brando » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:25 pm

Left my message of support too.

Great idea, but i agree with most. Needs to be big and of the best inspiring architecture out there.

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#188 Post by Paulns » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:26 pm

Totally agree, 97 metres is way to small and is really an insult to this city???????
If Something is to be built in the heart of the city and I believe it should. The building should be atleast 200 to 300 metres tall, minimum, and be not just a focal point but a internationally recognised building such as Centre Point Tower in Sydney or the Eureka Tower in Melbourne. We have to really start thinking with a bold new vision for Adelaide. The old,"City of churches", tag just doesnt cut the mustard in this modern world now and really has become a bit dated. Start thinking outside the square and build a monument with some flare to this great state!!!!!! :D :D
By the way Auckland in New Zealand is a similar size to Adelaide and look what there tower did to there city????? People around the world instantly recognise the place just from that one single building!!!!!!!!!!
I wanta see somethin thats really gunna show up the stuck eastern seaboard!!!!!! 8)
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#189 Post by Bulldozer » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:04 pm

Sorry, but I agree with JAKJ. It would be a damn shame to see the square built on. There is already ample car parking within the city and I would much rather see the roads changed so it is a true square and pedestrian friendly. Why can't such a tower be built elsewhere like on the edge of the square? (The park next to the new SA Water building immediately springs to mind.) I can imagine in the future that Victoria Square will have a similar look to that of Central Park in New York - a large swathe of green amongst a sea of high-density urbanity.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#190 Post by jimmy_2486 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:09 pm

Yeah I reckon it could be Adelaides version of Sydneys Centrepoint tower....however it should look different from it.

Adamo
Gold-Member ;)

#191 Post by Adamo » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:22 pm

so is this an actual proposal? like will it go to the ACC?
http://twitter.com//tarcobello
http://mrpianoman.com
'we've had some times i wouldn't trade for the world..'
Rise Against

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#192 Post by Will » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:35 pm

Bulldozer wrote:(The park next to the new SA Water building immediately springs to mind.) .
The park in front of the cathedral is way too small for a tower, and also building anything there would block the cathedral from view from the square, which would be something negative.

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#193 Post by Düsseldorfer » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:56 am

i agree that it should be something taller than 100m, but it should not be built on the square.

I have an idea where the building is constructed just south of the law courts over a section of king william street. A road tunnel should be made underneath so that traffic can flow through just as before but i'm not sure about how the tram would go. Maybe the tram could run at ground level and go through the base of the tower. I think that too would look cool, but i would have to see a render of the other one...

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#194 Post by bmw boy » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:59 am

Would it be structurally possible to build a 200m Tower in the middle of the Square with a tunnel/underpass directly underneath?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#195 Post by SRW » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:31 am

I'm personally favourable towards the idea of some sort of towering vista in Victoria Square, whether it be along the lines of a skyline dominating tower, like the CN Tower in Toronto, or an obelisk as in Buenos Aires or Washington. I'd only support such, however, if its footprint was small enough to allow for practical use of the rest of the square.

Here's a shot which shows just how bold a statement the CN Tower makes over the rest of Toronto's skyline:

Keep Adelaide Weird