[COM] Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
RoiMartel
Gold-Member ;)

[COM] Re: Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

#1621 Post by RoiMartel » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:12 pm

Last edited by RoiMartel on Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1622 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:26 pm

RoiMartel wrote:
MessiahAndrw wrote:I know this would have been politically unviable, but imagine if they would pedestrianise the ring of roads around Victoria Square. Victoria Square is my 2nd favourite square after Moseley Square in Glenelg, mostly because Moseley Square doesn't have a road wrapped around it. It's 100% continuous people space. If Victoria Square ran straight up to the building fronts, it would easily be, in my opinion, The Best Square in Adelaide, worthy of any world city.

So imagine if Victoria square did not have a ring of roads around it, and instead extended all of the way up to the building fronts. It would be surrounded by premium office and residential space, since you could simply ride a lift to the ground floor and step outside into The Best Square in Adelaide. Restaurants can put seating in front of their shop and customers can actually sit in The Best Square in Adelaide, and not on the footpath across the street to The Best Square in Adelaide.

Concerning traffic:
- The cheap option that would tick off motorists: Pedestrianising Victoria Square would deduce demand so you'll see less motorists using the CBD as a thoroughfare. We are working on the North-South Corridor to handle much of this traffic.
- The expensive option that would please motorists: Connecting Wakefield St/Grote Street and King William Street with an underpass under The Best Square in Adelaide.

What do you think?
YES,YES,YES!!!!! Make it happen!!!!!!!!!!!!
Whilst I admire your insight, it wouldn't work.

This isn't even about the disadvantage it would be for cars (I don't really care about cars :wink:), you can't just block off two of the primary city thoroughfares for buses... Sure, you could re-direct them, but that would be completely unproductive. However... If you were to create access roads for buses and service vehicles only, then I'd probably agree with your idea more.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1623 Post by monotonehell » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:37 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
RoiMartel wrote:
MessiahAndrw wrote:I know this would have been politically unviable, but imagine if they would pedestrianise the ring of roads around Victoria Square. Victoria Square is my 2nd favourite square after Moseley Square in Glenelg, mostly because Moseley Square doesn't have a road wrapped around it. It's 100% continuous people space. If Victoria Square ran straight up to the building fronts, it would easily be, in my opinion, The Best Square in Adelaide, worthy of any world city.

So imagine if Victoria square did not have a ring of roads around it, and instead extended all of the way up to the building fronts. It would be surrounded by premium office and residential space, since you could simply ride a lift to the ground floor and step outside into The Best Square in Adelaide. Restaurants can put seating in front of their shop and customers can actually sit in The Best Square in Adelaide, and not on the footpath across the street to The Best Square in Adelaide.

Concerning traffic:
- The cheap option that would tick off motorists: Pedestrianising Victoria Square would deduce demand so you'll see less motorists using the CBD as a thoroughfare. We are working on the North-South Corridor to handle much of this traffic.
- The expensive option that would please motorists: Connecting Wakefield St/Grote Street and King William Street with an underpass under The Best Square in Adelaide.

What do you think?
YES,YES,YES!!!!! Make it happen!!!!!!!!!!!!
Whilst I admire your insight, it wouldn't work.

This isn't even about the disadvantage it would be for cars (I don't really care about cars :wink:), you can't just block off two of the primary city thoroughfares for buses... Sure, you could re-direct them, but that would be completely unproductive. However... If you were to create access roads for buses and service vehicles only, then I'd probably agree with your idea more.
This is why we keep coming back to either running KWS right down the middle (it's a bit late for that now with the work that has been done on the northern side). Or pushing KWS to one side.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1624 Post by omada » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:14 am

+1 to all of the above posts! Yes perhaps running KWS to one side, with only trams and buses able to use it would be an elegant solution.

I wish I could be optimistic about such a prospect.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#1625 Post by Goodsy » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:44 am

Build a non stop ring road around the CBD and cut off the north south traffic entirely

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1626 Post by SRW » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:46 pm

This article about the incomplete and unsuccessful nature of Victoria Square as a public space and place of reconciliation at CityMag made me wonder: whither the redevelopment? Is there no-one in the current council or state government interested in seeing the masterplan (which so motivated us all on this forum back in 2010) completed? Such a shame.
Keep Adelaide Weird

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: [COM] Re: Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

#1627 Post by citywatcher » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:13 pm

SRW wrote:This article about the incomplete and unsuccessful nature of Victoria Square as a public space and place of reconciliation at CityMag made me wonder: whither the redevelopment? Is there no-one in the current council or state government interested in seeing the masterplan (which so motivated us all on this forum back in 2010) completed? Such a shame.
Of course there isn't
Too hard too expensive etc

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#1628 Post by Mpol03 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:23 pm

But the fact there has been no attempt to even finish the other grass area as per the master plan, is so poor. Our main square and it’s only half finished? Only here, I swear. It really reflects quite poorly on our government at this point.

wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1629 Post by wilkiebarkid » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:05 pm

Mpol03 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:23 pm
But the fact there has been no attempt to even finish the other grass area as per the master plan, is so poor. Our main square and it’s only half finished? Only here, I swear. It really reflects quite poorly on our government at this point.
From Wiki

In 2012 the Adelaide City Council endorsed $24 million in funding to begin rejuvenating Victoria Square. Construction commenced in March 2013 and the first of two planned stages (the northern half) was completed in February 2014. The planned redevelopment of the southern half has been held up due to lack of funding. The full development included:

A relocation of the statue of Queen Victoria slightly to the north
Future 'Fire' themed artwork
Relocated tram line
Perimeter streets
Information Experience Centre
Water feature
Mullabakka Centre (Kaurna Centre of Culture)
Cafe
Productive gardens
Perimeter gardens

Event Lawn to accommodate medium to large events of
up to 9,000 people, with terraces and service area
Extended tram stop
Bicycle Hub
Public toilets
Bio-filtration & Wetland gardens
Garden terraces
Arcadian Grove relocated
Arbours
Perimeter footpaths
Three Rivers Fountain relocated to the south

From Indaily

Lord Mayor Martin Haese says a future city council should finish what Stephen Yarwood’s council started, endorsing a State Government declaration that the council is primarily responsible for redeveloping the southern half of Victoria Square.

UNTIL THESE IDIOTS SELL OFF 88 O'CONNELL STREET they won't have money for anything but garbage collection!!

EBG

#1630 Post by EBG » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:59 pm

Martin Haese is no longer lord mayor.

wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1631 Post by wilkiebarkid » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:38 pm

EBG wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:59 pm
We all know that. The inference here is who's responsibility it is to finish the job! Mpo03 is obviously anti Liberal Party so if something doesn't get done, it's their fault rather than the the responsible body which in this case is the most inept council in the Universe.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: [COM] Re: Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

#1632 Post by Norman » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:19 pm

wilkiebarkid wrote:
EBG wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:59 pm
We all know that. The inference here is who's responsibility it is to finish the job! Mpo03 is obviously anti Liberal Party so if something doesn't get done, it's their fault rather than the the responsible body which in this case is the most inept council in the Universe.
That's very harsh. The council can only do what it can with the budget it has.

The first stage of Victoria Square was completed using a massive loan, which is probably still being repaid. Hopefully once the council has more spare funds available it can complete the project.

Nort

#1633 Post by Nort » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:43 pm

I want King William Street turned into a two way road on the east of the square, with the western side turned into part of the square. With the upcoming Central Market renovation it would allow it to be tied together really well.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1634 Post by SRW » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:57 pm

Nort wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:43 pm
I want King William Street turned into a two way road on the east of the square, with the western side turned into part of the square. With the upcoming Central Market renovation it would allow it to be tied together really well.
I'm not wholly convinced by that layout (it was one of the options considered for the masterplan) but I do agree that, whatever happens, the square MUST be dealt with at the same time as the Central Market redevelopment. Which should really on the agenda by now given the 2017 EOI expressed 2020 as the construction start date. (And while we're throwing ideas around, I still think the Le Corden Bleu/Tourism & Hospitality School should be based in the market).
Keep Adelaide Weird

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#1635 Post by how good is he » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:22 pm

While I am all for a an upgrade when I saw the TDU Village [and other events] they need largely just a blank open space/grassed area for all the marquees etc. The original plan was pretty involved [see post #1629 above] with things like water features, native gardens, toilets, kiosk etc etc. What does the forum think exactly should be built considering it may negatively impact on the demands of these events? I mean they could just probably landscape it all probably for $1m-2m - would that do?