[CAN] Bendigo & Adelaide Bank | 167 Pirie St | 49.5m | 11 lvl

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[CAN] Re: #PRO: New headquarters for Bendigo and Adelaide Bank

#46 Post by Howie » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:13 pm

Looked decent.. i'll try to get a scan of it later.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#47 Post by UrbanSG » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:28 pm

Not sure about rising high as mentioned in the article, more like riding low to fit with Council's height requirements. One positive feature is the interesting design.

From today's advertiser, bit of photoshop work to get rid of the article and expand the size. The smaller pic is a perspective from inside the new building:

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#48 Post by Ben » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:32 pm

Probably no more then 10 levels or 40m? this would fit in line with the height limits.

Hindmarsh Square will be a really funky place in a few years. Just need the Eastern side to be re developed with some mid rise.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#49 Post by Pikey » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:00 pm

Wow, that is different to what I was told would be happening.

Let's just hope this doesn't get dumbed down as usual.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#50 Post by AtD » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:29 pm

Well... that is definitely not in the style of the building in Bendigo as suggested. I think it looks ghastly, especially the huge horizontal jutty-out bits. The lack of strong vertical lines also ruins this building. With a more realistic use of perspective, I think it's going to turn out to be something like this:

Think of the children!

Bendigo in Bendigo looks like this:

We're getting jipped.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#51 Post by Will » Fri May 01, 2009 1:04 pm

I am going to reserve judgement until a more realistic image emerges, because the render provided to the Advertiser is from such an unrealistic angle and perspective.

However at this stage my initial perceptions aren't good and I tend to agree with AtD. The essence that I am getting is that this building will be a taller version of the 1980s 2-3 level office buildings fronting Greenhill Road.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#52 Post by skyliner » Fri May 01, 2009 4:29 pm

So this is 15000 sq m - it seems too low. (maybe 6 - 7 floors) Anyone know the number of floors. Just compare to 400 KWS - 11 floors (2/3rds of the block long) and 20000 Sqm.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Just build it
High Rise Poster!

#53 Post by Just build it » Mon May 04, 2009 2:13 am

Reminds me of a messy pile of papers on a desk.

It could look smart if the border features are a polished or brushed steel but if they're a flat finish it'll just be one more average looking Adelaide building in a prime spot. I also dislike the overhangs that have a 'deck' visible from the interior. Unlike balconies they'll rarely be cleaned and after the first six months they'll be dirty, water stained and covered in bird sh1t. Charming.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#54 Post by Pants » Mon May 04, 2009 7:35 am

Yeah, I'm really luke warm about it at this stage. Looks like they've gone for the cheap and nasty option and it already looks dated. The comparison to something you'd expect on Greenhill Rd (built in the early 80s) is a good one. Still, that render might not do it justice so it'd be best to wait and see some other perspectives I guess.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#55 Post by Will » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:21 am

Whilst opening the internet I had a popup ad from Bendigo Bank stating that they are commited to SA.

I decided to open the ad, and whilst trawling the Bendigo Bank website to see how they are commited to SA, I found an answer as to why the proposed 'headquarters' in Hindmarsh Square is so small and relatively insignificant.

The reason is that it wont be the headquarters for the Bendigo-Adelaide Bank. Instead it will be the SA regional office. The company's headquarters will remain in Bendigo.

From the Bendigo Bank website:
The new company forged from the merger became known as Bendigo and Adelaide Bank Limited on 31 March 2008, and Adelaide Bank is now a wholly-owned subsidiary of this company.
Construction on Bendigo and Adelaide Bank’s new headquarters, The Bendigo Centre, started on 2 September 2005. After three years and three months of construction, more than 113 kilometres of cabling for lighting and power, 2100 cubic metres of concrete and 380 tonnes of steel, the building was officially opened in Bendigo by Prime Minister Kevin Rudd on Thursday 11 December 2008.
Bendigo Bank is the only Australian bank to position its head office outside of a capital city, and The Bendigo Centre is one of the first Five Star Green Star designed buildings to be built in a regional city.
New office in Adelaide
Bendigo and Adelaide Bank is now undertaking planning for a similar Five Star Green Star designed building in Adelaide. The Bank will redevelop the site of the current Adelaide head office at 169 Pirie Street and a neighbouring property at 185-189 Pirie Street.

Our decision to build a new office in Adelaide will provide a great workplace for our staff, reaffirm our commitment to Adelaide and our future and set a new standard in environmentally sustainable construction in South Australia. Construction of the new facility should be complete by 2012.
The bank’s head office is in Bendigo, Victoria, with a substantial presence in Adelaide as well.
Bendigo and Adelaide Bank is the only Australian bank headquartered outside a capital city.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#56 Post by Prince George » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:20 am

So Adelaide Bank is now owned by a bank from Bendigo? Oh man, I bet the eastern seaboard's loving that ...

Omicron

#57 Post by Omicron » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:54 am

Prince George wrote:So Adelaide Bank is now owned by a bank from Bendigo? Oh man, I bet the eastern seaboard's loving that ...
....and Bank SA is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Westpac. Mind you, it's nice to suddenly have many more free ATMs to use, and finally the Westpac ones are no longer populated by that dreadful smiling woman thrusting silly, perky questions at me.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#58 Post by AtD » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:56 am

Bendigo was a lot larger than Adelaide. Adelaide was just a small fish, while Bendigo had operations nation-wide.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#59 Post by Prince George » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:05 am

AtD wrote:Bendigo was a lot larger than Adelaide. Adelaide was just a small fish, while Bendigo had operations nation-wide.
Facts, schmacts - who cares what the story is as long as the headline's good? "Bendigo buys Adelaide", that was bound to sell papers, or at least generate clicks.

skyliner

#60 Post by skyliner » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:22 pm

That last render looks like someone sat on the building, collapsing the floorplates.(Could be the ACC)? No vertical line to it. Not liking it at this point.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.