[CAN] Bendigo & Adelaide Bank | 167 Pirie St | 49.5m | 11 lvl

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[CAN] Bendigo & Adelaide Bank | 167 Pirie St | 49.5m | 11 lvl

#1 Post by UrbanSG » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:02 am

Finally a decent pre-commitment in Adelaide, haven't see one for a while. Details are still sketchy. Now which proposal will it be? CC8 maybe? Currie Street would be great news but I would guess City Central. From today's Adelaidenow website:
New headquarters for Bendigo and Adelaide Bank
MEREDITH BOOTH
March 12, 2008 10:15am

BENDIGO and Adelaide Bank have increased their SA presence, announcing plans to build a new Adelaide headquarters and opening a Bendigo Bank community bank in Port Lincoln yesterday.

The bank's wholesale manager, Jamie McPhee, said a new five-star energy efficient building would cover 13,000 sq m of floor space, and consolidate the bank's 900 city employees now based at four separate locations in the CBD and leave room for an extra 100 future employees.

"It's about efficiency, productivity and staff and management communication,'' Mr McPhee said.

Details on the building's site, design, cost and start date were yet to be finalised, but the design would be similar to Bendigo Bank's new headquarters in Bendigo.

Meanwhile, the bank's first branch to be opened since Bendigo and Adelaide Bank merged late last year, had one of the fastest turnarounds of any of Bendigo's 2007 community banks Australia-wide, Bendigo Adelaide MD Rob Hunt said.

The Port Lincoln branch becomes SA's ninth Bendigo-branded community bank and adds to 25 Adelaide Bank branches in metropolitan Adelaide and Mt Gambier.

Port Lincoln Community Bank chairman Dr Pat Callaghan said locals saw the benefits to the community from the neighbouring Cummins branch, which had raised $500,000 for its community since it opened.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[CAN] Re: New headquarters for Bendigo and Adelaide Bank

#2 Post by Norman » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:49 am

As I know someone who works there, it'd be great if it was in a tall building :D

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Howie » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:54 am

Correct me if i'm wrong.. but this is Bendigo's HQ

If it looked anything like that i'd be stoked.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by UrbanSG » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:00 pm

Yeap that's their new headquaters in Bendigo, looks great. Hopefully something with more height over here though. It will be very interesting to see which proposal they choose or if it is an enitrely new proposal.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5 Post by Omicron » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:51 pm

Good news! I doubt City Central as the location, though - it seems to me like Caversham have their masterplan for the whole site and are going to stick with it. Tower 8 is listed as having 31,700sq.m of leasable area - even allowing for ground level retail and whatnot, that's still a fair bit bigger than Bendigo/Adelaide's requirements. The wording of the article suggests they are to build their own building rather than act as a tenant - anyone know of any decent-sized blocks or decrepit buildings up for sale?

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by UrbanSG » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:01 pm

Omicron, anchor/or naming right tenants usually occupy less than half the building they tenant eg Ernst Young, ANZ, Hills Industries, Westpac etc, so I don't believe the size of CC8 reduces its chances of being the 'chosen one'. The wording however does seem to suggest they may go for their own building altogether though. We will have to wait and see, would be great if they chose 20-22 Currie Street but that seems unlikely.

Omicron

#7 Post by Omicron » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:14 pm

UrbanSG wrote:Omicron, anchor/or naming right tenants usually occupy less than half the building they tenant eg Ernst Young, ANZ, Hills Industries, Westpac etc, so I don't believe the size of CC8 reduces its chances of being the 'chosen one'. The wording however does seem to suggest they may go for their own building altogether though. We will have to wait and see, would be great if they chose 20-22 Currie Street but that seems unlikely.
Oh, of course, and I agree with you about the wording suggesting their own standalone building.

If they were to take up naming rights of 20-22 Currie, imagine Adelaide's skyline with 'Bendigo' shining brightly from our second-tallest tower!

Ho Really

#8 Post by Ho Really » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:18 pm

Omicron wrote:If they were to take up naming rights of 20-22 Currie, imagine Adelaide's skyline with 'Bendigo' shining brightly from our second-tallest tower!
Yes, I can imagine people overseas looking at pictures of Adelaide and thinking this is Bendigo and not Adelaide... :(

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#9 Post by crawf » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:30 pm

I don't think that will go down well especially thats its a victorian town, but then again the new Bendigo Bank HQ in Melbourne is going to probably have Adelaide now in its signage :lol:
Details on the building's site, design, cost and start date were yet to be finalised, but the design would be similar to Bendigo Bank's new headquarters in Bendigo.
It sounds like they have another site lined up, its going to be interesting to see how this pans out considering all the major banks are located around northern King William Street. It would be great if they built a new hq (similar to the Bendigo HQ, but taller) on the Adelaide metro site - its a brilliant location, being right in the heart of the financial district of Adelaide.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#10 Post by crawf » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:35 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Omicron wrote:If they were to take up naming rights of 20-22 Currie, imagine Adelaide's skyline with 'Bendigo' shining brightly from our second-tallest tower!
Yes, I can imagine people overseas looking at pictures of Adelaide and thinking this is Bendigo and not Adelaide... :(

Cheers
They probably wont even know the town exists.

Another thing too the festival of arts is going to have to be renamed the 'Adelaide Festival of Arts' or the 'Adelaide Festival'. Because they can't put 'Bendigo' in the name.

Omicron

#11 Post by Omicron » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:55 pm

crawf wrote:
Ho Really wrote:

Cheers
They probably wont even know the town exists.

Another thing too the festival of arts is going to have to be renamed the 'Adelaide Festival of Arts' or the 'Adelaide Festival'. Because they can't put 'Bendigo' in the name.
'In early 2008, a proposal to change the name of Bendigo Bank to 'Bendigo and Adelaide Bank Limited' will be submitted to a vote of shareholders of the merged company.'

http://www.adelaidebank.com.au//about_a ... erger.html

So, the Bendigo and Adelaide Bank Festival? Not exactly catchy. Of course, Adelaide Bank now exists as a wholly-owned subsidiary of Bendigo Bank, and it's not unusual for a subsidiary to act somewhat independently of the parent organisation, particularly in a marketing context. Holden, for example, is a wholly-owned subsidiary of General Motors, and they sponsor events using their own company name as opposed to that of the parent company. Depending on the details of the Bendigo/Adelaide merger, (perhaps Adelaide Bank branding is retained in South Australia) if the new entity continues to sponsor the Festival it may still carry the Adelaide Bank name.

We'll see.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#12 Post by Ben » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:17 pm

As it is a "merger" and not a purchase of Adelaide Bank by Bendigo bank there is only one entity not several as you have suggested with the General motors example. I believe they are different situations but I could be wrong.

Omicron

#13 Post by Omicron » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:22 pm

Ben wrote:As it is a "merger" and not a purchase of Adelaide Bank by Bendigo bank there is only one entity not several as you have suggested with the General motors example. I believe they are different situations but I could be wrong.
I have no idea. :wink: When I was looking through the link I posted above, it did make mention of Adelaide Bank being a wholly-owned subsidiary of Bendigo, as well as a merger between the two. I just pounced on 'subsidiary' so we don't have to deal with the awkward name of Bendigo and Adelaide Bank Fesitval.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by AtD » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:57 pm

Bendigo Adelaide Bank will be the parent company. The existing Adelaide Bank branches will retain the Adelaide Bank brand, existing and new Bendigo Bank branches will retain the Bendigo Bank brand. The parent company will trade as BEN, as it does now.

Here's a shot of the Bendigo Bank building under construction in Bendigo, as mentioned in the article, I took Easter last year. It was finished mid last year.

I can't imagine the controversy this building caused, Bendigo is an old gold rush town with nothing but fine colonial architecture. This big modern colourful thing really stands out.

skyliner

#15 Post by skyliner » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:43 pm

Looking forward to another building in Adelaide (the article reads this way) and at 13000sq m it will be a reasonable size. Excellent to see a HQ in Adelaide as well!

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.