[CAN] 82 Flinders Street | 53m | 17lvls | Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

[CAN] Re: #PRO: 82 Flinders St | 53m | 17lvls | Office

#46 Post by omada » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:40 am

Yes it is a rather nice old building, a hard choice, I can't see this one being approved, wouldn't the building be heritage listed? What era, looks like post federation?? Early twentieth century??
flinders.JPG
flinders.JPG (45.86 KiB) Viewed 4483 times

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#47 Post by Ben » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:52 am

The more I look at this the more i'm convinced this will never see the light of day.

No company would commit to office of that size and even more so in the current economic climate. This site should have been amalgamated when IAG building was constructed and a more significant building built instead IMO.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#48 Post by Matt » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:04 pm

Wow... looks great.

Apart from the fact that it will completely block my view out the window (NIMBY), it looks awesome.
Something eye catching and provocative would help to make up for the bland mess they made of Flinders Link.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#49 Post by UrbanSG » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:26 pm

The building proposed to be knocked down has no heritage listing, Observatory House to the east does.

This office tower has obviously not been designed for a large office tenant but instead for small very profitable businesses that may only need a floor of office space (couple of hundered square metres) but with amazing views.

I agree that considering the current economic climate it may take a while for this to get going if at all but we really don't know.

If this building does proceed the best feature is its different non-boxy design that blocks out the ugly Flinders Link development from the east. I love the fact it is so different and slender, Adelaide needs far more of this type of development instead of continual boxy, boring campus style office buildings we have been seeing recently.

Just build it
High Rise Poster!

#50 Post by Just build it » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:19 pm

I agree. There's nothing in the ACC's own heritage guide book (which weighs a tonne BTW) about the building and they're pretty quick to jump on anything of even slight interest. I don't find the current building attractive or outstanding in quality either.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#51 Post by skyliner » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:00 pm

Me either. It struck me as a rather nebulous arrangement of mixed styles - nothing arresting IMO. No comparison to what is being proposed.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#52 Post by frank1 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:56 pm

skyliner wrote:Me either. It struck me as a rather nebulous arrangement of mixed styles - nothing arresting IMO. No comparison to what is being proposed.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
It might not be really grand, but i think it's important to keep old facades. It pisses me off when developers choose to knock down old buildings (pre WWII) when there is a hell of 70's and 80's plain shit around the city. Just to say this building has no architectural merit should not be a reason to completely destroy it as once it is gone it is gone for good.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#53 Post by Mants » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:54 pm

this reminds me of Aurora Place (Sydney). sleek, curved facade, small footprint.
please, it's something different for a change, why criticise it?

if you look at a development like Aurora (Adelaide this time), which sold office space in small packages, i'm sure you'll find that there are many small companies looking for highrise office space.
not every building has to be 100% utilitarian.
:2cents:

talrok
High Rise Poster!

#54 Post by talrok » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:06 am

Its not like Adelaide is a city which is jam packed with buildings and this is the only option to fit a building on .. there are hundreds of sites they could build such a narrow building without destroying something appealing. I agree, there are many 70's 80's buildings which should get demolished before this old building.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#55 Post by Shuz » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:30 am

It's actually a nice building, if properly refurbished you could transform it into one of those trendy NYC residential 'bachelor pads', which I think for its prime inner city location would fetch a handsome price.

aussie2000
High Rise Poster!

#56 Post by aussie2000 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:27 am

so i guess this one is approved.... :D

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#57 Post by Pikey » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:16 am

Yep, all approved!
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

white_goodman
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[CAN] Re: #APP: 82 Flinders St | 53m | 17lvls | Office

#58 Post by white_goodman » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:45 am

whats the total sqm and floor plate size for this mother?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#59 Post by Ben » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:20 am

From ACC:
Flinders Street office tower to go ahead

Released: 03 Nov 2008

The Adelaide City Council’s Development Assessment Panel has approved a new office tower on Flinders Street at its meeting tonight.

The proposal will replace a four storey building at 82 Flinders Street with a 17 level office building with a roof deck.

Lord Mayor Michael Harbison said the development would help Adelaide’s skyline to grow further.

“This proposal – right in the heart of the CBD – is the latest of many exciting developments with a commercial focus,” said the Lord Mayor.

“The Flinders Street area is developing as a busy and interesting mix of commercial activities, shops, leisure and entertainment facilities, and this proposal will help add to that.

“The 17 storeys of office space will also bring more new workers into the City, and shows significant development and construction in Adelaide continues to remain strong.”

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#60 Post by Ben » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:48 pm

From The Messenger:
Flinders St tower not too tall for DAP

by Adam Todd

SLEEK: An artist's impression of the tower proposed for Flinders St.

A NARROW 17-storey tower will soon dominate the Flinders St skyline after it was approved by the City Council’s Development Assessment Panel (DAP) on Monday night (November 3).

The building will be 53m tall but only 9.1m wide, slotting in between IAG House and the State Heritage-listed Observatory House.

An existing four-storey 1920s building will be demolished.

The design, by Loucas Zahos Architects, earned high praise from the DAP.

Acting presiding member Brenton Burman: “It’s a very exciting development on a very small site,” he said.

“The applicant has proposed a very modern, narrow office building, utilising the space, and it relates very well to Observatory House.”

The building will offer almost 2500 sq m of office space and a rooftop garden.

Cr Sandy Wilkinson proposed preserving the existing building’s facade and incorporating it into the design, but his amendment did not have the panel’s support.

Earlier on Monday night at a special council meeting, Town Hall supported the $150 million plan for the Harris Scarfe site at Rundle Mall.

The council’s comments will be passed onto the State Government’s Development Assessment Commission which will assess the development at its meeting next Thursday (November 13).