[COM] Adelaide Zoo Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Sonata
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[COM] Zoo Development

#16 Post by Sonata » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:05 pm

I am a frequent visitor to the zoo. I think it's quite lovely, though of course smaller than many other zoos. I was very pleased to see today when I popped in for a few hours, that there are now signs all over the place indicating that a LOT of development and improvement will go on to coincide with the arrival of the new pandas! They're talking about a new entrance, and lots of the 'hoofed mammals' side of the zoo looks to be up for improvement. It's about time, it's really ugly, that side of the zoo. It's great that they're taking this as an opportunity to redo lots of things- and that way there'll be no embarrassment when the interstate visitors come for panda viewing. :)

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: Zoo Development

#17 Post by AtD » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:29 pm

Sonata
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#18 Post by Sonata » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:41 pm

Sorry. I did a search, obviously not in the right place.

Sonata
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[COM] Re: Proposal: Adelaide Zoo Redevelopment

#19 Post by Sonata » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:43 pm

Okay, sorry guys for creating another thread about this without checking properly. So I'll put my thoughts here. I went to the zoo today, and it really does look like they're doing a *lot* of work. Very impressive!

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#20 Post by jk1237 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:13 pm

I wonder if the parklands preservation society object to the zoo animals living on our parklands, caus is they dont, I think they should expand the zoo to make it a larger area. Unfortunately the PPS seem to have the final say in this city, which is wrong.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#21 Post by Will » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:38 pm

At its upcoming meeting, the ACC DAP will grant planning APPROVAL to a proposal by the Adelaide Zoo to build a new 'entrance precinct' comprising 2 new buildings; a Conservation Centre and Entrance Building. The proposal also includes a new panda enclosure and perimeter fencing with associated landscaping and signage.

Conservation Centre and Entrance Building:

Panda Enclosure Building:

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#22 Post by Shuz » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:21 pm

I agree with you Jk. The parklands are one of our many assets, however, I think they should be utilised furthermore. I fear for the success of the Monarto Zoo in the future, its accessibility is becoming more compromises with the petrol prices and affordability - and think that it would be a tremendous, if not a landmark oppurtunity to bring the 'real' zoo right into the heart of the city. It should be expanded across the Torrens catering for a much wider variety of species. It's locality right next to Melbourne Street would have quite a significant economic impact for business.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#23 Post by Tyler_Durden » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:38 pm

Shuz wrote:I agree with you Jk. The parklands are one of our many assets, however, I think they should be utilised furthermore. I fear for the success of the Monarto Zoo in the future, its accessibility is becoming more compromises with the petrol prices and affordability - and think that it would be a tremendous, if not a landmark oppurtunity to bring the 'real' zoo right into the heart of the city. It should be expanded across the Torrens catering for a much wider variety of species. It's locality right next to Melbourne Street would have quite a significant economic impact for business.
As the employees of Monarto like to tell people, Monarto Zoo's first priority is animal conservation. Opening it up for the public to enjoy is just a side benefit. It's a good so see such thinking outside the square but realistically moving the zoo to Adelaide just doesn't fit their objectives.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#24 Post by Will » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:23 pm

From the ACC: (Moderators may want to change title to approved)
Zoo’s new Panda home given the go-ahead
Print Print this Page
Released: 07 Jul 2008 [12.00am] Email Send to a Friend

Adelaide’s visiting Giant Pandas will move into a luxurious new home when they arrive next year, after the Adelaide City Council’s Development Assessment Panel approved the Adelaide Zoo’s $20 million redevelopment plans.

The Royal Zoological Society of South Australia has entered a co-operative conservation agreement with the China Conservation and Research Centre for Giant Pandas and China’s Wildlife Conservation Association to house two Giant Pandas at the Adelaide Zoo for a period of up to 10 years, as part of a global breeding program.

To accommodate the Pandas, the Zoo has proposed building a new Panda enclosure, a new entrance at the southern end of the Zoo – replacing the use of the existing entrance on Frome Road – and construction of a new perimeter fence around the Zoo site.

Plans for the new Panda enclosure include a bamboo forest area, housing for the two Giant Pandas and the Zoo’s Red Pandas, a holding facility and staff offices and amenities.

Lord Mayor Michael Harbison said there’s great excitement ahead of next year’s arrival of the Giant Pandas.

“The Pandas are a worldwide symbol of conservation and sustainability, and their arrival in Adelaide in 2009 is already sparking international attention,” said Mr Harbison.

“The Royal Zoological Society of South Australia is to be congratulated for its hard work in reaching an agreement with the Chinese authorities to bring the Giant Pandas to Adelaide as part of the international breeding program.”

“The redevelopment being planned by the Zoo will deliver world class facilities for the Pandas, the zoo keepers, and the many thousands of people that will travel from around Australia and the world to view these iconic animals.”

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#25 Post by Norman » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:39 pm

Excellent! Bring it on!

This development will make the Zoo so much more of a tourist destination, for sure.

Jim
Donating Member
Donating Member

#26 Post by Jim » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:58 pm

Adelaide’s parklands are fantastic but so under used. I would be all in favor of expanding the zoo across, and including the Torrens river in its landscaping. Enclosures with viewing access to the river would possibly be unique, it would enhance the Popeye experience and rehabilitate a pretty neglected bit of river bank so close to the city. Some nice architectural river foot bridges would be a nice touch. :D
See the Tread on "River Zoo" Visions & S

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: #APP: Adelaide Zoo | Redevelopment

#27 Post by bm7500 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:16 am

Saw an segment on the news about this the other night. The Bulldozers have moved in and construction is underway!
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#28 Post by pushbutton » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:19 pm

So we're doubling the number of tourist then are we?

Let me get my calculator out.......
Hang on, zero * 2 = zero!!!

If we want tourism in Adelaide we're going to have to do something a lot more impressive than making the zoo smaller, importing 2 pandas, and building a nice enough, but utterly pointless building that seems to have nothing whatsoever in it!

Now if they were making the zoo BIGGER (like 3 or 4 times the size at least) and putting something in it that was exciting for tourists to see and do, then I might be interested.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#29 Post by muzzamo » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:08 pm

You would be suprised how much zoo tourism there is...

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#30 Post by crawf » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:58 pm

:roll: