[COM] Renaissance Arcade | 132m | 40 Levels | Realm Apartments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: Renaissance Arcade | 94m | 30lvls | Residential

#121 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:01 pm

Another reminder why I no longer read The Advertiser.

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Renaissance Arcade | 94m | 30lvls | Residential

#122 Post by ghs » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:09 am

Thread title change to Eclipse please.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

[COM] Re: Eclipse: Renaissance Arcade | 94m | 30lvls | Residential

#123 Post by adam73837 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:11 am

slenderman wrote:Pretty hilarious that someone thinks we're turning into a mini New York when we haven't had a new tallest in 27 years now.
I agree with your other points and I hate to be THAT guy, but after the Empire State Building was built, NYC didn't have a new tallest building for near 40 years... :) Then after the original WTC went up, they didn't get a new tallest for around another 40 years when the new WTC was built...

I'm just saying... :wink:
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#124 Post by slenderman » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:48 pm

adam73837 wrote:
slenderman wrote:Pretty hilarious that someone thinks we're turning into a mini New York when we haven't had a new tallest in 27 years now.
I agree with your other points and I hate to be THAT guy, but after the Empire State Building was built, NYC didn't have a new tallest building for near 40 years... :) Then after the original WTC went up, they didn't get a new tallest for around another 40 years when the new WTC was built...

Sorry Adam, I don't mean to be sarcastic or condescending, but I don't see the connection, unless you're just being facetious (which you probably are).

While they didn't get a new tallest for 40 years, the Empire State happened to be the tallest building in the world in that period, and then the Twin Towers were the tallest until the Sears tower. Besides, they don't really have any trouble getting new tall/supertall skyscrapers. Six of their current 10 tallest were built after 2007.

That said, six of our ten tallest will have been built since 2007 if this one goes up, so I guess we're matching them at a much lower scale and ignoring their U/C buildings. Still, about half of our CBD is 1-2 storeys and Westpac would be a needle in a Manhattan haystack, so we'll likely never be a mini New York, contrary to that person's comment.

Still, don't take this as me being too negative. I'm starting to get confident a new tallest isn't too far away. Vue has shown that a well designed, well marketed building will sell quickly here, and even less attractive and not as well marketed designs such as Vision, Palladium and Central Adelaide are going ahead at a slower rate. No reason to think this one won't go ahead.

Anyway, sorry for slightly derailing a few threads with my ramblings. Can't wait to see this one progress.

Dvious
Legendary Member!

#125 Post by Dvious » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:23 pm

slenderman wrote:
adam73837 wrote:

Sorry Adam, I don't mean to be sarcastic or condescending, but I don't see the connection, unless you're just being facetious (which you probably are).

While they didn't get a new tallest for 40 years, the Empire State happened to be the tallest building in the world in that period, and then the Twin Towers were the tallest until the Sears tower. Besides, they don't really have any trouble getting new tall/supertall skyscrapers. Six of their current 10 tallest were built after 2007.

That said, six of our ten tallest will have been built since 2007 if this one goes up, so I guess we're matching them at a much lower scale and ignoring their U/C buildings. Still, about half of our CBD is 1-2 storeys and Westpac would be a needle in a Manhattan haystack, so we'll likely never be a mini New York, contrary to that person's comment.

Still, don't take this as me being too negative. I'm starting to get confident a new tallest isn't too far away. Vue has shown that a well designed, well marketed building will sell quickly here, and even less attractive and not as well marketed designs such as Vision, Palladium and Central Adelaide are going ahead at a slower rate. No reason to think this one won't go ahead.

Anyway, sorry for slightly derailing a few threads with my ramblings. Can't wait to see this one progress.
Can not agree more. I think if anyone is to do it, it would be starfish. If the correct building is proposed in the correct location, with apartment prices not too overpriced, I believe it's possible. It would then hopefully reflect the progress Adelaide has made in the last 2-5 years at ground level.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#126 Post by Ben » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:11 pm

Website is now up for registrations. I must say having seen the new larger render on the site the building looks incredibly Ugly...

http://eclipseadelaide.com.au/

[Shuz]

#127 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:25 pm

Interesting how taste differs. I absolutely love it.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Dvious
Legendary Member!

#128 Post by Dvious » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:59 pm

Its not my architectural style but what makes me love it is its ambition, how often do we get buildings like this proposed for Adelaide.

We need buildings like this as they push what people perceive of Adelaide's Skyline and how it should look. Apart from Vue, how many of the proposed residential buildings are really pushing the architectural boundaries?

ghs

#129 Post by ghs » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:21 pm

Overall the proposal is good, but that render hasn't come up too well. There's too much contrast between
the old conservative church and the new flamboyant Eclipse building. Would be better just to have a render of Eclipse.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#130 Post by SRW » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:22 pm

I like it in principle, but this is one of those buildings that will make or break on the quality of its finishings. Unless the glass and gold cladding are sheeny and luxe, this could look a jagged mess.
Keep Adelaide Weird

skyliner

#131 Post by skyliner » Sat May 02, 2015 12:12 pm

Agree entirely with GHS. Does not fit in with surroundings. (eg the church and Ruthven mansions). Overall I generally don't like bldgs that have odd external lines - this looks overbalanced on the sides. Exceptions in this general style IMHO are the Shard in London and the Wave as proposed for Adelaide. GREAT HEIGHT though.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Dvious
Legendary Member!

#132 Post by Dvious » Sun May 03, 2015 1:03 pm

skyliner wrote:Agree entirely with GHS. Does not fit in with surroundings. (eg the church and Ruthven mansions). Overall I generally don't like bldgs that have odd external lines - this looks overbalanced on the sides. Exceptions in this general style IMHO are the Shard in London and the Wave as proposed for Adelaide. GREAT HEIGHT though.

That is a very Adelaide comment. "Does not fit in with the surroundings".

So lets paint it beige and give it a steeple so it fits in with the 80's buildings around Adelaide, and the church next door. :applause:

skyliner

#133 Post by skyliner » Mon May 04, 2015 9:11 am

Dvious wrote:
skyliner wrote:Agree entirely with GHS. Does not fit in with surroundings. (eg the church and Ruthven mansions). Overall I generally don't like bldgs that have odd external lines - this looks overbalanced on the sides. Exceptions in this general style IMHO are the Shard in London and the Wave as proposed for Adelaide. GREAT HEIGHT though.

That is a very Adelaide comment. "Does not fit in with the surroundings".

So lets paint it beige and give it a steeple so it fits in with the 80's buildings around Adelaide, and the church next door. :applause:
Funny that it's a very Adelaide comment. I thought I had read similar comments from regulars on this site about a number of other proposals over the years.
Your comment seems to be a bit extreme given my intent from the original a few posts back.

Jack.

wll6568
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#134 Post by wll6568 » Mon May 04, 2015 1:49 pm

Apartments built in the mall can't be anymore common in Asia, I mean... ADL or aussies really need to go out to the world and open their eyes. Asians are so used to living close to shopping amenities. The closer it is, the better (yeah I know we are bunch of lazy bastar*s), but that's how we have so many vibrant mega cities in Asia. Not everyone wants to live in quiet dead suburbs.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#135 Post by monotonehell » Mon May 04, 2015 1:51 pm

wll6568 wrote:Apartments built in the mall can't be anymore common in Asia, I mean... ADL or aussies really need to go out to the world and open their eyes. Asians are so used to living close to shopping amenities. The closer it is, the better (yeah I know we are bunch of lazy bastar*s), but that's how we have so many vibrant mega cities in Asia. Not everyone wants to live in quiet dead suburbs.
Wayno and I certainly don't and we ain't even asian.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.