[COM] Rundle Place | 76m | 15lvls | Retail & Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: #Proposed: 79-91 Rundle Mall, 19 Storey Office and Retail

#16 Post by Ben » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:16 pm

Hippodamus wrote:How sad about Harris Scarffe... is leaving South Australia completely..?

another great Adelaide institution vanishing... just like Johnnie's... but the building is very old and run down... i do rather like the old school elevators with the conductors on them calling each floor as it arrives, does that still happen..?
Harris Scarfe has seven stores in South Australia. I would dare say it would be a redevelopment.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#17 Post by Will » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:56 pm

Interesting news. This sounds like a building of similar scale as the Myer Centre, which is very exciting. However I am slightly perpexled by the fact that the Harris Scare building is being demolished. Didn't they just finish a multi-million dollar restoration of the building? Furthermore I am under the impression that this building may be heritage listed. Maybe this development will be more like the Myer Centre development of the early 1990s, with the existing building's façade being kept and the new building rising behind it?

A render will hopefully clear all this up soon!

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#18 Post by adam73837 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:58 pm

This looks good. Let's hope that this new government board approves it without scaling it down to nothing in the old ACC way.
The government have made us excited by taking ACC Powers away, let's hope that they can fulfil everyone's hopes and dreams for the city.
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#19 Post by monotonehell » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:32 pm

I'm hoping that they demolish the Grenfell UPark along with this, it's in dire need of much repair and attention. It's also cramped and akward. Although it is a LARGE carpark considering its footprint. Or at the very least they rip out it's substructure and refurbish it.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#20 Post by Ben » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:40 pm

Well the address of the Upark is 90 - 100 Grenfell st which is the address in the application. So I am confused as to whether Haris Scarfe is involved in this or not. Guess we really need to wait for more detials.

urban
Legendary Member!

#21 Post by urban » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:49 pm

Traffic flow, provision of bus stops, ease of adding a tram line and pedestrian amenity would all be greatly improved by removal of this carpark.
It would however leave a huge hole in the carparking provisions for Rundle Mall.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#22 Post by monotonehell » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:21 pm

Ben wrote:Well the address of the Upark is 90 - 100 Grenfell st which is the address in the application. So I am confused as to whether Haris Scarfe is involved in this or not. Guess we really need to wait for more detials.
All UPark's level AND Haris Scarfe's Ground floor, Lower Ground, dock and basement levels all ocupy the same vertical space. It's just that the carpark is on top of Haris Scarfe's corner. That's why I questioned (hoped) that Grenfell was to be demo'd as well. I might have to finger some sources in the council to see... 8)
urban wrote:Traffic flow, provision of bus stops, ease of adding a tram line and pedestrian amenity would all be greatly improved by removal of this carpark.
It would however leave a huge hole in the carparking provisions for Rundle Mall.
All true. All of UPark's Gawler, Grenfell, Rundle and Wyatt parks are very busy during shopping hours and usually operate at full (especially late nights and weekends). Not sure about the unmanned one on Frome Street, it's a bit further away. I'd love to get rid of the parking access from Grenfell and make it a PT only street (run a tram down it as well as buses!) As well as close the access to the car parks on Rundle street and make it a shared pedestrian / traffic zone.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#23 Post by Will » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:24 pm

I hope that the Harris Scarfe 'tower' fronting Rundle Mall is spared. I actually like it:

This is the Harris Scarfe Grenfell Street frontage from 1926; also looks historic:

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#24 Post by Ben » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:26 pm

The application was lodged by the owners of the Harris Scarfe building so you could assume this development encompasses all of Harris Scarfe, The Upark and the various small stores such as Sanity and Dusk. I would say the 4 level retial building will house a new harris Scarfe department store which is the best news i've heard as in it's present form it's like a rabbit warren but of course this is all speculative.

Eithier way with the adjacant Regent Arcade additions, COHS with it's ground Floor retail this area will be totally transformed. Hopefully a grenfell st upgrade will be proposed now.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#25 Post by Ben » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:27 pm

Will the Grenfell St facade looks nothing like that now. It must have been updated during the 70's by the looks of it?

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#26 Post by monotonehell » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:35 pm

Ben wrote:Will the Grenfell St facade looks nothing like that now. It must have been updated during the 70's by the looks of it?
It still looks like that Ben, just has a veranda now. You need to "look up".

Actually the facade (damn, this windows box wont let me spell that right!) of Haris Scarfe's would make a nice frontage for an offset to the tower. Stepping back the buildings on Grenfell would reduce the canyon feel it currently has, heading toward the avenue feel that Cleverick wants for it. There's already a precendent for this down Grenfell street, Chesser House and the other early '90's towers.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#27 Post by Shuz » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:35 pm

Judging by the comments it seems noone read my post? I said the exact same thing!

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#28 Post by skyliner » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:36 pm

Cant wait to see the old Harris Scarf bldg disappear - always thought the whole setup was daggy and out of date (but not heritage value) occupying a place where a much bigger building should be - after all, it is in the centre of the CBD.
I never thought this would happen.

The proposal sounds great - will do wonders for Rundle Mall. can't wait to see the render.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#29 Post by Ben » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:38 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Ben wrote:Will the Grenfell St facade looks nothing like that now. It must have been updated during the 70's by the looks of it?
It still looks like that Ben, just has a veranda now. You need to "look up".
I disagree the windows do not look like that and also there are not as many of them. Now they have big plain black square tiles. Otherwise I'd agree it should be kept but i belive the damage has been done and there is nothing nice left apart from the upper section. I guess they could modify the first floof but it would be tricky to make it work. IMO

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#30 Post by Ben » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:42 pm

This is the best I could find on the net. As you can see it's not like that historical facade anymore.