[COM] SGIC Building > GHD Building Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: U/R: SGIC Building > GHD Building

#241 Post by Pants » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:44 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Pants wrote:Anyone else think the whole building looked better before?
Absolutely no one - not even you. :wink:
Haha, nah, I really do. The redevelopment was like putting lipstick on a pig rather than giving it a wash, a haircut and maybe a new jacket.

Hate to say it, but we really should look to Melbourne to see how they deal with buildings of this era. Even if they modernise them with completely contrasting cladding or glazing, it's complimentary. This, on the other hand, looks like they gave it no thought whatsoever other than getting sucked in by generic 'modern' design cues.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#242 Post by crawf » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:07 pm

Pants wrote:
monotonehell wrote:
Pants wrote:Anyone else think the whole building looked better before?
Absolutely no one - not even you. :wink:
Haha, nah, I really do. The redevelopment was like putting lipstick on a pig rather than giving it a wash, a haircut and maybe a new jacket.

Hate to say it, but we really should look to Melbourne to see how they deal with buildings of this era. Even if they modernise them with completely contrasting cladding or glazing, it's complimentary. This, on the other hand, looks like they gave it no thought whatsoever other than getting sucked in by generic 'modern' design cues.
I thought there were plans originally for some type of cladding?

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#243 Post by Pants » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:28 am

Not sure mate, but it's not necessary either way. The current material can be made to look really good with the right enhancements.

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#244 Post by claybro » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:55 am

Is that it...really?? some new "environmentally friendly" E- glass, which does not suit the colour of the rest of the building? Please say there is more to come...And for such a prominant location. :(

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#245 Post by Will » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:07 am

claybro wrote:Is that it...really?? some new "environmentally friendly" E- glass, which does not suit the colour of the rest of the building? Please say there is more to come...And for such a prominant location. :(
The building also got an entirely new podium

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#246 Post by Shahkar » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:44 am

I think all works have been completed, at least on the outside :shock:

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#247 Post by bm7500 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:18 am

Shahkar wrote:I think all works have been completed, at least on the outside :shock:
The West facing stairwell windows are still black, i would assume these would be updated to match the rest of the new windows.
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA