[COM] 413 KWS Vue on King William | 89m | 28Lvl | Residential

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: 413 KWS Vue on King William | 89m | 28Lvl | Residential

#976 Post by Honey of a City » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:42 pm

I live a few hundred metres to the west and have a full-on view of Vue from the balcony. I've watched the building grow from day one, with some excitement and anticipation. Sadly though what looked like an extraordinary design in the render looks very unremarkable close to completion. The shaft containing the split system units, is very prominent from the west and is not a good look. Definitely looks like a very cheap afterthought. Also the brown-on-brown finish smothers the interesting structural angles that the render highlighted. "Geez that's ugly" was the comment of a visitor just this weekend. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but this eye and this beholder are pretty disappointed.

noted
High Rise Poster!

#977 Post by noted » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:21 pm

Ben wrote:Exterior doesn't look as fancy as the render but they rarely do.
Yes that is true, but this is a little bit more than that. In this case there have been some fairly significant changes to the design of the building once a fair portion of sales had already been made.

It could have been worse and at least in Vue's case it has received some positive reactions and not just negative ones. But this sort of thing can be a disincentive to others looking to buy off the plan in the future. Hopefully it doesn't jeopardise other similar developments in any way.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#978 Post by Pikey » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:27 pm

I think it's been a massive disappointment. Look at the concrete panels that are painted brown, they are a matt finish which stands outs (for all of the wrong reasons.) The screening to hide the air conditioning units is almost completely see through and cheapens the appearance of the Western facade. The choice of brown completely stumps me, had it been a more copper colour, with ash/carbon glazing (aka, as in the render) it would have looked a million times better.

I know there still needs to be a wash and detail of the glazing, however the phrase "polishing a turd" does come to mind. Really disappointing result.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

thecityguy
High Rise Poster!

#979 Post by thecityguy » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:31 pm

I keep thinking about the discussion that lead to the building being brown. I just don't see how it happened, brown would be the last colour anyone would suggest. It's so strange to me that we ended up with a brown building

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#980 Post by Nathan » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:37 pm

thecityguy wrote:I keep thinking about the discussion that lead to the building being brown. I just don't see how it happened, brown would be the last colour anyone would suggest. It's so strange to me that we ended up with a brown building
I'm not sure brown would be the last colour anyone would suggest for a building. Fluorescent pink maybe?

serca
High Rise Poster!

#981 Post by serca » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:38 pm

hahah or sand stone ??

It's a cracker design, so to echo what most are saying why the poo brown? Admittedly at dusk and down it looks pretty damn good and more so resembles the renders at that time of day.

thecityguy
High Rise Poster!

#982 Post by thecityguy » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:38 pm

Maybe they just wanted a poo coloured building to match the pee coloured building next door

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duke
High Rise Poster!

#983 Post by duke » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:20 am

I can't believe they have gone with this look for the building.
Was there a sale on brown paint somewhere or something?

[Shuz]

#984 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:59 am

Paint supplies, paint supplies, factory surplus batches... you'll pay less at paint supplies for cans with dents and scratches.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Plasmatron
High Rise Poster!

#985 Post by Plasmatron » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:20 pm

14/3/2016
Attachments
Vue-March2016.jpg
Vue-March2016.jpg (256.59 KiB) Viewed 3069 times
https://www.youtube.com/UltraVibeProductions

phenom
High Rise Poster!

#986 Post by phenom » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:38 pm

Thanks Plasmatron - very relevant picture to remind us of what the southern end of the CBD would have looked like without Vue!

I get that lots of people don't like the brown but for my two cents it looks OK most of the time - perhaps more than most buildings (due to being darker?) it tends to look quite different depending on time of day and cloud coverage.

Where I agree they have made a mistake is in (1) the render indicating a much lighter colour [although hardly the most misleading render I've seen] and (2) the air conditioners which are highly visible at certain times of day on the western side. When I first saw them I was a bit nonplussed because I was surprised at using hundreds of split system airconditioners... perhaps it's an attempt to keep the strata fees down?

That said, it's worth remembering how many buildings in Adelaide have concrete western walls so in that sense I'm willing to live with it as is, even if it's brought down what would have otherwise been a fairly exemplary new building.

skyliner

#987 Post by skyliner » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:08 pm

Plasmatron wrote:14/3/2016
Downtown CBD sth - and more too go!!!

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#988 Post by mshagg » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:15 pm

phenom wrote: Where I agree they have made a mistake is in (1) the render indicating a much lighter colour [although hardly the most misleading render I've seen] and (2) the air conditioners which are highly visible at certain times of day on the western side. When I first saw them I was a bit nonplussed because I was surprised at using hundreds of split system airconditioners... perhaps it's an attempt to keep the strata fees down?
Notwithstanding the bait-and-switch on the colour a lot of the initial renders had the 'glass box' look which is the subject of so much criticism in these parts?

What's the alternative to split systems? The development i live in has them in all 200 odd apartments but the compressors are out of sight, either on the roof or in the basement. I guess that's difficult in a building of this size.

phenom
High Rise Poster!

#989 Post by phenom » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:17 am

mshagg wrote: Notwithstanding the bait-and-switch on the colour a lot of the initial renders had the 'glass box' look which is the subject of so much criticism in these parts?
I guess I was mislead by the half dozen or more references to the colour brown in recent posts? It's cool that people don't like it for whatever reason. I simply pointed out that to my eye it isn't that bad.
mshagg wrote:What's the alternative to split systems? The development i live in has them in all 200 odd apartments but the compressors are out of sight, either on the roof or in the basement. I guess that's difficult in a building of this size.
Well there you go. I've just never stayed in one or visited one where the air conditioner compressor was grouped on each floor in a visible place like it is with Vue which is why I posed the rationale behind it as a question - why do something so ugly unless there was a cost saving angle kind of thing you know?

Off the top of my head I assumed there was some sort of central solution available in use rather than 50 or 100m of piping to each apartment from the compressor.

EBG

#990 Post by EBG » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:32 pm

The crane has decreased its height with several tower sections being removed today. This process will continue until the carne is at a suitable height for a mobile crane to dismantle the tower crane. I don't mind the dark colour- at low light the building looks quite dramatic.
Attachments
20160319_VUE 3.jpg
20160319_VUE 3.jpg (109.18 KiB) Viewed 2765 times