[CAN] [The Precinct] | 58m | 5 x 18lvls | Apartments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[CAN] Re: CAN: [The Precinct] 5x | 60m | 18lvls | Residential

#781 Post by Will » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:56 am

The former "Precinct" site has been sold.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#782 Post by Ben » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:28 am

The site was sold to Tangcheng. So I guess we can expect a mediocre proposal, then for the site to be on sold as is consistant with their last 4 purchases. Hopefully they actually build something this time and its of a high quality.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#783 Post by Brando » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:27 pm

Ben wrote:The site was sold to Tangcheng. So I guess we can expect a mediocre proposal, then for the site to be on sold as is consistant with their last 4 purchases. Hopefully they actually build something this time and its of a high quality.
I thought Tangcheng had decided to leave Adelaide...Great..! :wink:

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#784 Post by Will » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:56 am

There was a small article in the Advertiser which claimed the site was sold for around $8 million to a company called "Zhengtang"

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#785 Post by dsriggs » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:57 am

Certainly hope it isn't Tangcheng. Had about enough of them wasting everybody's time over here.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#786 Post by Ben » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:53 am

Will wrote:There was a small article in the Advertiser which claimed the site was sold for around $8 million to a company called "Zhengtang"
I'm fairly sure its the same company. It has something to do with the translation, but I could be wrong.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#787 Post by mshagg » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:42 am

Is this the bus depot site or the pigeon-poo coated remains of the Balfours building?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#788 Post by Will » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:24 pm

mshagg wrote:Is this the bus depot site or the pigeon-poo coated remains of the Balfours building?
The pigeon poo

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#789 Post by ghs » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:24 pm

Ben wrote:
Will wrote:There was a small article in the Advertiser which claimed the site was sold for around $8 million to a company called "Zhengtang"

I'm fairly sure its the same company. It has something to do with the translation, but I could be wrong.
Ben you are correct, Chinese names can be translated differently.

Looks like Tangcheng are opening their old office on West Terrace again :banana:

There's tradespeople doing renovations there at the moment.

I assume that they would have sold all the land which they had a few years ago.

I think Tangcheng probably pulled out of Adelaide as a result of BHP scaling down their expansion plans
for Olympic Dam. Turns out that they made the wrong decision as there's plenty of apartment buildings
going up at the moment.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#790 Post by Ben » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:51 pm

Some prelimiary info.

Brown Falconer are the architect and so far 4 buildings with around 500 apartments.

Brown Falconer to relocate former Woodhead home

Giuseppe Tauriello COMMERCIAL PROPERTY
The Advertiser
December 16, 201412:00AM

BROWN Falconer will relocate to the former home of Woodhead in the new year on the back of major project wins including one of Adelaide’s highest profile developments.

The architecture firm was recently chosen to design a new masterplan for the former Balfours site on Franklin St — the firm’s biggest project in its 70-year history.

While continuing to work its traditional sectors of aged care, health and education, the practice is growing its presence in the apartment market following the 2010 merger with David Dawson Architects.

Its 21-level design of a $35 million apartment block at the Queen Adelaide Club site on North Terrace has been approved while construction has kicked off at the former Dreamland site on Grote St, where the firm has designed an $90 million tower comprising 260 apartments.

“One of the reasons for joining forces with David’s team was that it brought together two things — we already had a lot of the retail and commercial expertise but we only had a couple of apartment projects and the two very seldom happen independently anymore,” director Mario Dreosti said.

“So the idea was they would bring apartments and away you go with mixed-use and that seems to be working for us.”

Early concept plans for The Precinct development site on Franklin St include more than 500 apartments across four buildings as well as commercial and retail space.

Close relationships with clients including supermarket giant Woolworths and aged care provider Resthaven offered the firm ongoing work during and after the global financial crisis, Mr Dreosti said, and the company kept on most staff while most competitors made cutbacks.

However, despite a strong pipeline of work for the firm, Mr Dreosti said the architecture industry was still facing significant challenges.

“There’s certainly more activity right at the moment but I’m not sure whether the next two years are going to see that continuously grow.

“I think we’ve got a couple more hiccups to come — we’re certainly not feeling expansionary at the moment.

“Adelaide is still a small enough economy that what government does has a very big impact.

“There is usually a flow of education and health work coming out of government in the smaller scale but that area has been really quiet in the past two years and until government gets active in that medium scale work again that’s going to hold things back.”

Earlier this year, Mr Dreosti represented the Institute of Architects on an advisory group to the expert panel on planning reform. And while rating the state’s planning system as one of the best in the country, he urged the State Government to adopt the panel’s 22 recommendations.

“It’s amazing how far major strategic and planning decisions proceed before anybody with any design training is involved so the notion of involving designers early in the decision making process is a good thing,” he said.

“I think design review has been a really positive initiative and from an architect’s point of view, the talk about embedding design in the process is pretty fundamental.”

Brown Falconer is refurbishing its new Chesser St building, which will be occupied by the firm’s 29 staff following the Christmas closure period.

The firm bought the building together with a private investor earlier this year, 40 years after moving out of the CBD to Magill.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#791 Post by rev » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:45 pm

ghs wrote:
Ben wrote:

Ben you are correct, Chinese names can be translated differently.

Looks like Tangcheng are opening their old office on West Terrace again :banana:

There's tradespeople doing renovations there at the moment.

I assume that they would have sold all the land which they had a few years ago.

I think Tangcheng probably pulled out of Adelaide as a result of BHP scaling down their expansion plans
for Olympic Dam. Turns out that they made the wrong decision as there's plenty of apartment buildings
going up at the moment.

I don't know what you're so excited about an office opening up..again..for a company that did nothing in Adelaide unless I'm mistaken.

Dvious
Legendary Member!

#792 Post by Dvious » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:28 pm

ghs continues to confuse me.

ghs

#793 Post by ghs » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:19 pm

Early concept plans for The Precinct development site on Franklin St include more than 500 apartments across four buildings as well as commercial and retail space.
1) To me 500 apartments across 4 buildings is exciting.

2) One of the reasons why I put that banana on the earlier post is that I found it amusing that Tangcheng have come back
and are going to be in the same office.

I am not sure why you write negative comments about me Dvious. I am one of the most active users on this site and I am
regularly providing useful info. and adding renders to the site.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#794 Post by Will » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:21 pm

Wallbridge and Gilbert has been appointed to provide structural and civil engineering input for this project. There is mention of 4 residential buildings "up to 19 levels" above a retail podium and carparking for "Haneco".

ghs

#795 Post by ghs » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:34 pm

Sorry I stuffed up, that west terrace location is going to be a sushi bar, tangcheng aren't moving
in again.

I am looking forward to the new proposal, it would be good to start a new thread once the renders
come through.