News & Discussion: Redevelopment of RAH Site

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

News & Discussion: Redevelopment of RAH Site

#1 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:47 pm

A FEDERATION Square-style "green plaza" designed to host festival events and fitted with cabling for giant TV screens is planned for the Royal Adelaide Hospital site.

Health Minister John Hill wants the site of the hospital, which will be relocated to the western railyards in 2016, to become the location of the city's newest public square.

Permanent underground cabling would be hidden under sculpted mounds, powering large-screen TVs to televise sporting events and regular festivals such as the Fringe.

Venues such as Elder Park need temporary power cables strung along lawns to show live telecasts of sporting events and to support open-air festivals. Rundle Park is specially configured every year to house the Fringe's Garden of Unearthly Delights.

In Mr Hill's vision, which has been captured in a master plan prepared by architecture firm Woodhead International, the RAH's heritage buildings would be handed over to arts and cultural groups to establish a vibrant arts and festival centre.

Mr Hill said Adelaide could do a better version of Melbourne's Federation Square on the city's premier boulevard. "Victoria's Federation Square is a very hard-edged thing with a lot of commercial sites," he told The Advertiser.

"I would like to have a green space, but with a mix of buildings with cultural impact and open green space."

"This is the end of town where the Fringe and festivals congregate, so it would be a natural extension of that."

The city's newest public space would be of a similar size and capacity to Melbourne's Federation Square, which last year became the most visited tourist attraction in Victoria.

Opened in 2002, it has has attracted more than 12 million visitors.

Mr Hill has received a master plan which links the site to the Botanic Gardens and the Adelaide Zoo precinct. A more detailed proposal is being prepared for Cabinet approval.

Design and architecture professor Laura Lee, SA's newly arrived Thinker in Residence, said a proposal must not only work with what is on North Tce, but must add something new.

While she was not ready to endorse a Federation Square-style development after just one week on the job, Professor Lee's preferred characteristics – a public, interactive space that works with its surrounds – would give the Government further ammunition for a "big-picture" development.

"These are the things I would think about in reclaiming that site: the value of the heritage buildings, the collection in the art gallery, the collection in the museums, the Botanic Gardens . . . and the academic community," she said. Mr Hill said Professor Lee's studies would be used in determining future use of the site, which is contingent upon construction of the Government's $1.7 billion new hospital.

The proposal must also pass the test of Adelaide's public opinion.

The redevelopment of Victoria Square has foundered for years as various design plans have collapsed. Development of the Torrens Riverbank has bounced between those wanting to protect the open space and those wanting to build a Southbank-style development.

Opposition Leader Martin Hamilton-Smith last year flagged a Federation Square-style precinct – on the railyards site of the planned new hospital. SA did not need a hospital "smack bang in the middle of the potentially magnificent City West precinct", he said at the time.

Save the RAH Group chairman Jim Katsaros said the Government had gone too far by thinking about what was to happen after the RAH moved. The group released survey results last week showing 48 per cent of respondents wanted to keep the RAH on its current site, while 36 per cent were in favour of a new hospital.

"They should put their public space where there is an ugly railway site," he said.

Property Council of Australia state director Nathan Paine warned of the need to link the site into the wider city. "We want to make sure it is not just another park that nobody uses."

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 01,00.html

Shuz
Banned
Banned

Re: City's new festive hub planned

#2 Post by Shuz » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:15 am

I think its a great idea! Perfect location too.

dj_fishy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3 Post by dj_fishy » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:23 am

I'm so torn right now! I like the idea, and I feel that executed right it would be fantastic... however I can't help but feel that it will turn into that "another park no one uses" that the Property Council warns us about. Sure it would be FANTASTIC for Fringe, however for 11 months of the year it would just be barren. The key to Federation Square's success (imo anyway) is its centralised location and its engagement with the Southbank Precinct, Flinders St Station and the bottom of Swanston St shopping precinct. Without that I doubt it would be the tourist drawcard it is today. The only institution that this proposal would draw numerous people from is Adelaide University - it just feels like the wrong location and therefore doomed for failure. What do you all think?

(Oh, and we would lose any chance of a sexy Ethiad Stadium version II - bugger!)

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Howie » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:25 am

I think they can do better than that. Just wait for the Riverside proposal.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5 Post by SRW » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:13 am

I need more details to really figure this proposal, but I would have thought that it'd be better to overhaul the Festival Plaza (and surrounds -- obviously, Elder Park and Riverside, but even Torrens Parade across the road) and re-invigorate that as a central events hub. I mean, do we want to concentrate all the big festivals in the East End or do we want to share it around with other focal points?
Keep Adelaide Weird

waz94
Gold-Member ;)

#6 Post by waz94 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:40 am

This debacle just gets worse and worse. A federation style square precinct should be in a spot where it easily accessible. The "old RAH" is nice but has limited public transport and is tucked away in the north eastern corner of the CBD. What the heck is wrong with Victoria Square? Or even the Riverbank area. These locations are wasted talent at the moment.

Im really confused with this Government. Do they actually put any forethought or planning into these types of things, or are they just dreamt up after a few friday night shandys. They are putting a hospital where a potentially magnificent entertainmnet precinct should be and putting an entertainment precinct where a hospital should be and already is.

Example: Imagine the Soccer World Cup in 2 years time. What is more likely to attract hordes of people. The easily accesible Victoria Square (by trams, bus or car), Riverbank precinct (tram, rail, bus or car) or old RAH site (bus or car). These areas need to be easily accesible as people are lazy. They also need to be linked to other siginificant CBD areas to make a statement, not just tucked away. Look at Melb federation square. Top location plus removed the site of old railyards.

I love Adelaide with all my heart, but fear we are rushing these proposals for political gain (e.g. election next year). I appreciate the change in attitude towards construction and progress but if not done properly these prime locations will be wasted forever. Adelaide residents and the city as a whole will lose out.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by AtD » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:59 am

I agree Waz. Victoria Square or Elder Park area are far more appropriate locations for such a facility.

It grabbed a headline for the minister, and I think that's all he wanted.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#8 Post by skyliner » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:24 am

AtD wrote:I agree Waz. Victoria Square or Elder Park area are far more appropriate locations for such a facility.

It grabbed a headline for the minister, and I think that's all he wanted.
Ditto - without question. Centrality a key issue for access and whole year usage.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#9 Post by Cruise » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:04 am

Howie wrote:I think they can do better than that. Just wait for the Riverside proposal.
When is this to be released?

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#10 Post by ricecrackers » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:15 am

i think this whole idea is a ruse, to gather public support for the relocation of the RAH to the West end

dont buy into it!

its a poor location for such a facility anyway and would most likely turn into some sort of white elephant. Federation Square succeeds because its right across the road from Melbourne's transport heart as well as its busiest CBD intersection.
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#11 Post by Wayno » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:28 pm

pfft, a political distraction tactic at best - and think about the timeframe. The new RAH would have to be complete first, then demolition of the old RAH, so maybe by 2018...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#12 Post by Will » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:28 pm

I want some of what John Hill is smoking if he thinks that some lawn with a giant TV will be better than Federation Square. The old RAH site is unsuitable for such a venture as it is located too far away from the nucleus of people which are required to make such a plaza work.

I would much rather the old RAH site became used instead to make a new RAH.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#13 Post by crawf » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:14 pm

Not sure about this idea anymore..

I reckon it would be better if the Festival Centre plaza got a overhaul and transformed into a 'festive hub' for the city. Its a more central location, next to public transport, right near Adelaide Oval, Memorial Drive etc...

Plus it would be perfect if the Riverbank is ever developed into a dining/entertainment precinct including a footbridge.

Makes sense really..... though Victoria Square is a good candidate aswell

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by AtD » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:40 pm

Will wrote:I want some of what John Hill is smoking if he thinks that some lawn with a giant TV will be better than Federation Square. The old RAH site is unsuitable for such a venture as it is located too far away from the nucleus of people which are required to make such a plaza work.

I would much rather the old RAH site became used instead to make a new RAH.
Agree.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#15 Post by rogue » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:11 pm

crawf wrote:I reckon it would be better if the Festival Centre plaza got a overhaul and transformed into a 'festive hub' for the city. Its a more central location, next to public transport, right near Adelaide Oval, Memorial Drive etc...

Plus it would be perfect if the Riverbank is ever developed into a dining/entertainment precinct including a footbridge.

Makes sense really..... though Victoria Square is a good candidate aswell
Second that.

Having a festive hub located at the extreme end of the city away from public transport and year round night life (West End / East End) is poor planning.

And I agree woth Wayno. By the time 2018 comes around, ACC should have finally made a decision and we would already have Vic Square pumping.