[COM] SAHMRI | $200m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Post Reply
Message
Author
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 6604
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:46 am
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 249 times
Been thanked: 989 times

[COM] SAHMRI | $200m

#1 Post by Ben » Wed May 14, 2008 12:33 pm

From The Messenger:
Medical centre for West End

Louise Russell

14May08

THE West End will be home to a "world class" new medical research centre, Health Minister John Hill says.

A 36-page report tabled in Parliament earlier this month by Professor John Shine and Alan Young recommended building a 20,000sq m "Adelaide Health and Medical Research Institute".

The new institute would house 400 staff, and be in the city square mile close to the proposed Marjorie Jackson Nelson Hospital, to be built on North Tce.

The Shine and Young report says the new institute would attract doctors and medical professionals, help retain existing staff and even pull international research grants.

Mr Hill has committed "in principle" to the development and will look into funding options. "We're wanting to talk to a whole range of other people, it's not something we can do ourselves," Mr Hill told the City Messenger.

The minister said the RAH's existing research work would continue, or expand, at the Marj. It would not be comprised by the institute.

Mr Hill originally sought the Shine and Young report to address SA's drop in Commonwealth medical research grants. While SA's actual funding dollar has increased, our share of the national pool has dropped from 15 per cent to less than 7 per cent, Mr Hill said.

The Shine and Young report said the new Institute would have to be independent to avoid historical rivalries, but partner with universities, teaching hospitals and other research institutions.

Lord Mayor Michael Harbison said the institute was an "incredibly exciting" prospect and would be just the start of medical-associated developments in the West End. "We're expecting to see accommodation for more than 1000 people, research centres, allied medical centres and so on. It'll be a huge boost for that corner of the city," he said.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:55 am
Been thanked: 7 times

[COM] Re: #Proposed: City West Medical Research Centre

#2 Post by UrbanSG » Wed May 14, 2008 1:50 pm

Interesting find Ben.

Although it sounds promising, I think given it will be in the West End and near the new hospital it will probably be on a very large site and as a result be campus style with a low height.

Still even at a low height it could have a decent design and an extra 400 workers in the city, especially in this area is a positive step.

User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2123
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head
Has thanked: 537 times
Been thanked: 63 times

[COM] Re: #Proposed: City West Medical Research Centre

#3 Post by Ho Really » Wed May 14, 2008 11:36 pm

Another nail in the coffin for the railyards entertainment precinct... :cry:

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

User avatar
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5466
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:10 am
Location: Adelaide, East End.
Has thanked: 192 times
Been thanked: 288 times
Contact:

[COM] Re: #Proposed: City West Medical Research Centre

#4 Post by monotonehell » Thu May 15, 2008 1:22 am

Ho Really wrote:Another nail in the coffin for the railyards entertainment precinct... :cry:

Cheers
Not if you find medical research entertaining! We have to look on the bright side ;) :lol:

Not necessarily so, from what I understand this complex will be within the grid, and the Marj wont occupy any of the land on the Torrens 'Lake' banks. There's still scope for development on the remaining land.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2123
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head
Has thanked: 537 times
Been thanked: 63 times

[COM] Re: #Proposed: City West Medical Research Centre

#5 Post by Ho Really » Thu May 15, 2008 10:03 am

monotonehell wrote:
Ho Really wrote:Another nail in the coffin for the railyards entertainment precinct... :cry:

Cheers
Not if you find medical research entertaining! We have to look on the bright side ;) :lol:

Not necessarily so, from what I understand this complex will be within the grid, and the Marj wont occupy any of the land on the Torrens 'Lake' banks. There's still scope for development on the remaining land.
If they built this on Frome Road it would be next to the universities and the RAH. Between the Marj and Morphett Street Bridge there will be plenty of room for something else (Bus Interchange, Entertainment Precinct, Museums/Galleries, or whatever, even AUFC's new stadium, if built on its own of course) if they also build over the tracks.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

User avatar
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5466
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:10 am
Location: Adelaide, East End.
Has thanked: 192 times
Been thanked: 288 times
Contact:

[COM] Re: #Proposed: City West Medical Research Centre

#6 Post by monotonehell » Thu May 15, 2008 11:25 pm

Ho Really wrote:
monotonehell wrote:
Ho Really wrote:Another nail in the coffin for the railyards entertainment precinct... :cry:

Cheers
Not if you find medical research entertaining! We have to look on the bright side ;) :lol:

Not necessarily so, from what I understand this complex will be within the grid, and the Marj wont occupy any of the land on the Torrens 'Lake' banks. There's still scope for development on the remaining land.
If they built this on Frome Road it would be next to the universities and the RAH. Between the Marj and Morphett Street Bridge there will be plenty of room for something else (Bus Interchange, Entertainment Precinct, Museums/Galleries, or whatever, even AUFC's new stadium, if built on its own of course) if they also build over the tracks.

Cheers
Where on Frome road?
Also you forget that if the Marj is built the Adelaide Uni medical division is moving with it, along with the IMVS.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2123
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head
Has thanked: 537 times
Been thanked: 63 times

[COM] Re: #Proposed: City West Medical Research Centre

#7 Post by Ho Really » Fri May 16, 2008 1:13 am

monotonehell wrote:
Ho Really wrote:If they built this on Frome Road it would be next to the universities and the RAH. Between the Marj and Morphett Street Bridge there will be plenty of room for something else (Bus Interchange, Entertainment Precinct, Museums/Galleries, or whatever, even AUFC's new stadium, if built on its own of course) if they also build over the tracks.
Where on Frome road?
Also you forget that if the Marj is built the Adelaide Uni medical division is moving with it, along with the IMVS.
I haven't forgotten about the relocation. They should be building it where they are extending the Botanic Gardens (for a start) or on a redeveloped RAH site.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

User avatar
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5466
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:10 am
Location: Adelaide, East End.
Has thanked: 192 times
Been thanked: 288 times
Contact:

[COM] Re: #Proposed: City West Medical Research Centre

#8 Post by monotonehell » Fri May 16, 2008 1:25 am

Ho Really wrote:
monotonehell wrote:
Ho Really wrote:If they built this on Frome Road it would be next to the universities and the RAH. Between the Marj and Morphett Street Bridge there will be plenty of room for something else (Bus Interchange, Entertainment Precinct, Museums/Galleries, or whatever, even AUFC's new stadium, if built on its own of course) if they also build over the tracks.
Where on Frome road?
Also you forget that if the Marj is built the Adelaide Uni medical division is moving with it, along with the IMVS.
I haven't forgotten about the relocation. They should be building it where they are extending the Botanic Gardens (for a start) or on a redeveloped RAH site.

Cheers
Why build it there so far away from all the newly relocated similar facilities? (Assuming that the Marj complex goes ahead)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2123
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head
Has thanked: 537 times
Been thanked: 63 times

[COM] Re: #Proposed: City West Medical Research Centre

#9 Post by Ho Really » Fri May 16, 2008 10:28 am

monotonehell wrote: Why build it there so far away from all the newly relocated similar facilities? (Assuming that the Marj complex goes ahead)
It will be down the road from the current IMVS and still in the RAH precinct. Of course I'm assuming nothing will change and the RAH is redeveloped, which is my preferred option. If they build the Marj then my argument is futile.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

User avatar
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5466
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:10 am
Location: Adelaide, East End.
Has thanked: 192 times
Been thanked: 288 times
Contact:

[COM] Re: #Proposed: City West Medical Research Centre

#10 Post by monotonehell » Fri May 16, 2008 9:03 pm

Ho Really wrote:
monotonehell wrote: Why build it there so far away from all the newly relocated similar facilities? (Assuming that the Marj complex goes ahead)
It will be down the road from the current IMVS and still in the RAH precinct. Of course I'm assuming nothing will change and the RAH is redeveloped, which is my preferred option. If they build the Marj then my argument is futile.

Cheers
Ah now I see! lol I thought you were suggesting that when they move the RAH off that site, they should then build the new MRC on it.

Yes, if they could find the room on the existing RAH site to rebuild a decent hospital and all the associated facilities for the Adelaide Uni Medical Division, Adelaide Uni Medical Research labs, teaching facilities and the IMVS then it would make sense to pack the MRC into that area as well.

I just don't see them being able to build a hospital on the RAH site while trying to run the existing one. It would be an exercise in compromise, frustration, as well as being expensive. Better to find a new site for the hospital and etc. and start from scratch (cheaper, easier and a better outcome). Now if we could only encourage them to find a better site than the railyards...
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

User avatar
joshzxzx
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:17 pm

[COM] Re: #Proposed: City West Medical Research Centre

#11 Post by joshzxzx » Fri May 16, 2008 9:54 pm

Any renders on what the proposal would look like?
South Australia the Festival State

User avatar
Shuz
Banned
Banned
Posts: 2539
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:48 pm
Location: Glandore

[COM] Re: #Proposed: City West Medical Research Centre

#12 Post by Shuz » Sat May 17, 2008 11:35 am

Well, from what I understand it may turn out into a campus-style development, which technically - function wise - would be best for the medical research facilities. However, I very strongly fear it will turn out quite similiarly to the UniSA style campus buildings (probably just to keep consistency within the area) which is something I wouldn't want to see more of.

We will just have to wait and see I guess.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5414
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:49 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 172 times
Been thanked: 319 times

[COM] Re: #Proposed: City West Medical Research Centre

#13 Post by crawf » Sat May 17, 2008 8:16 pm

I highly doubt that, considering the recent new UniSA City West building looks nothing like the existing buildings.

User avatar
Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2336
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:46 pm

[COM] Re: #Proposed: City West Medical Research Centre

#14 Post by Omicron » Sun May 18, 2008 12:31 am

crawf wrote:I highly doubt that, considering the recent new UniSA City West building looks nothing like the existing buildings.
That f'ing Hawke Building! All I wanted to do was get to a tutorial room on the top floor to meet up with a friend, so I walked into the large entrance fronting Aroma, and........found myself with a choice between the toilet or the Allan Scott Auditorium. I had to go back outside, cross into BH, walk up four hundred flights of stairs with godawful students clogging up every second step, walk along the fifth floor balcony into Hawke, then take another set of stairs to the 6th level.

User avatar
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5466
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:10 am
Location: Adelaide, East End.
Has thanked: 192 times
Been thanked: 288 times
Contact:

[COM] Re: #Proposed: City West Medical Research Centre

#15 Post by monotonehell » Sun May 18, 2008 12:34 am

Omicron wrote:
crawf wrote:I highly doubt that, considering the recent new UniSA City West building looks nothing like the existing buildings.
That f'ing Hawke Building! All I wanted to do was get to a tutorial room on the top floor to meet up with a friend, so I walked into the large entrance fronting Aroma, and........found myself with a choice between the toilet or the Allan Scott Auditorium. I had to go back outside, cross into BH, walk up four hundred flights of stairs with godawful students clogging up every second step, walk along the fifth floor balcony into Hawke, then take another set of stairs to the 6th level.
:lol: I had a similar experience. You need to know beforehand what doors go where. There seems to be no ground floor entrances for any of the many rooms above.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests