[COM] SAHMRI | $200m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Professor
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: #PRO - Health and Medical Research Institute (HMRI) - $200m

#31 Post by Professor » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:20 pm

All I can say is good luck and keep up the good work.

Research is a very frustrating activity for 90% of the time - I guess the other 10% makes up for it - a bit like life in general, I guess!

Adelarch
Donating Member
Donating Member

#32 Post by Adelarch » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:07 pm

Don't quote me on this but I was told today by a reasonably reliable source that this is on track to go ahead in the next few months and, contrary to what the dodgy earlier renders seem to show (see previous page), the building will actually be around the 11 storeys mark, which is obviously be pretty substantial for this end of town. Disclaimer: the guy was talking about a number of other projects too so its possible I'm mixing up my facts (wouldn't be the first time). Either way though with construction commencing shortly you'd expect that new renders will made public fairly soon

Alyx
High Rise Poster!

#33 Post by Alyx » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:36 pm

The new SA Health and Research Institute
Take a virtual tour through the proposed $200 million SA Health and Research Institute to be built in the Adelaide Railyards.
Link: http://player.video.news.com.au/adelaidenow/#1426088525

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#34 Post by Howie » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:42 pm

Wow, that's gorgeous. We need the hi-res video up stat!

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#35 Post by Will » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:49 pm

WOW! Now that is world class architecture!

I'm curious though, what will happen to this project of the Liberals win the election, considering that this project is being financed by the feds?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#36 Post by Ben » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:54 pm

I noticed the other day this land is now cleared and there is signage up saying about the development and construction starting early 2010 (now).

On a side note when did we invent see through buildings?

Alyx
High Rise Poster!

#37 Post by Alyx » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:13 pm

AdelaideNow wrote:PLANS for a building likely to be South Australia's most controversial and an $18 million overpass for McLaren Vale were unveiled today as Prime Minister Kevin Rudd joined Premier Mike Rann on the election trail.

Wearing matching outfits of dark pants and pale blue open-necked shirts, the two men revealed plans for the $200 million Health and Medical Research Centre to be built alongside the planned $1.7 billion new Royal Adelaide Hospital at the railyards.
The design of the six story building immediately sparked comments - the see-through building appears to float above the ground like a futuristic plastic cube.

Treasurer Kevin Foley, a critic of other building projects around Adelaide, said he was a huge fan.

"This is one of the best pieces of architecture I have ever seen in South Australia - we've gone straight from boring to the wow factor,'' he said.

Mr Rann said the building, fully funded by the Federal Government, will be the first completed building in the new City West health precinct when it is finished at the end of 2012.

"In essence this will be the best new medical research centre in Australia along side the best new hospital in Australia,'' Mr Rann said.

Importantly, this co-located centre will enable research scientists to collaborate with clinicians and patients at the new RAH in finding new and better ways to treat and care for a variety of conditions and illnesses such as cancer and heart disease.

"This stunning piece of architecture will be built to world class standard - encouraging research collaboration through its innovation and `green' design.

Architect Gavin Kain of Woods Bagot said the building was designed to allow community activities underneath.

"The public can look up and see the research taking place and the researchers can look out and engage with the public,' he said.

"It is an innovative design so I would expect the community to have their own opinions on it.''

Save the RAH Party spokesman Dr James Katsaros said the $200 million would be better spent “strengthening the powerhouse of medical research that already exists at Frome Rd.”
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sas-most- ... 5835059477

Briggzy_03
High Rise Poster!

#38 Post by Briggzy_03 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:28 pm

Looks great! This is the type of innovation we need in buildings rather than a safe 'box' structure. Hopefully this will set a trend for the design of the new RAH.

Interesting to note that that ugly brutalist building alongside the rail tracks will remain, what is that used for anyway?

Alyx
High Rise Poster!

#39 Post by Alyx » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:32 pm

Briggzy_03 wrote:Interesting to note that that ugly brutalist building alongside the rail tracks will remain, what is that used for anyway?
That's TransAdelaide's train control building.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#40 Post by crawf » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:13 pm

This is exactly what this city needs, modern architecture that is controversial.

With Adelaide Oval being redeveloped into a major stadium, maybe this future health precinct isn't a bad thing after all.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#41 Post by skyliner » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:54 pm

Absolutely stunning architecture - riveting to say the least :!: :!: :!: See through aspect unique here. Excellent to see more effort in developing research element here as well. I just hope there is more height and less sprawl in the Hospital now so parklands can be redeemed and provide a quality backdrop for patients and Adelaide citizens as well.

It appears the west end will develop into a well used destination with the hospital, new oval seating and tram link to the city and Entertainment centre/Pt Adelaide etc. as well. Upgraded Nth Tce will help also. Anciliary developments and functions will follow.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATERCITY SKYLINE
Jack.

yousername
High Rise Poster!

#42 Post by yousername » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:56 pm

:applause: :bow:
Will wrote:Victorians can get f#$%^&*!

medo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#43 Post by medo » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:26 pm

Hi,

It’s good. Finally something totally different in our town.
Some comments in Adelaide today are really pathetic http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sas-most- ... 5835059477

yousername
High Rise Poster!

#44 Post by yousername » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:52 pm

medo wrote:Hi,

It’s good. Finally something totally different in our town.
Some comments in Adelaide today are really pathetic http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sas-most- ... 5835059477
That's a change. AdelaideNow's commentators normally have a great deal of interesting and well thought-out ideas in their splendid comments.
Will wrote:Victorians can get f#$%^&*!

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#45 Post by Pistol » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:21 pm

AdelaideNow must be a bit perplexed by the positive comments for this stunning looking building.

They have just added a poll to the story. This is what you can choose from:
1. Tone it down a bit.
2. Don't like it much.
3. It's dreadful.
4. Waste of money.

Talk about your biased journalism.
Oh wait, its AdelaideNow... I forgot.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken