[COM] SAHMRI | $200m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
metro
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: U/C: SAHMRI | $200m

#556 Post by metro » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:21 pm

Adelarch wrote:
Phantom wrote:My only piece of criticism is with the SAHMRI 2 building... I really do wish that it doesn't end out looking like an afterthought. If they can make it look either as fantastic or as unique as the first one, I think that would be brilliant!
Totally agree. In fact in some ways if SAHMRI 2 and the other research buildings proposed never saw the light of day I wouldn't be too cut up - a building as unique and striking as this deserves buffer space around it for full effect. A well thought out, contemporary landscape design channelling views to it would be a better complement than a clutter of competing architectural forms hiding it and compromising it's effect IMO.
Also agree, they should reconsider the location for the 2nd building, maybe move it either closer to the Torrens Lake or over by the old jail inside the triangle of railway tracks or something, a new rail control centre could fit in there as well.

and it's great to hear people have already made local names for the SAHMRI building; pinecone, cheese grater etc.. a sign of iconic landmark architecture like, Sydney's Coat-hanger bridge, London's Gherkin, New York's washing machine museum, and so on. :cheers:

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#557 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:43 pm

Adelarch wrote:
Phantom wrote:My only piece of criticism is with the SAHMRI 2 building... I really do wish that it doesn't end out looking like an afterthought. If they can make it look either as fantastic or as unique as the first one, I think that would be brilliant!
Totally agree. In fact in some ways if SAHMRI 2 and the other research buildings proposed never saw the light of day I wouldn't be too cut up - a building as unique and striking as this deserves buffer space around it for full effect. A well thought out, contemporary landscape design channelling views to it would be a better complement than a clutter of competing architectural forms hiding it and compromising it's effect IMO.
Let's not forget the original render for the SAHMRI and how greatly they improved on them, I think SAHMRI 2 will be face just as much consideration with it's renders.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#558 Post by ml69 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:35 pm

Saw SAHMRI up close today for the first time since all the window hoods have been installed, the effect on the building is stunning! It's a real head turner! Well done to all involved! I think it will encourage the general population that we don't have to be afraid of modern architecture.

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#559 Post by Paulns » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:37 pm

Cameraman's cut of the channel 7 news story.
http://au.news.yahoo.com/sa/video/watch ... ng/?cmp=fb
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

zippySA
High Rise Poster!

#560 Post by zippySA » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:57 pm

That's the most detailed rendering I've seen of "Son of SAHMRI" - at that scale it is looking more than just a mini version. Be hard to think where the money would come from to start that project any time soon unfortunately - and I don't know whether the University Buildings will now compete for tenants (ie researchers) and thus push this one out for many years.

Would love to see them all get built though - and would be fun not to have to worry too much about budget or time as per SAHMRI Mark 1

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#561 Post by mattblack » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:53 pm

zippySA wrote:That's the most detailed rendering I've seen of "Son of SAHMRI" - at that scale it is looking more than just a mini version. Be hard to think where the money would come from to start that project any time soon unfortunately - and I don't know whether the University Buildings will now compete for tenants (ie researchers) and thus push this one out for many years.

Would love to see them all get built though - and would be fun not to have to worry too much about budget or time as per SAHMRI Mark 1
CSIRO have already put their hand up as a major tenant. It will be built sooner rather than later. Probably depends a bit on federal funds and the libs are big on backing reseach facilities.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#562 Post by ml69 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:22 pm

mattblack wrote:
zippySA wrote:CSIRO have already put their hand up as a major tenant. It will be built sooner rather than later. Probably depends a bit on federal funds and the libs are big on backing reseach facilities.
How do you know that the Liberals are big on backing research facilities?

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#563 Post by mattblack » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:46 am

ml69 wrote:
mattblack wrote:
zippySA wrote:CSIRO have already put their hand up as a major tenant. It will be built sooner rather than later. Probably depends a bit on federal funds and the libs are big on backing reseach facilities.
How do you know that the Liberals are big on backing research facilities?
:oops: That was ment to be AREN'T. They've already cut several research based funding initiatives from the Labor Gov.

Waewick

#564 Post by Waewick » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:54 am

the great thing we have is that SA and it's economy is a basketcase

Also, we have an election.

I am hoping that the SA Libs manage to get fed funding for this on the back of the election.

Given the feds have a solid track record (regardless of who is in Power) of propping up the SA economy, I'm confident that we will get the funding needed.

arki
High Rise Poster!

#565 Post by arki » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:25 pm

zippySA wrote:Probably depends a bit on federal funds and the libs aren't big on funding anything.
Amended for truth.

MessiahAndrw
High Rise Poster!

#566 Post by MessiahAndrw » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:35 am

arki wrote:
zippySA wrote:Probably depends a bit on federal funds and the libs aren't big on funding anything unless it has to do with roads.
Amended again for truth.
My blog on urban design: http://www.andrewalexanderprice.com/blog.php

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#567 Post by rev » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:37 am

Found this on flickr..
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32053650@N ... /lightbox/
The owner of the photo has disabled sharing so open the link.

It really does look like a building has been pulled out of some Asian city that's undergone a boom and is filled with modern looking towers, and parked in Adelaide.

Xaragmata

#568 Post by Xaragmata » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:31 am

Xaragmata

#569 Post by Xaragmata » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:30 pm

From last week:

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!