News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway Revitalisation Projects

#241 Post by claybro » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:07 am

monotonehell wrote:
Councils everywhere can't win even when they try harder...ACC installed brand new flag paving down Union Street, only to have the contractors who resealed the road drive their heavy machinery all over it, cracking it to pieces.ACC installed the grey concrete with stone inserts down Rundle Street, only to have gas and other services dig trenches through it. Then replace the sections with mismatched coloured concrete.Generally whenever they resurface a footpath with bitchumen, trenches are dug and then roughly patched, later the patches sink and water gets under, causing an uneven surface.Same with pavers. Workmen lift the area they need to get under and then replace them, causing a lowered area and uneven surfaces.
The ACC has the power to enforce the contractors to make good in all of these instances. That they don't monitor works or outcomes by contractors is part of the general malaise in many SA local councils - just laziness or disorganisation. They spend millions on making a streetscape look nice, then really let themselves down with monitoring the upkeep. This is just an extension of the same issue.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#242 Post by monotonehell » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:33 pm

claybro wrote:The ACC has the power to enforce the contractors to make good in all of these instances. That they don't monitor works or outcomes by contractors is part of the general malaise in many SA local councils - just laziness or disorganisation. They spend millions on making a streetscape look nice, then really let themselves down with monitoring the upkeep. This is just an extension of the same issue.
It's an age old story, though, isn't it?

<insert responsible body here> resurfaces a street.
One month later the <insert gas/water/sewerage body here> comes to dig it up to lay mains.
:banana:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

obituary resider
High Rise Poster!

#243 Post by obituary resider » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:23 pm

SRW wrote:My problem with street trees in the city is that they don't appear to consistently maintained. Some are butchered while others are not pruned at all. The planes on North Terrace are a good example, especially given they were a boulevard planting. The council needs a full time arborist on staff.

But yes, better footpaths please! Although Melbourne has sections of asphalt paving, in general the city centre is commonly well-paved with bluestone. I remember once upon a time seeing a master plan or manual of style for Adelaide that determined the hierarchy of streets and their corresponding furnishings. I can't remember if that went to the detail of paving, but it should do and should also form a plan of works.
You would be referring to the Adelaide Design Manual or ADM:

http://www.adelaidedesignmanual.com.au/

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#244 Post by Norman » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:38 pm

Paving has started to come down on North Terrace near Bank Street. I like the premium look of it, especially the kerbing.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#245 Post by Norman » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:47 am

Hindley Street today

And Topham Mall North is starting to change

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#246 Post by Norman » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:50 pm

Plans for Bentham Street have been released. It proposes turning it into a one-way street, with traffic to flow only north to south.

These plans are very promising. As someone who uses the street on a daily basis, most of the treatments are exactly what I would do as well. I especially like the feature lighting on the old Darling Building.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#247 Post by SRW » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:52 am

Looks great! I hope the raised intersections are achieved too - much more pedestrian friendly.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#248 Post by Honey of a City » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:09 pm

Agree it does look great, but why the parking spaces? I get the loading zone need but would the world come to an end if the lane was parking-free? Even though there are only a few spaces in the design, it would make a big difference in ambience not to have them there.

Nathan

#249 Post by Nathan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:14 pm

Honey of a City wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:09 pm
Agree it does look great, but why the parking spaces? I get the loading zone need but would the world come to an end if the lane was parking-free? Even though there are only a few spaces in the design, it would make a big difference in ambience not to have them there.
Can you imagine the meltdown the 'tiser would have if car park spaces were removed, especially one a literal stones throw from their building?

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#250 Post by mshagg » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:21 pm

I think they've knocked the design out of the park (I also learned what a porte-cochère is), but as always the consultation process makes me a little nervous when it's councilors who have the final say at the end of it. All it takes is a whiff of opposition from the usual corners to derail the process (presumably the retention of a few parks along there are an olive branch to traders 3 blocks away who think the changes will send them out of business).

Regardless I'd encourage people to offer a positive response via yoursay.

Could the proposed treatment perhaps be a model for pitt street as well? I love the look of those greening columns; more please.

mgb
High Rise Poster!

#251 Post by mgb » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:47 pm

Looks great.

I am sure there is a good reason but I can't understand why they need to allow the exit from the Peppers parking area to exit back onto Waymouth St. Wouldn't it make more sense for them to reverse the Peppers parking area, enter from the North and exit to the South?

Unless they are allowing for future closure of the street entirely? (if so, what about the other building entrances).

ghs

#252 Post by ghs » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:50 pm

Making a two way road into a one way ?

Too bad if you're a courier, taxi driver or a truck driver that wants to get around the city quickly.

It's going to be impossible to get around the city in a car in a few years time with the way in which things
are going. The tramline extension on North terrace towards the East End isn't going to help either.

After the way in which ACC stuffed up Pitt street a couple of years ago, I have no faith at all in these laneway
projects.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#253 Post by Pikey » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:14 pm

ghs wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:50 pm

Too bad if you're a courier, taxi driver or a truck driver that wants to get around the city quickly.

It's going to be impossible to get around the city in a car in a few years time with the way in which things
are going. The tramline extension on North terrace towards the East End isn't going to help either.

After the way in which ACC stuffed up Pitt street a couple of years ago, I have no faith at all in these laneway
projects.
You're really a "glass half full" kind of guy, aren't you?
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#254 Post by mshagg » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:49 pm

ghs wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:50 pm

projects.
Yes how on earth will the city function with the loss of such a vital arterial route :wallbash:

The only people using this street are using it to get to topham mall car park. You're not even allowed to turn right onto waymouth.

ghs

#255 Post by ghs » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:36 pm

There's enough room for a lane of car parks but then there's not enough room for a two way road ???

I would have thought a two way road would be more important then car parks.

What about taxis and Uber cars dropping off passengers from the airport at Peppers hotel ? They'll have to take the scenic route.