News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway Revitalisation Projects

#301 Post by monotonehell » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:59 pm

A lot of the facades in question on Bank Street are cladded, hoarding style blank walls because activation was not a question in the past. Hopefully, as stated above, the renovation of the streetscape will further encourage landlords to continue to redevelop the shop fronts. There's been quite a bit done already with a number of popular eateries opening up in recent years.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#302 Post by Norman » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:47 pm

Some photos from today

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#303 Post by Norman » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:01 pm

Bank Street, from today

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#304 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:11 pm

Bank Street - the place to BEE!

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#305 Post by PeFe » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:06 pm

I wonder if those bees flew down from the top of the Intercontinental?

The hotel has its own bee hives on the rooftop (producing honey to be used in the hotel.......now that's what I call local produce!)

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#306 Post by Norman » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:38 pm

Seating on Bank Street is starting to be installed

HeapsGood
High Rise Poster!
Location: At the Adelaide Airport thankfully now not having to use a Dyson Airblade

#307 Post by HeapsGood » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:41 am

Topham Mall seems to be taking forever. Went away on a 3 month holiday, come back and it's still not done. I know it's been winter, but this progress is appalling.
*Looks at Dyson Airblade Factory* "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"

fkj
Gold-Member ;)

#308 Post by fkj » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:33 pm

Sat at the cafe in Topham Mall for 2 hours and the other day doing some work on my laptop while watching the construction, and honestly, it's no wonder it's taking so long. I've been on a lot of worksites and this one is unorganised as hell and the guys don't really seem to know what the plan is. Definitely should be done by now. I overheard them talking about the ACC "cracking the whip" on them, pushing them to have it done within the next two weeks. I really hope they deliver.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#309 Post by SouthAussie94 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:21 am

There were a large number (more than you'd expect for an area of that size) of underground services in Topham Mall which needed to be relocated. I believe this has contributed to the delay.

Who's the contractor? T & J?
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#310 Post by monotonehell » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:08 am

Walked through this morning and it looks like the underground work has been completed. They seem to be prepping to start the surface work now.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#311 Post by Kasey771 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:17 am

A pedestrian thoroughfare may be carved through the historic Ayers House site as the Government tries to appease traders concerned about their post-hospital future in the East End.

Bension Siebert
@Bension1

http://indai.ly/257340
11 CommentsPrint article
Advertisement

Today's top stories
Revealed: Gago's secret Penfolds $3000 superwine
Xenophon preferred SA premier: poll
Why craft beer is going corporate
Luxury vintage fashion comes to Hindley Street
Adelaide Fashion Festival

Renewal SA boss John Hanlon told East End traders last night that the Government may carve a pedestrian thoroughfare through the Ayers House site. Photo: Tony Lewis / InDaily
Renewal SA boss John Hanlon fronted a packed meeting of East End traders and residents at the Stag Hotel last night, declaring that the Government would not let the precinct “fail” as a result of losing the state’s largest hospital to the western end of the city.

He hinted that the Government may build a pedestrian laneway – complete with lighting and “activation” – through the site of the state heritage-listed Ayers House between North Terrace and Rundle Street, in order to connect the old Royal Adelaide Hospital (oRAH) site with the East End.

Ayers House, the only surviving mansion on North Terrace, was home to five-time Premier of South Australia Sir Henry Ayers between 1855 and 1897, and now operates as a museum and function centre.

Hanlon told the meeting Renewal SA had commissioned Adelaide global architecture firm Woods Bagot to produce a “precinct plan” integrating the two areas.

“People need to be able to come off that site [the old Royal Adelaide Hospital site] … and walk over here [to the East End] very easily – that’s the aim,” he told the city council-organised meeting.

He said the Government would have to spend money outside of the oRAH site, on top of $20 million set aside to “activate it”, including to potentially “push linkages through if we need to – especially where we own government property”.

“At this stage, because it’s government-owned land, we’re very much looking at those linkages from Ayers House on North Terrace [… to the area] behind Ayers House and pushing back into Rundle Street.

“We’ve been looking at Ayers House and those sort of areas [for] how we’re going to cross through here into Rundle Street and open those linkages up.”

The Government may carve a pedestrian thoroughfare through the Ayers House site to connect the old Royal Adelaide Hospital site to the East End. This map shows the path of least resistance for a potential pedestrian thoroughfare, but Hanlon did not specify a route. Image: Leah Zahorujko / InDaily

Hanlon stopped short of confirming the Government would cut a new pedestrian link through the Ayers House site, but stressed that it would need to make it very easy for pedestrians to move between North Terrace and Rundle Street.

“I don’t want to make a statement tonight that we will definitely open up this particular area,” he said.

“But we’re pretty strong about the fact that they [pedestrian links] have to be there; you have to be able to walk there easily, it has to be safe, it has to be well-lit, it has to be activated – we understand all of that.

“We’re talking to them about those crossing points … [so that the Government is] not re-creating something over there [oRAH] that takes away from here [the East End].”
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#312 Post by mshagg » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:50 am

Is there not a reasonably activated thoroughfare down Vaughun Pl (about 20 meters away from where a path through the ayers house grounds would run)?

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#313 Post by monotonehell » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:53 am

mshagg wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:50 am
Is there not a reasonably activated thoroughfare down Vaughun Pl (about 20 meters away from where a path through the ayers house grounds would run)?
This was my first reaction - It's called Paxton's Walk, the entrance is right next to Ayers House's western side.
https://goo.gl/maps/H7Y8uhJMn3w

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#314 Post by Kasey771 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:57 am

monotonehell wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:53 am
mshagg wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:50 am
This was my first reaction - It's called Paxton's Walk, the entrance is right next to Ayers House's western side.
https://goo.gl/maps/H7Y8uhJMn3w
Parhaps the govt think that people will walk off the new tram stop at oRAH and not walk back towards Paxton Wk?
Or
maybe they think it'll be a better sell to investors in the oRAH site?
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#315 Post by monotonehell » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:01 am

I just realised, looking at the map provided on Indaily - the selected route goes right through the PalaceNova's link between what was the Imax building and their other screens building. Not sure how they think that will work.