News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway Revitalisation Projects

#331 Post by Norman » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:01 am

New light posts are being installed on Bank Street this morning

HeapsGood
High Rise Poster!
Location: At the Adelaide Airport thankfully now not having to use a Dyson Airblade

#332 Post by HeapsGood » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:23 pm

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 031634953e

Topham Mall cafe forced to close as laneway upgrades are delayed, other businesses struggling
Jade Gailberger, City Editor, The Advertiser
November 1, 2017 10:00pm

Council reviews business mix in Topham Mall
The dramatic change planned for Topham Mall, Bank St
BUSINESSES have been forced to shut their doors, one permanently, in the wake of ongoing construction works in two of the CBD’s most frequented laneways.

City-goers are also fed up with the paving works in Topham Mall and Bank St, with many avoiding the area to the detriment of traders — some of whom have lost a third of their trade.

Work on the $14.6 million Market to Riverbank Link, a joint Renewal SA and Adelaide City Council project, began in Bank St in June and Topham Mall in April.

The project involves new paved footpaths, trees, improved lighting, street furniture and public art to connect the laneways between the Adelaide Central Market and the River Torrens.

Road closures and altered pedestrian paths during construction have had a bigger impact on businesses than first expected, with work to continue until mid-December.

In Topham Mall, Cafe Ela’te closed permanently last week and attributed its loss of trade to the construction.

A few shops north, Lady Burra Brewhouse venue manager Tom Broomhead said noise and dust was “wreaking havoc” for businesses around the mall.

He said the brewhouse’s main access point was through Topham Mall but concreting and paving out the front “has given us no access or limited access through there for days at a time”.

Disability access to the building at 41 Currie St has also been closed for “even a week or two”, Mr Broomhead said.

“Coming in to the better weather in summer we have noticed there has been a little bit of a downturn compared to this time last year,” he said.

How Topham Mall looks right now, with very restricted pedestrian access. Picture: Simon Cross
“Probably 20 to 30 per cent, so pretty considerable.”

The Advertiser understands that underground infrastructure caused some delays to paving works in Topham Mall, pushing its expected completion date from around October to December 15.

Some businesses asked the council for rent reductions but were denied and told they would not be financially compensated.

At Bank St, an Australia’s Pizza House employee, who didn’t want to be named, said she could leave the doors open for only three of the 12 hours the store opened each day due to the dust, resulting in people thinking the business was closed.
*Looks at Dyson Airblade Factory* "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#333 Post by Nathan » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:31 pm

I've always wondered about why people stop going to businesses alongside works like this. I can understand if it's a place that relies on car traffic then access is much more difficult, but walking? Surely the majority of people aren't dumb enough to think that just because part of a road is closed off for works that the businesses there must also be closed. If you were planning on getting a sandwich from Cafe Ela'te, or a beer from Lady Burra, why would a few fences change your mind to go there?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#334 Post by Norman » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:38 pm

Nathan wrote:I've always wondered about why people stop going to businesses alongside works like this. I can understand if it's a place that relies on car traffic then access is much more difficult, but walking? Surely the majority of people aren't dumb enough to think that just because part of a road is closed off for works that the businesses there must also be closed. If you were planning on getting a sandwich from Cafe Ela'te, or a beer from Lady Burra, why would a few fences change your mind to go there?
You'd be surprised to see how fickle some people really are. I would also assume that they rely on a lot of passing traffic (Hey, that place looks cool, let's go in there!).

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#335 Post by Norman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:44 pm

Some photos from yesterday and today

Alyx
High Rise Poster!

#336 Post by Alyx » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:57 pm

Thank you for the photographs, Norman, but yuck! It looks cold, desolate, and a tad shoddy.

Surely we are capable - and deserving - of better than that for our laneways?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#337 Post by Norman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:07 pm

Alyx wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:57 pm
Thank you for the photographs, Norman, but yuck! It looks cold, desolate, and a tad shoddy.

Well, it's not done yet, there are still lights to be installed and more trees to be planted. There should be some more outdoor dining coming as well once it's all done.

Patrick_27

#338 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:40 pm

I must say, I do have some concerns about safety with this one... Even with 10km/hr signage I can just see taxis rocketing down here to score fares on Hindley or worse, someone trying to mow people down on a Friday or Saturday night. Are there bollard to be installed as well?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#339 Post by crawf » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:53 pm

Even unfinished, it still looks 10x better than what was there previously.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#340 Post by mshagg » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:40 pm

Nathan wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:31 pm
I've always wondered about why people stop going to businesses alongside works like this. I can understand if it's a place that relies on car traffic then access is much more difficult, but walking? Surely the majority of people aren't dumb enough to think that just because part of a road is closed off for works that the businesses there must also be closed. If you were planning on getting a sandwich from Cafe Ela'te, or a beer from Lady Burra, why would a few fences change your mind to go there?
If businesses don't blame it on the civil works, how can they put their hand out for compensation? ;)

obituary resider
High Rise Poster!

#341 Post by obituary resider » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:08 pm

Alyx wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:57 pm

Purely out of interest would you be able to elaborate on this? Or hone in on any specifics? I don't necessarily disagree with you (though I am confident the final trimmings that still need to be done will bring it all together) however as an urban designer I am curious to hear what your thoughts are.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#342 Post by Eurostar » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:20 pm

One moment we put up bollards to prevent vehicles from entering the mall, one moment we allow a shared zone on Bank Street which is meant to be part of a pedestrian link between Adelaide Oval and Central Market.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#343 Post by SRW » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:13 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:20 pm
One moment we put up bollards to prevent vehicles from entering the mall, one moment we allow a shared zone on Bank Street which is meant to be part of a pedestrian link between Adelaide Oval and Central Market.
Odd comparison? The Mall is a completely pedestrianised space. Bank St is a street that is being made more pedestrian friendly. It's still a street, but one where vehicles have lower priority. That's why no bollards.
Keep Adelaide Weird

ChillyPhilly

#344 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:47 am

In addition to what SRW has said, the urban design treatment of Bank Street will (I hope) deter most cars from using it as a cut-through.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#345 Post by Eurostar » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:52 pm

Yes but on Pageant day or when events are held such as AFL games and Cricket matches it should be closed off to vehicle traffic