News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#841 Post by jk1237 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:56 pm

the amount of people trying to peep through to have a look at the new Rundle Mall kmart is quite a concern to me :lol:, its just kmart people, even though I probably will use it to do my last minute xmas eve christmas chcocolate presents no doubt.

I dont really mind Kmart in the mall but the huge sign that runs down the building is a bit tacky and slightly devalues the mall I reckon. I must stop being a snob

metro
Legendary Member!

#842 Post by metro » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:11 pm

jk1237 wrote:I dont really mind Kmart in the mall but the huge sign that runs down the building is a bit tacky and slightly devalues the mall I reckon. I must stop being a snob
Did you know that there is a Target on Rundle Street?? :o :lol:

http://www.yelp.com.au/biz_photos/targe ... pnVN5SQyhQ

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#843 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:49 am

I've always found that Target to be quite obscure which is strange given it's located in one of the most high profile intersections of the city. I think its the lack of activity at a street level and poor signage. I know it has windows but they're always filled with either mannequins or advertising. You don't really notice that there's a store inside.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#844 Post by Ben » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:30 am

Kmart unveils two-level store in Rundle Mall
by:
Alice Higgins

The Advertiser

November 21, 2012

CHRISTMAS shoppers get ready - today Kmart unveils a new two-level store in Rundle Mall.

The new store is at the former Toys 'R' Us retail site in the Renaissance Centre.

It is the first time Kmart has opened a CBD store in Australia or New Zealand.

Kmart general manager of fashion Andre Reich said the opening was in response to customer feedback.

"Rundle Mall was a perfect opportunity for us to be bold and do something different," Mr Reich said.

"Our stores are usually a box in a suburb with a carpark and we had not been game enough to tackle a downtown site. Rundle Mall is perfect. It is one of the busiest malls in Australia."

Kmart leased the site three years ago and spent the past nine months renovating the building. More than 150 people have been employed at the store.

The opening coincides with the 25th anniversary of the annual Kmart Wishing Tree Appeal.
Doors open at 8am.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#845 Post by Ben » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:32 am

Great coup for Adelaide and sounds like a lot of new retailers to not just Adelaide but Asutralia.
Point Zero confirmed for Australia

Posted Date: 21/11/2012

By Inside Retail

Three Canadian retailers will make their Australian debut in Adelaide next year, as part of the city’s $385 million Rundle Place retail redevelopment.

Fast fashion chain, Point Zero, teen brand Joshua Perests, and lingerie retailer, Le Vie en Rose, will open next year at Rundle Place, the former iconic Harris Scarfe site currently under construction in Rundle Mall.

Point Zero has more than 35 stores across Canada, 920 shop in shops in department stores at Dillard’s, Macy’s, Bay, and Sears, and has opened franchises in Central and South America and the Middle East. Joshua Perests also has 35 stores in Canada.

La Vie en Rose targets women 25 to 54 and has 165 boutiques in Canada. La Vie en Rose also has stores in the Middle East, Europe, and Asia, with a total of 50 international outlets.

The new Rundle Place house four stories of retail anchored by Coles, Harris Scarfe and 70 specialty stores.

The purchase of the adjoining car park by the developers provides 500 casual car parking spaces and 100 pre-leased car spaces that will directly link to each level of the retail centre.

“The centre is now 95 per cent leased and interest continues to be strong. Over the coming weeks we will be able to release more exciting international names who have decided to make Rundle Place their home," said Ilona Rose, project leasing manager for Rundle Place.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#846 Post by monotonehell » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:51 pm

Ben wrote:
Kmart unveils two-level store in Rundle Mall
Doors open at 8am.
Be interesting to see Target's response to KMart's opening hours.
Target currently opens at 9 and closes at 6pm.
Kmart's hours are 8 to 9pm.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

relapse
Gold-Member ;)

#847 Post by relapse » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:06 am

After going into the Rundle Mall K-Mart, I wouldnt be worried if I was Target as it's not even close to being a full size K-Mart store so it is not going to pose too much of a threat.

It's hard not to be disappointed when you first look in there, whilest I was in there I actually heard others people also voicing their disappointment as to size and lack of variety in the store. It's essentially clothing with a very small toy section and a very small selection of homewares, it actually reminds me of the Golden Grove Target/Baby Target store.

claybro

#848 Post by claybro » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:02 pm

Had the same impression in there today. Although I suppose Rundle Mall is more of a fashion destination rather than homewares, camping goods etc, it was efficient if not a bit underwhelming. :|

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#849 Post by monotonehell » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:00 am

Well actually the Rundle Street Target is a reduced range store as well. It doesn't quite have the range of its suburban cousins. But yes the KMart in Rundle Mall is a very reduced range store. It's a bit like Haris Scarfe's is now.

(Also I appreciate the pun painted on KMart's wall "need a lift" in giant letters over the lifts.)

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#850 Post by Eurostar » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:55 am

Great to see another department store in the mall :)
Maybe soon we will see Kmart Urban stores. The Target Outlet at Harbour Town in West Beach is too small and not really cheaper than any other Target store

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#851 Post by monotonehell » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:52 pm

I noticed that Target have extended their hours beyond their normal.

Speaking of hours:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-12-04/s ... ed/4407088
ABC News wrote:SA Christmas trading times finalised
Details have been given of the extended trading hours for Adelaide shoppers over Christmas.
City stores will be able to open from 11:00am-5:00pm on Boxing Day and New Year's Day.

Suburban retailers will be able to open from 9:00am on Sundays, next weekend and again on December 16 and 23.

All traders will be allowed to stay open until midnight on Thursdays December 13 and 20, as well as Friday December 21.

South Australia now has two half-day public holidays between 7:00pm and midnight on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve, meaning retail and hospitality workers are entitled to higher penalty rates at those times.
The SA Government said many hospitality workers at those times were casuals but full-time and part-time workers would now have the option of whether to be rostered on those two evenings.

Stefan
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#852 Post by Stefan » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:49 pm

So G-Star will be staying in the Myer Centre until the original contract ends, another 4 years (very dissapointed). Renovations of the Myer centre will begin in the new year and should last a whole year. Starting from the top floors which will be offices and heading down to the lower ones by the years end.

IAintTouchin
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#853 Post by IAintTouchin » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:31 am

It's late and i cbf reading but there's a 2 storey Cotton On megastore in the mall as well.
I am iTouch

[Shuz]

#854 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:45 am

It appears that Typo has taken place of the old Cotton On store in Rundle Mall. No signage had been put up when I walked past on Monday but the products definitely look like the Typo inventory. I understand that it will be their second store in South Australia, their first outlet is at Elizabeth Shopping Centre. For those of you who don't know, Typo is owned by Cotton On and sells housewares.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#855 Post by Pikey » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:52 am

[Shuz] wrote:It appears that Typo has taken place of the old Cotton On store in Rundle Mall. No signage had been put up when I walked past on Monday but the products definitely look like the Typo inventory. I understand that it will be their second store in South Australia, their first outlet is at Elizabeth Shopping Centre. For those of you who don't know, Typo is owned by Cotton On and sells housewares.
There's been a Typo at Westfield Marion for quite some time.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |