News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
mattblack
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#1201 Post by mattblack » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:26 pm

pushbutton wrote:What on earth is a "warehouse cafe"?

One thing I can safely predict even though I don't know much about it, is that the coffee is most probably ridiculously overpriced, and the seating area not particularly spacious or comfortable.

Not the sort of place I'd go for a coffee, but thankfully there's plenty of alternatives nearby.
Macca's doesn't count

Matt
Legendary Member!

#1202 Post by Matt » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:34 pm

jk1237 wrote:Quite a cool, hip little warehouse café has opened up on a street running between Waymouth and Franklin Streets (street that Raglans pub is on the corner of). Noticed it as I was walking from work to the markets. Its called Hello, Yes. Quite quirky and interesting, and the coffee was nice too

edit - I think the street is called Eliza St
Good to hear.
One of the worst things about London is that all of the coffee places are the same and usually one of three chains: Starbucks, Costa, Caffe Nero.

They are absolutely everywhere - same menu, same decor. It's just all so dull.

So much here has gone the way of chains/franchising (sandwich stores, restaurants of every cuisine you can think of - all chains) and you miss out on the quirkiness and individuality that you'd get otherwise.

This warehouse cafe sounds great - anything to keep things interesting and unique, rather than going the way of the boring carbon copies that seem to dominate the market here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1203 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:48 pm

mattblack wrote:
pushbutton wrote:What on earth is a "warehouse cafe"?

One thing I can safely predict even though I don't know much about it, is that the coffee is most probably ridiculously overpriced, and the seating area not particularly spacious or comfortable.

Not the sort of place I'd go for a coffee, but thankfully there's plenty of alternatives nearby.
Macca's doesn't count
Pushbutton, cheer up! All you do is whinge. I dare you for one day to write nothing but positivity on this blog. :)

Patrick_27

#1204 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:53 pm

jk1237 wrote:Quite a cool, hip little warehouse café has opened up on a street running between Waymouth and Franklin Streets (street that Raglans pub is on the corner of). Noticed it as I was walking from work to the markets. Its called Hello, Yes. Quite quirky and interesting, and the coffee was nice too

Saw that on Facebook - Looks quite neat! Apparently it's aiming for the 'Grunge' type of vibe, interested to check it out.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#1205 Post by pushbutton » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:00 pm

Sorry, but I'm a pom. Apparently, whinging is what we do best!

I admit a lot of what I write is negative, but not all of it. If you read through my posts you'll find a fair bit of positive stuff too.

Having travelled extensively around the world, I have seen some incredible cities which look genuinely spectacular, and offer incredible experiences for both tourists and those who live there. With these experiences, I set my standards very high, and unfortunately Adelaide often doesn't live up to them. The important thing is though, that I honestly believe Adelaide has the POTENTIAL to be every bit as good as any of the places I've seen anywhere in the world. All that's missing really is imagination. I make no apologies for setting my standards extremely high though.

When I am disappointed with a development, I say so, rather than pretend otherwise just for the sake of sounding positive. With me, what you see is what you get. Nothing fake. So I won't say everything about the Rundle Mall development is "amazing", because it's just not in my opinion.

However, I am very very very impressed with the overall amount of development taking place at the moment in the CBD, and there's several other major projects still in the pipeline.

It is extremely satisfying to see the torrens bridge and the Victoria Square upgrade finally happening. There's been talk of these projects for well over quarter of a century so it's fantastic to see them being built at last.

The Myer Centre interior re-furb has made it much more open and spacious feeling, like it was when it first opened. I must say though it's nowhere near as much fun, and nowhere near as unique as it was, sorry (it was unique in the sense that it offered facilities and attractions that no other centre in SA did). It's a shame they've reduced the usable floor space in both Myer and the Myer Centre, too. There are plenty of fantastic uses that space could be put to, and the centre could be making more money by doing so too.

It's nice to see Arndale looking like a somewhat respectable and modern mall, after so many years of being a depressing hole.

The extension to Westfield West Lakes is nice, just a shame they've made parking so much less convenient than it used to be.

I absolutely LOVE the look of the so-called "cheese grater" building, just wish it was something I could actually go inside and enjoy.

From the artists impressions I have seen, it looks like the new Royal Adelaide Hospital will be by far the nicest looking hospital in SA inside and out. I wish they'd given it a more modern name really (but not the Marjorie name they were going to give it).

Finally, whilst I am not a fan of football or tennis, so am not likely to ever use it, the new Adelaide Oval looks like a very well designed and upmarket stadium from what I have seen. Just a shame they couldn't have come up with a less generic name for it.

So there's some of my more positive thoughts on current Adelaide developments.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1206 Post by cruel_world00 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:36 pm

pushbutton wrote:
Finally, whilst I am not a fan of football or tennis, so am not likely to ever use it, the new Adelaide Oval looks like a very well designed and upmarket stadium from what I have seen. Just a shame they couldn't have come up with a less generic name for it.

Ahahahahahaha. Are you serious? I spose we should have a word with the people in 1871 to ask if they could come up with something less generic.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#1207 Post by pushbutton » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:52 pm

cruel_world00 wrote:
pushbutton wrote:

Ahahahahahaha. Are you serious? I spose we should have a word with the people in 1871 to ask if they could come up with something less generic.
Well it's an Oval, in Adelaide. I wonder what we should call it so that people all over the world will recognise it as an icon? Hmmm.

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#1208 Post by slenderman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:08 pm

pushbutton wrote:
cruel_world00 wrote:
pushbutton wrote:

Well it's an Oval, in Adelaide. I wonder what we should call it so that people all over the world will recognise it as an icon? Hmmm.
I'm personally quite glad it's remaining Adelaide Oval, rather than being called something yuck like how Subiaco Oval in Perth is currently "Paterson's Stadium". Anyway, we're starting to deviate from the topic of CBD Retail, so we should probably keep this sort of convo going in the AO thread...

Matt
Legendary Member!

#1209 Post by Matt » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:19 pm

pushbutton wrote:
cruel_world00 wrote:
pushbutton wrote:

Adelaide Oval, I'd have thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#1210 Post by pushbutton » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:01 am

Sir Donald Bradman stadium would have been a good name.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1211 Post by cruel_world00 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:19 pm

pushbutton wrote:Sir Donald Bradman stadium would have been a good name.

He has a stand. Adelaide Oval is simple, sophisticated and memorable....plus it puts our city's name in lights.

Moving on.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1212 Post by monotonehell » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:07 pm

Adelaide Oval is already a worldwide recognised name. It has value. It has recognition. Why bother with renaming it and losing that value?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

rhino

#1213 Post by rhino » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:43 am

Sounds a lot better than London's "The Oval"

Also, it is the only Major ground in Australia with that sort of name: MCG, SCG, Gabba (Wooloongabba Oval but never called by that name), WACA, Bellerive (Bellerive Oval but always called Bellerive), Adelaide Oval
cheers,
Rhino

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1214 Post by AtD » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:07 am

AAMI Oval

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#1215 Post by mshagg » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:15 am

Yeah it looks great, the guys running it have a fairly accessible social media presence, too. I havent had a chance to get in there yet but a couple of days off for the test this week so heading in there first chance i get. Menu has some interesting depth and variety.

It looks pretty hipster and I've no doubt that everything is fair trade organic etc etc but these tend to be some of the best spots to grab a quiet bite to eat.

It's funny that people covet the effortless urban attitude that melbourne has but then line up to shit can anyone that tries it here! Should have just hollowed it out and put another Cibo in I guess (ala downstairs space at Gallery).

EDIT:

Also, the plaza space at 22 Grenfell St has so far revealed a hair machine (oh joy :roll: ) and a vietnamese deli (more banh mi options!) to be opening.