News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#1411 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:20 am

The Scooter Guy wrote:
dsriggs wrote:Can't really compare the retail scene in America to the one here, tbh. Shopping centres here aren't showing any signs of collapsing any time soon.
But what about the one at Windsor Gardens where Bunnings (formerly Lloyd's) is still trading?
+1

That place once thrived, complete shit-heap now.

MessiahAndrw
High Rise Poster!

#1412 Post by MessiahAndrw » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:23 am

jk1237 wrote:This is good new for the CBD, potentially bad news for the Westfield group. Must admit, I haven't been to Tea Tree Plaza or Marion for about 4+ years. I grew up in the NE suburbs and as a kid, would have 'hang out' at Tea Tree Plaza about 2-3 times a week in 1990s. Even when we used to visit my Nanna in school holidays, we would drag her down the street to Arndale SC. If there is one shopping centre that could go the way of a dead-mall soon, Arndale would have to be it
From living in the U.S., American malls are different to Australian shopping centres. For example, American malls will mostly be just retail and maybe some form of entertainment (a movie theatre). Great for holiday shopping, but you don't really need to go there on an everyday basis.

In Australian shopping centres, it's common to find a couple of supermarkets, a butcher, a library, a post office, Centrelink, bank branches, etc. There are actual everyday needs that keeps a constant flow of people through the doors (and the ripple effect it has on the shops and food court of people making an afternoon out around that trip), not just a place you go for holiday shopping.

You can find some American style malls in Australia, and if malls where to start dying, those would be the first to go.

Urban shopping centres (like the Myer Centre, City Cross Arcade, etc) are in a much stronger position, because they get a lot of people through their doors catering to the hungry CBD workers that need a place to eat.
My blog on urban design: http://www.andrewalexanderprice.com/blog.php

Adeguy72
Gold-Member ;)

#1413 Post by Adeguy72 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:44 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:But what about the one at Windsor Gardens where Bunnings (formerly Lloyd's) is still trading?
This store is about to be demolished I think - to make way for a new Bunnings warehouse?

The application involves the expansion of the existing Bunnings development to encompass the existing supermarket and shops, the demolition of the indoor sports facility to the rear of
the site and the construction of Bunnings on this portion of the site. Stage 1 will comprise the majority of the development. There is an existing Bunnings Bulky Goods Store on site. Stage 1 will involve changing the use of the existing supermarket and speciality shops to extend the existing Bunnings Bulky Goods Store. This extended Bulky Goods Store will have an additional area of 5,567 metres square.
In addition, Stage 1 will provide a timber sales area (1,325 metres square) to the west, and a nursery area and bagged goods canopy (1,396 metres square). This will result in a total floor
area of 8,288 metres square.
Stage 1 will exclude the Indoor Recreation Centre and car park to the immediate south and west.
Stage 2 will represent the balance of the land and will commence once the lease on the Indoor Recreation Centre has expired and the building has become available to Bunnings.
The Indoor Recreation Centre building to the south of the site will be taken over by Bunnings and used as a Timber Trades Sales Area, and Building Materials and Landscape Supplies
Area. Stage 2 is expected to take 10 years to finalise and the applicant has requested a condition allowing this scenario.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1414 Post by Ben » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:49 am

So... back to CBD retail please.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1415 Post by Ben » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:29 pm

Osmosis next to Adelaide Arcade is closing down.

Adelaide Central Plaza is continuing its renovations. Connor has been kicked out and CUE is moving to their space. The Mall Awnings are all being raised and replaced and glass frontage being increased to replace some of the faux sandstone. The second level is all but empty except for Solid Gold Diamonds which opened before Christmas.

I can't help but think they should have thought outside the square here, maybe moved the DJ's entrance to the left or right (rather than the centre) and they could have moved in a 2 level Zara or Topshop.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1416 Post by monotonehell » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:01 pm

Ben wrote:Connor has been kicked out and CUE is moving to their space.
Kicked out or ?
Ben wrote:Solid Gold Diamonds
This business does not know what diamonds are made of.
Ben wrote:I can't help but think they should have thought outside the square here, maybe moved the DJ's entrance to the left or right (rather than the centre) and they could have moved in a 2 level Zara or Topshop.
They can still do this maybe.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1417 Post by Ben » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:43 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Kicked out or ?

Yep, kicked out. Doesn't meet their "upmarket" image

Yes very unusual name
Ben wrote:I can't help but think they should have thought outside the square here, maybe moved the DJ's entrance to the left or right (rather than the centre) and they could have moved in a 2 level Zara or Topshop.
I think its too late. The David Jones fitout is complete. The won't spend money repositioning the entrance now. They must have a few smaller luxury brands lined up.

The Scooter Guy

#1418 Post by The Scooter Guy » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:58 pm

Obun Chef on King William/Pirie St has bumped out for unknown reasons.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Patrick_27

#1419 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:50 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Kicked out or ?
Remember, Top-Shop were meant to open in the upgraded Myer Centre? Whilst I'm only speculating... I'm fairly sure Myer came to their senses and said "no". Afterall, Myer may no longer own the centre, but as the anchor tenant they do have a big say in what goes on... So, why let Top-Shop (a cheap, international clothing store) set up in the centre they already occupy?

Apply this same logic to DJ's... Why in God's name would they let either Zara or TopShop open within their centre? Especially since DJ's are overpriced, it'd ruin them.

IF Zara ever leave their terrible establishment at Burnside Village (I imagine they will once their contract ends), they'll set up in their own location in the mall, like in Bourke Street Mall, Melbourne. The same for TopShop, they'll probably head here soon; especially if H&M are scouting Adelaide for a store, in which case they'll do the same and establish their own shop=front in the mall.

Which in my opinion, this is great news; filling out some of the vacating shopfronts in the mall (Particularly like to see TopShop open somewhere amongst the Citi Centre arcade). Would also be nice if American Apparel came to their senses and moved into the mall...

Patrick_27

#1420 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:53 pm

On another note, whilst I don't enjoy or support fast-food eateries at all; I can't understand why McDonald's never thought to set up shop along Rundle Street somewhere... I can think of two locations that would be really suitable. One being where American Apparel are, the other where Bnkr is (the old Sanity location on the corner of the mall and Pultney), whilst I recognise they're already down that way in an arcade, they don't stay open late and their location is quite hidden and small. Thoughts?

Nathan

#1421 Post by Nathan » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:55 pm

I think AA would prefer where they are over Rundle Mall. Rundle St has probably a better reputation for fashion (the mall is more mainstream), which I'm sure suits them just fine.

For the larger apparel stores, I guess the problem of availability of large enough space. Zara, Top Shop and Uniqlo have all been rumoured to have been looking at the mall, but there's simply no tenancies that would fit for any of them.

McDonalds still has a mall entrance and they do close later than the rest of Citi Centre, so I don't thing a small change of location would bring a change of hours - the current hours are by choice. (And Rundle St is well served by burger places already.)

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1422 Post by crawf » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:26 pm

I have always found Citi Centre to be grossly underwhelming when viewed from the intersection of Rundle and Pulteney Streets. For such a high profile location, the podium should be at least 3 levels and eye catching. The food court isn't much better.

The office tower is quite nice however. It just needs to be double or triple the height.

Nathan

#1423 Post by Nathan » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:31 pm

The food court is terrible. Completely overrun by pigeons.

Dvious
Legendary Member!

#1424 Post by Dvious » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:47 pm

I too have always wondered how much better this building could have been for its time. If it where a 30-40 level building it may have looked quite cool, similar to some of the 90's high-rise in Melbourne.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1425 Post by crawf » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:56 pm

Dvious wrote:I too have always wondered how much better this building could have been for its time. If it where a 30-40 level building it may have looked quite cool, similar to some of the 90's high-rise in Melbourne.
There is actually a building very much similar to this in Melbourne, just a much taller version. Though I cannot remember what it's called.