News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#1696 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:21 pm

Ben wrote:They are going in the 2nd level of Regent Arcade where Globalize used to be (guess the cinema plan is dead).
The cinemas weren't in that section of the arcade, the were further down. Globalize used the area where the original theatre was.
If you walk down the laneway next to the arcade from Grenfell Street you'll see the attached building where two cinemas were, they're basically empty shells.

That being said, I'd love to see the original theatre rebuilt and reopened. The Festival Theatre could oversee it's operation and the ASO could use it as a permanent venue (over Granger Studios on Hindley Street), it'd also provide a fantastic venue for the Fringe.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1697 Post by SRW » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:05 pm

As tasteless as it is, it's not really up to the Rundle Mall Authority or us to determine to whom the building owner leases their space.

But let's hope now that they're opening in Australia they might fall foul of our more strident protections for IP or even just the ire of respectable consumers.
Patrick_27 wrote:That being said, I'd love to see the original theatre rebuilt and reopened. The Festival Theatre could oversee it's operation and the ASO could use it as a permanent venue (over Granger Studios on Hindley Street), it'd also provide a fantastic venue for the Fringe.
Intriguing suggestion! It'd certainly be an improvement on their current facilities but I wonder whether it'd be sufficient for their ambitions. My preference is still for another 'shell' to be built on the site of the Banquet Room, hence also expanding the facilities of the Festival Centre. But that's a topic for another thread...
Keep Adelaide Weird

Alyx
High Rise Poster!

#1698 Post by Alyx » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:12 pm

Coming soon to a food court near you:

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1699 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:14 pm

I hear they want to set one of these up at Parafield too:

I would make a comment about people avoiding it once people realise their quality is probably on par with their Japanese, but then people have been shopping at Jay Jay's and Cotton On for years :lol:

Nathan

#1700 Post by Nathan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:09 pm

SRW wrote:As tasteless as it is, it's not really up to the Rundle Mall Authority or us to determine to whom the building owner leases their space.
That's true, although Ginos Group are generally on the same page about attracting a better quality of tenant (see Leigh St and Peel St), and you'd think with some of the struggles Regent Arcade has had, you'd want a genuinely desirable anchor tenant in that space to attract others into the centre. IP issues aside, is a dollar store the kind of place that would do that?

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#1701 Post by Splashmo » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:25 pm

Embarrassingly it looks like it'll be the first outlet in Australia.

Waewick

#1702 Post by Waewick » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:30 am

Splashmo wrote:Embarrassingly it looks like it'll be the first outlet in Australia.
hy do we need to take it personally?

I'm not embarassed, noting that many a retail brand has tested the water in Adelaide.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1703 Post by monotonehell » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:40 pm

Waewick wrote:
Splashmo wrote:Embarrassingly it looks like it'll be the first outlet in Australia.
hy do we need to take it personally?

I'm not embarassed, noting that many a retail brand has tested the water in Adelaide.
We don't need to be embarrassed. However it's not exactly a brand, more intellectual property misappropriation.

Like Alyx said:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#1704 Post by dsriggs » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:49 pm

Everybody complaining about this, like this is something new we should be "embarrassed" by or whatever, should at least look up Levitz Funiture.

Look familiar?

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1705 Post by Brucetiki » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:23 am

dsriggs wrote:Everybody complaining about this, like this is something new we should be "embarrassed" by or whatever, should at least look up Levitz Funiture.

Look familiar?
Interesting Levitz changed that branding in the 1990's, while Le Cornu kept it until the Fantastic Furniture buyout.

Also, I'd assume the Le Cornu's used the branding with Levitz permission. Given how much US brands like to protect their branding, they would've had their lawyers here quick smart had they been using the branding without permission.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1706 Post by monotonehell » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:43 am

Brucetiki wrote:
dsriggs wrote:Everybody complaining about this, like this is something new we should be "embarrassed" by or whatever, should at least look up Levitz Funiture.

Look familiar?
Interesting Levitz changed that branding in the 1990's, while Le Cornu kept it until the Fantastic Furniture buyout.

Also, I'd assume the Le Cornu's used the branding with Levitz permission. Given how much US brands like to protect their branding, they would've had their lawyers here quick smart had they been using the branding without permission.
I always assumed they were associated in some way because they both had the same slogan as well "You'll love it a Levitz / Le Cornu's"
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

The Scooter Guy

#1707 Post by The Scooter Guy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:41 pm

Both Flight Centres on Grenfell & Waymouth St have amalgamated with Rundle Mall's location.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#1708 Post by pushbutton » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:37 pm

Seems like Levitz and Le Cornu must have had a similar arrangement to the one between Burger King and Hungry Jacks.

As with Le Cornu, the "parent" / original American company (in this case Burger King) doesn't use this logo anymore, yet the Australian business still does!

I'm surprised BK hasn't forced HJ to update to the current logo.
uploadfromtaptalk1449630392225.png
uploadfromtaptalk1449630392225.png (51.78 KiB) Viewed 3278 times

metro
Legendary Member!

#1709 Post by metro » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:58 pm

^When we had Burger King in Sydney many years ago, they had the current BK logo.

The Scooter Guy

#1710 Post by The Scooter Guy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:27 pm

pushbutton wrote:Seems like Levitz and Le Cornu must have had a similar arrangement to the one between Burger King and Hungry Jacks.

As with Le Cornu, the "parent" / original American company (in this case Burger King) doesn't use this logo anymore, yet the Australian business still does!

I'm surprised BK hasn't forced HJ to update to the current logo.
Burger_king_logo_2.png
New Zealand has BK operating too.
"Sometimes, you gotta break the rules"
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/