News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#1981 Post by Ben » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:39 am

Well the site is being redeveloped. There are renders in here somewhere. There are 2 tenancies. I doubt BankSA will take both, with a branch probably only 100m away on King William.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1982 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:23 pm

Ben wrote:Well the site is being redeveloped. There are renders in here somewhere. There are 2 tenancies. I doubt BankSA will take both, with a branch probably only 100m away on King William.
Hold up, aren't they meant to be bulldozing Katie's for a new development? Or are BankSA moving into the new development? Will be good to see the BankSA building further down get the gut.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1983 Post by Ben » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:11 pm

Adidas opened today.

Hello world in Myer Centre has closed leaving another ground level vacancy. Queenspark on level 1 of ACP is closing down, leaving just 3 out of the 8 tenancies leased.

Abwolf
Gold-Member ;)

#1984 Post by Abwolf » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:24 pm

Hungry Jacks in City X boarded up today.

Not sure if it's a closure or a refit, no signage that I saw to suggest it is reopening.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#1985 Post by Splashmo » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:26 pm

Any word on H&M or Uniqlo yet?

At least you can shop Uniqlo online - whereas H&M is prioritising stores in Wollongong and Toowomba :?

Patrick_27

#1986 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:34 pm

Splashmo wrote:Any word on H&M or Uniqlo yet?

At least you can shop Uniqlo online - whereas H&M is prioritising stores in Wollongong and Toowomba :?
I don't think anyone in Adelaide should expect to see Uniqlo pop up here anytime soon... As for H&M they're likely to position themselves in Marion ad TTP before the city, in-fact I seem to recall hearing that they'd be looking to open in a revamped TTP.

The lack of Zara, TopShop, H&M and Uniqlo in Rundle Mall can be attributed to the fact that we have all these giant arcade centres throughout our mall that simply don't provide the right kind of retail space and therefore remain very much under-utilised... I think it's high time that the state government got on the backs of the property owners for these buildings and perhaps imposed some kind of vacancy tax. It might encourage some flexibility in the retail spaces up for grabs... I don't think it should be the ACC financial responsibility (like it has been in providing grants for upgrading heritage facades) to encourage more space for these international brands.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1987 Post by monotonehell » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:55 am

Patrick_27 wrote:

I don't think anyone in Adelaide should expect to see Uniqlo pop up here anytime soon... As for H&M they're likely to position themselves in Marion ad TTP before the city, in-fact I seem to recall hearing that they'd be looking to open in a revamped TTP.

The lack of Zara, TopShop, H&M and Uniqlo in Rundle Mall can be attributed to the fact that we have all these giant arcade centres throughout our mall that simply don't provide the right kind of retail space and therefore remain very much under-utilised... I think it's high time that the state government got on the backs of the property owners for these buildings and perhaps imposed some kind of vacancy tax. It might encourage some flexibility in the retail spaces up for grabs... I don't think it should be the ACC financial responsibility (like it has been in providing grants for upgrading heritage facades) to encourage more space for these international brands.
For the third time; TopShop opened in Rundle Mall on 11 Feb 2016 (in Myer).
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Llessur2002

#1988 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:11 pm

But it is only a concession which, whilst better than nothing, carries a much smaller range (especially menswear) than even the smallest Topshop store.

A proper Topshop would be awesome - I still maintain that the old Harris Scarfe tenancy in Rundle Mall Plaza would be perfect for a Topshop as they're generally not the biggest stores, with the exception of their flagship locations. Alternatively, combining the the Harris Scarfe and Spotlight tenancies in RMP would be a great size and layout for a mid-sized H&M.

I guess the above ground-level thing is the issue here, but I doubt it would have much of an effect on customer numbers in the case of a multinational like Topshop or Hennes.

Patrick_27

#1989 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:13 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:

For the third time; TopShop opened in Rundle Mall on 11 Feb 2016 (in Myer).
And for the second time; if you think that is a TopShop, then you've obviously never been to a real TopShop (or TopMan for that matter)...

YellowRoad
Gold-Member ;)

#1990 Post by YellowRoad » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:16 pm

An AS colour is coming soon on Rundle Street, next door to Grilld.

http://www.ascolour.com.au/ for anyone curious.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1991 Post by Ben » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:12 pm

Officeworks are opening in the former Priceline store on Gawler Place.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1992 Post by crawf » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:34 pm

Ben wrote:Officeworks are opening in the former Priceline store on Gawler Place.
Aa an office worker and someone who deals with procurement, this excites me :D

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1993 Post by monotonehell » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:45 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:And for the second time; if you think that is a TopShop, then you've obviously never been to a real TopShop (or TopMan for that matter)...

(I haven't even visited the concession in Myer. ;) )
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Patrick_27

#1994 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:24 pm

crawf wrote:
Ben wrote:Officeworks are opening in the former Priceline store on Gawler Place.
Aa an office worker and someone who deals with procurement, this excites me :D
I'm excited for this also, though considering how long it's teased that Officeworks might open in the CBD I'm surprised by their choice of location... It makes perfect sense because it's closer to the business hub of the CBD and the size of the site would suite a smaller style store for immediate office needs (allowing for the bigger suburban stores not to feel the brunt by this) but I just never would have picked Gawler Place. Should be good for the area!

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#1995 Post by Splashmo » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:42 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:A proper Topshop would be awesome - I still maintain that the old Harris Scarfe tenancy in Rundle Mall Plaza would be perfect for a Topshop as they're generally not the biggest stores, with the exception of their flagship locations. Alternatively, combining the the Harris Scarfe and Spotlight tenancies in RMP would be a great size and layout for a mid-sized H&M.
The adaptation of that building was very poor - walking past the entrance on Rundle Mall you'd have very little idea of what was inside or upstairs, and it has the feeling of escalators to nowhere (especially now!) not to mention the dodgy staircase and the low ceiling in the basement. I wouldn't be sorry to see the whole building go... clearly it's never going to be the glamour of David Jones ever again, nor enjoy the proximity to the Myer Centre through the skyways.