News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Message
Author
User avatar
baytram366
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:06 pm
Location: Western Adelaide
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 9 times
Contact:

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#2776 Post by baytram366 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:05 am

Just out of curiosity, what was this building originally built for?
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

User avatar
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1545
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:59 pm
Location: West Croydon
Has thanked: 484 times
Been thanked: 723 times

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#2777 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:11 am

baytram366 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:05 am
Just out of curiosity, what was this building originally built for?
It was built for David Jones in 1960-something.

There are a couple of pictures back on this thread: http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... 0&start=15

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!
Posts: 839
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:20 pm
Has thanked: 566 times
Been thanked: 72 times

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#2778 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:31 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:11 am
baytram366 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:05 am
Just out of curiosity, what was this building originally built for?
It was built for David Jones in 1960-something.

There are a couple of pictures back on this thread: http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... 0&start=15
In hindsight, they should've never moved. The current DJ's location is quite a downgrade - especially today.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5431
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:49 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 190 times
Been thanked: 329 times

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#2779 Post by crawf » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:01 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:31 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:11 am
baytram366 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:05 am
Just out of curiosity, what was this building originally built for?
It was built for David Jones in 1960-something.

There are a couple of pictures back on this thread: http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... 0&start=15
In hindsight, they should've never moved. The current DJ's location is quite a downgrade - especially today.
In what way?

Nort
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1332
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:08 pm
Has thanked: 313 times
Been thanked: 182 times

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#2780 Post by Nort » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:45 pm

Are any of the links between this building and the Myer Centre being reinstated? It has always seemed a shame that they ended up closed up after DJs moved (although you could get through to Radio Rentals and Spotlight through them for a while)

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1979
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA
Been thanked: 270 times

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#2781 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:52 pm

Nort wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:45 pm
Are any of the links between this building and the Myer Centre being reinstated? It has always seemed a shame that they ended up closed up after DJs moved (although you could get through to Radio Rentals and Spotlight through them for a while)
Yes - the second access to the Myer Centre will be reopened to link up with the foodcourt. I'm not sure about the level four link but I would hope so considering the only other access to level four would be by elevator.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1979
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA
Been thanked: 270 times

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#2782 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:00 pm

If we're really talking about great shames here, it's sad that the Birks department store building was bulldozed for what is now RMP. You simply can't recreate that style of building anymore and if you look at old pictures, it's street front in current day would make for great retail spaces for high end brands.

Nort
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1332
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:08 pm
Has thanked: 313 times
Been thanked: 182 times

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#2783 Post by Nort » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:50 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:52 pm
Nort wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:45 pm
Are any of the links between this building and the Myer Centre being reinstated? It has always seemed a shame that they ended up closed up after DJs moved (although you could get through to Radio Rentals and Spotlight through them for a while)
Yes - the second access to the Myer Centre will be reopened to link up with the foodcourt. I'm not sure about the level four link but I would hope so considering the only other access to level four would be by elevator.
That's great hopefully brings some life up there.

User avatar
baytram366
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:06 pm
Location: Western Adelaide
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 9 times
Contact:

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#2784 Post by baytram366 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:36 am

When and why did DJ's move?
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 6975
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:46 am
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 314 times
Been thanked: 1262 times

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#2785 Post by Ben » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:43 am

David Jones bought John Martins and eventually closed the store. They decided to build a new store on the John martins site around 1996 as they thought their store was out dated. Turns out everything old is new again and they may regret that decision somewhat but at the same time the ACP store won best department store in the world in the year of opening.

User avatar
AndyWelsh
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 348
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:44 pm
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 690 times

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#2786 Post by AndyWelsh » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:18 pm

Inside the new H&M store, ground floor, taken today from Rundle Mall when one of their doors was open:

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1755
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Adder-Laid, South Australia.
Has thanked: 303 times
Been thanked: 633 times
Contact:

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#2787 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:05 pm

Taken today.

Image
Last edited by ChillyPhilly on Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!
Posts: 736
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:39 am
Has thanked: 333 times
Been thanked: 59 times

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#2788 Post by Mpol03 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:23 pm

Thanks for the image.

Really dislike how they have used a green window colour on the new windows, where the retail ground floor windows are clear and the older windows on the higher levels are another colour again. Looks messy.

User avatar
skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2359
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:16 pm
Location: fassifern (near Brisbane)
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#2789 Post by skyliner » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:23 pm

While we are on department stores, we had Birks, Myer, DJ's, Cox Foys, Millers, Moores, Harris Scarfe's, John Martin's and one opposite the Rundle Mall carpark. Only ones I don't remember are Birk's and the one opposite the old Grand Central Hotel. Rundle Mall was crammed with people ALL the time as with cars.(But dead at night) A VERY busy place with several Theatres added. The big city feel strongly existed. (still had the trams as well - can't tell if Rundle St had a single line as well). A pity we have lost nearly all of these.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CBD.
Jack.

User avatar
baytram366
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:06 pm
Location: Western Adelaide
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 9 times
Contact:

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#2790 Post by baytram366 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:47 am

Rundle St didn't have trams but trolley buses were used on what is now Rundle Mall.
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: timtam20292 and 15 guests