News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#2806 Post by AndyWelsh » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:45 pm

I was talking to my colleague about our recent trips to Brisbane, where Uniqlo and H&M are next door to each other and we both said Uniqlo was better. Still looking forward to Friday though.

On a side note we also agreed Brisbane’s Queen Street Mall just seemed to have higher quality street furniture, and also more places to eat, drink and sit in the shade. (I know the rationale about Rundle Malls sight lines to the hills and more flexible pop up carts, events etc.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2807 Post by SRW » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:47 pm

Now that Rundle Plaza and City Arcade have been taken up by new majors, what are everyone's guesses for where Uniqlo or Zara might go?

Once the Gawler Place upgrade is complete, it'd be great to see that Gallerie arcade proposal get off the ground with one of the two. Would really help to build the connection between the Mall and North Tce.
Last edited by SRW on Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2808 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:56 pm

jorcoga wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:04 pm
Looks like they're setting it up with only one checkout area that requires you to exit the store onto Pulteney Street. Which... not how I would've done it, I'll say that much.
I would have relocated McDonald's to the corner tenancy taking up the former Telstra space and Opt Store and then used the current McDonald's footprint as an entry point that could allow for checkouts going out onto Pultney and the Mall.

Patrick_27

#2809 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:58 pm

SRW wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:47 pm
Now that Rundle Plaza and City Arcade have been taken up by new majors, what are everyone's guesses for where Uniqlo or Zara might go?

Once the Gawler Place upgrade is complete, it'd be great to see that Gallerie arcade proposal get off the ground with one of the two. Would really help to build the connection between the Mall and North Tce.
The Gawler Place building development would allow for either Zara or Uniqlo to take up shop. The only other options would be City Cross if that ever sells and gets the upgrade treatment, the Reject Shop building, or if Woolworth site if they ever decide to develop that site.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2810 Post by crawf » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:42 pm

We currently have two Rebel Sports in the city, so it's matter of time before one closes.

The City Cross store covers a large floor space.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#2811 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:56 pm

crawf wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:37 pm
Awesome... now time for Uniqlo to come here.
My wallet is terrified at this thought :D
AndyWelsh wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:45 pm
I was talking to my colleague about our recent trips to Brisbane, where Uniqlo and H&M are next door to each other and we both said Uniqlo was better. Still looking forward to Friday though.
Uni Qlo is fantastic for t-shirts, but I've found that H&M is better for jumpers, shorts, pants etc.

I was actually hoping to avoid the opening here by doing some shopping at an interstate H&M the other week - except they left the security tag on one of the items I bought. So I'll have to do the awkward walk of shame into Rundle Mall to get the tag removed.
crawf wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:42 pm
We currently have two Rebel Sports in the city, so it's matter of time before one closes.

The City Cross store covers a large floor space.
I recall suggesting the City Cross Rebel Sport being a good spot for Uni Qlo in this thread some time ago, but it didn't seem to be a popular idea.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2812 Post by Pants » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:24 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:58 pm
SRW wrote:

The Gawler Place building development would allow for either Zara or Uniqlo to take up shop. The only other options would be City Cross if that ever sells and gets the upgrade treatment, the Reject Shop building, or if Woolworth site if they ever decide to develop that site.
Can’t say which one, but it’s very likely that Zara will be taking up one of the sites you mentioned.

Llessur2002

#2813 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:56 am

The wraps came off the ground floor of Rundle Mall Plaza this morning:

From the rear of the plaza looking south:

From the Rundle Mall entrance looking north:

Looking up to the first floor:

Lower ground floor:

Lower ground floor looking north:

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#2814 Post by Mpol03 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:55 am

This looks great!
I love the consideration regarding the textures and finishes. Yes!

Llessur2002

#2815 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:02 am

Yep - the old girl's scrubbed up pretty well.

They're going all out on trying to get it as finished as possible for tomorrow. It's like one of those TV shows where they have to renovate a house in 24 hours. People everywhere...

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2816 Post by SRW » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:46 am

Does the food court open tomorrow too?
Keep Adelaide Weird

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#2817 Post by AndyWelsh » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:14 pm

SRW wrote:Does the food court open tomorrow too?

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#2818 Post by AndyWelsh » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:17 pm

Nathan

#2819 Post by Nathan » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:36 pm

Whoops!
AndyWelsh wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:17 pm

Patrick_27

#2820 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:53 pm

Pants wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:24 am
Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:58 pm
SRW wrote:

Can’t say which one, but it’s very likely that Zara will be taking up one of the sites you mentioned.
I can narrow it down... It's not the Woolworths site. So it's either City X because Rebel are moving out or it's the Reject Shop building because they've only recently had two or three entire floors of space up for lease in the upper floors of the building. Tell me I'm wrong. :wink: