News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Mpol03
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#3211 Post by Mpol03 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:27 am

I agree with the sentiment to bulldoze and start again... bring in a few big international retailers and it could become a thriving multipurpose hub.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3212 Post by Nathan » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:04 am

Ben wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:07 am
Australian Geographic and the shoe store on ground floor have now closed too (replaced by the temporary art gallery that pops up in dead shops). Myer centre is in a sad state. Who would have thought that paint job and new tiles wouldn't have brought in more people :roll: It needs to be completely redesigned, the layout is clunky.
Are you sure about Australian Geographic? They became Curious Planet after the company that now owns the magazine decided to stop licensing the name, but it's essentially the same store.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3213 Post by Ben » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:17 am

That makes sense. They had a corflute sign up and looked like a pop up shop.

nath91
Gold-Member ;)

#3214 Post by nath91 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:45 am

Big W are tightening up their network and closing stores, there's no way they would or should go to the CBD. Brickworks and Cumberland Park are 10 min away.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#3215 Post by citywatcher » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:20 pm

nath91 wrote:Big W are tightening up their network and closing stores, there's no way they would or should go to the CBD. Brickworks and Cumberland Park are 10 min away.
That's the thinking I'm talking about

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#3216 Post by citywatcher » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:28 pm

Mpol03 wrote:I agree with the sentiment to bulldoze and start again... bring in a few big international retailers and it could become a thriving multipurpose hub.
It's worth tens of millions of dollars
Bulldoze it and replace it with what? .......A newer building full of shops ?

Jimbus2000
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3217 Post by Jimbus2000 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:44 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster here!

I used to be a manager at big w and a cbd shopfront has been on the cards for a long time. In the past they had always stayed away from cbd tenancies but with the change to retail trends they have proved to be the most resilient. The queen Vic Big W store in Melbourne cbd for example out performs every other store by a long shot. Obviously Big w is in a tight position at present and choosing to open a new store while shuttering 30 probably sends the wrong message. But I would expect it is something they would consider if a prime tenancy became available, especially with Kmart in the mall.

It could be a good addition to the area as we see more international and premium brands come to adelaide it still gives residents cheaper options. As someone said combining with a woolies or even the new format woolies metro could be a good move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ghs

#3218 Post by ghs » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:10 pm

citywatcher wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:28 pm
Mpol03 wrote:I agree with the sentiment to bulldoze and start again... bring in a few big international retailers and it could become a thriving multipurpose hub.

This is a good point. The cost of demolishing the Myer centre would be huge. It simply wouldn't be worth it.

I believe that some of the issues here are a result of the council and the state government doing very little to encourage people
into the CBD. Closing the shop early doesn't do much to draw people in and having parking inspectors everywhere is a great way
to encourage people to head into the city.

nath91
Gold-Member ;)

#3219 Post by nath91 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:24 pm

citywatcher wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:20 pm
nath91 wrote:Big W are tightening up their network and closing stores, there's no way they would or should go to the CBD. Brickworks and Cumberland Park are 10 min away.

Am all for trying new ideas and concepts but we actually know Big W aren't in a position to do this given their recent position and announcement of closing 30 stores. It's not the right usage.

I've mentioned the idea of a family/youth entertainment venue in the Skycity thread, given this is not Sky City's target market and not a part of their development it would be great to see something like this in the mall, whether it be in Rundle Place, in the existing Myer Centre or a new venue on Rundle Mall.

Wouldn't need to be all of these, but leisure elements like Cinemas, Laser Skirmish, Strike Bowling, Mini Golf, Escape Rooms, iFly indoor sky diving, Infinity Rooms, Latitude/Bounce, Lego Discovery Centre, a wellness and leisure centre (check out Virgin Active). Retail components could be your youth brands like Uniqlo, JD Sports, large scale Foot Locker House of Hoops, Nike Store, JB HI FI, plus add in a few family dining destinations like a TGI Fridays, plus some adult bars and dining options.

Check out American Dream in New Jersey US, using large scale amusements as key anchors, amongst general retail. https://www.americandream.com/

Would add a whole new zest to the mall and draw people in from the suburbs as well as be an attractive destination for tourists.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#3220 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:55 pm

SRW wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Harris Scarfe has gone into voluntary administration but will keep trading through at least Christmas while they look for a buyer.

Remembering that they’ve gone broke before (in 2001), I reckon they’ll probably keep going in some form or another. But if not, that’s a significant space to have vacant.

Have to say too, the city store looks completely dead whenever I happen to go into it. Aside all the other challenges for retail atm and department stores in particular, I often wondered if the loss of a ground level presence in Rundle Plaza was a significant detriment.
The 2001 was very infamous - suppliers literally took stock off the shop floor in front of staff and shoppers

ghs

#3221 Post by ghs » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:26 pm

I've started a dedicated thread for Harris Scarfe discussions :

https://www.sensational-adelaide.com/fo ... 54#p187180

Nort

#3222 Post by Nort » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:49 pm

ghs wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:10 pm
citywatcher wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:28 pm

This is a good point. The cost of demolishing the Myer centre would be huge. It simply wouldn't be worth it.

I believe that some of the issues here are a result of the council and the state government doing very little to encourage people
into the CBD. Closing the shop early doesn't do much to draw people in and having parking inspectors everywhere is a great way
to encourage people to head into the city.
Adelaide is the most car friendly CBD in Australia.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#3223 Post by citywatcher » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:24 pm

nath91 wrote:
citywatcher wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:20 pm

Am all for trying new ideas and concepts but we actually know Big W aren't in a position to do this given their recent position and announcement of closing 30 stores. It's not the right usage.

I've mentioned the idea of a family/youth entertainment venue in the Skycity thread, given this is not Sky City's target market and not a part of their development it would be great to see something like this in the mall, whether it be in Rundle Place, in the existing Myer Centre or a new venue on Rundle Mall.

Wouldn't need to be all of these, but leisure elements like Cinemas, Laser Skirmish, Strike Bowling, Mini Golf, Escape Rooms, iFly indoor sky diving, Infinity Rooms, Latitude/Bounce, Lego Discovery Centre, a wellness and leisure centre (check out Virgin Active). Retail components could be your youth brands like Uniqlo, JD Sports, large scale Foot Locker House of Hoops, Nike Store, JB HI FI, plus add in a few family dining destinations like a TGI Fridays, plus some adult bars and dining options.

Check out American Dream in New Jersey US, using large scale amusements as key anchors, amongst general retail. https://www.americandream.com/

Would add a whole new zest to the mall and draw people in from the suburbs as well as be an attractive destination for tourists.
Again the thinking is linear
Why would that mean a CBD Big W wouldn't work?
All you have done is provide an opinion which someone from Big W has put a few holes in already
Bouncey castles and nudie bars ?
What's stopping them from closing a smaller store and following the Melb CBD model ? !

Patrick_27

#3224 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:27 pm

citywatcher wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:41 am
SRW wrote:
Nort wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:18 am

That would be a perfect use of the space, something that brings people into the mall and the way the building is setup it would have good visibility.
I think this is a better fit for (and only way to save) the upper levels of the Myer Centre.
A walk around the bigger city shopping precincts would provide plenty of ideas I just think they put it in the too hard and it's only Adelaide and not worth the time and money basket

I use to think this, and in some ways still do. However, I think the lack of success that Greater Union have had since reopening their Hindley Street cinemas is indicative that people don't really want to see a film in a complex that's hard to get to, and by that I mean... Palace Nova have an abundance of cheap parking options nearby on Rundle Street (along the parklands) whereas Hindley Street doesn't have that same luxury and neither does the Mall. In case you're wondering how I've determined the level of success that GU Film House have had? It's now only open Thursday through to Sunday.

Patrick_27

#3225 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:31 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:04 am
The Myer Centre should be knocked down and rebuilt with retail and eateries on ground level, London Tavern on second floor with balcony, then floors of offices/apartments/hotel rooms on levels above.

If Big W did move into mall it should be a combined Woolworths , Big W store. I remember a restaurant used to be in basement before the previous upgrade maybe this time it should be on ground or above the shop.

Rundle Mall has nice views of the hills, we should have alfresco dining and balconies in the mall to take advantage of that especially at night time.
Agree with everything you have said here. Brisbane have done good with their Queen Street Mall applying some of these measures. That said, it's unlikely the Myer Centre will ever be bulldozed considering the sheer size of the building. What I can see happening is Woolworths and Big W building a new centre for themselves, though I don't believe Woolworths own their Rundle Mall site.