News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#3256 Post by Brucetiki » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:53 pm

Nort wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:21 pm
Brucetiki wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:04 pm
First time I saw a movie there, an undesirable managed to scrounge up enough for a ticket. Management couldn't not sell him one (he was undesirable, but hadn't done anything wrong), but advised us if they were to act up during the movie let them know and they'd evict them immediately. Thankfully we watched the movie without incident, but I've only been back once as a result.
Uh, what exactly does "an undesirable" mean?
From what I gathered, this individual often loitered around the cinema causing a nuisance, but would rarely buy a ticket to see a movie.

The evening we were there they were demanding they let them in to use their toilet. The cinema staff (rightly) said the toilets were for patrons only. After about 10 minutes of arguing, they eventually bought a ticket (and I assumed used the toilets).

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3257 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:29 pm

The problem with a lot of these opinions and observations is that none of them involved proper analysis. Sure, upper level entertainment works in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane, very well in fact; but you should all know by now that Adelaide's retail and hospitality market works very differently from those markets interstate and overseas. Whilst I would love to see cinemas back in the Mall (whether it be the upper levels of the Myer Centre or other spot I've always seen them viable is the Renaissance Building - where Kmart is) but the fact is there has to be a market and whilst a lot of people service the mall during the day, masses tend to service the suburban eateries and and cinemas in the evening, why? Because of parking. The beauty of these sorts of things in those other Australian cities mentioned is that if locals don't frequent them, then tourists will. The biggest problem that I've noticed in Adelaide is that mentality of "we'll just whack that in there and it should fix our problem!" and nine times out of ten, it doesn't, and when it does, it doesn't last very long before it wears off.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#3258 Post by AndyWelsh » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:34 pm

New OTR Rundle Street:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Scooter Guy

#3259 Post by The Scooter Guy » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:12 pm

Wendy's Supa Sundaes in the Myer Centre Food Court isn't there anymore.
And since it's next door to the former lolly shop/salad bar, I assume they're going to be leased as one soon!

And the former Motoquip store is still for lease for more than 5 years now.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

utaussiefan
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3260 Post by utaussiefan » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:27 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:12 pm
And since it's next door to the former lolly shop/salad bar, I assume they're going to be leased as one soon!
Wendy's haven't been there for about 12 months now I think. The Candy shop even longer.

The Scooter Guy

#3261 Post by The Scooter Guy » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:14 pm

utaussiefan wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:27 pm
The Scooter Guy wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:12 pm
Wendy's haven't been there for about 12 months now I think. The Candy shop even longer.
And Motoquip for years I think.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#3262 Post by AndyWelsh » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:03 pm

Harris Scarfe’s Rundle Mall store will close
In 4 weeks according to The Advertiser. Other stores in SA will stay open “at this stage”.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#3263 Post by gnrc_louis » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:08 pm

Wonder what's the likelihood of a Uniqlo or something similar opening in that spot? Or would they want a mall shopfront?

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#3264 Post by AndyWelsh » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:53 pm

They could setup in a similar way to their Sydney Pitt Street Mall store, which is up an escalator on Level 1. Maybe Rundle Place could allow a first floor window display out to Rundle Mall too?

[Shuz]

#3265 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:01 pm

I can see a Big W taking up a floor or two. They don't have a CBD presence.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Nathan

#3266 Post by Nathan » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:45 pm

Yes to Uniqlo and/or Muji taking up space. I think a Big W would be a fail. The mall doesn’t need more discount department stores, nor duplicates of what can be found in the suburban centres, and I suspect the a good portion of Big W shoppers are also people that complain about how expensive city parking apparently is.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#3267 Post by Brucetiki » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:59 am

The Harris Scarfe space would be perfect for Uni Qlo. Whether they take up 1 or 2 floors though - I think 1 floor would be sufficent for them in comparison to their other stores.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#3268 Post by ml69 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:52 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:59 am
The Harris Scarfe space would be perfect for Uni Qlo. Whether they take up 1 or 2 floors though - I think 1 floor would be sufficent for them in comparison to their other stores.
Would any major chain be game enough to take up space on the first floor in Rundle Mall anymore?

nath91
Gold-Member ;)

#3269 Post by nath91 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:57 pm

Move out Sussan and Ted Baker on the ground floor - and have 2 level Uniqlo or Zara overlook onto Rundle Mall, same as Westfield Sydney.
Put in escalators and glass lift into this new tenancy and direct up to level 1.
Would be quite impactful and prominent having a Uniqlo/Zara on one side and Apple on the other, plus Sephora opposite them and H&M a few doors down.
Attachments
Rundle Place.png

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3270 Post by Ben » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:14 pm

That’s a great idea and probably the easiest and most practical solution.