News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
mshagg
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#2236 Post by mshagg » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:05 am

New barber/coffee shop has opened on Waymouth Street, in the retail tenancy next to the convenience store on the ground floor of the Adam Internet building.

Also right next door, signage on the vacant tenancy next to Bakmi Lim suggests Japanese style cuisine. Windows still covered.

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2237 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:18 am

Patrick_27 wrote:The biggest loss of this RMP upgrade is the fact they aren't going to do anything to correct the sizing of the windows for the existing office component but instead add another level of them. Especially considering the lower levels where the foodcourt is planned, they're installing nice, well-fitting windows. It just looks so patchy and disjoins the building further.
Agree the big, full-size windows look really good but with Levels 3, 4 and 6 fully tenanted (and presumably therefore providing pretty much the only income for the building at this stage), it would be a big risk to eject the existing tenants to renovate the facade on the office floors too.

However, Level 6 is occupied by the New RAH project teams so presumably they won't be around for too much longer. Levels 3 & 4 are occupied by the University of Adelaide who, if the first stages of the campus masterplan go ahead, could have a new building to move to in the coming years. There is still an opportunity then to complete the facade renovations in the nearish future, once the retail units were providing income again.

Patrick_27

#2238 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:19 pm

Michael Hill are moving into the old Roger David shopfront a few doors down from where they currently are.

People's Choice Credit Union are moving out of their Pulteney Street on June 30. I'd really like to see some work done on the Citi Centre Arcade, it's screaming tasteless 90s...

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2239 Post by Ben » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:23 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:Michael Hill are moving into the old Roger David shopfront a few doors down from where they currently are.

People's Choice Credit Union are moving out of their Pulteney Street on June 30. I'd really like to see some work done on the Citi Centre Arcade, it's screaming tasteless 90s...
Has signage gone up? I was told it's going to be Lorna Jane.

Nathan

#2240 Post by Nathan » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:48 pm

Quebec Fries, Sushitime and that Vietnamese place next to KFC have all closed in City Cross. Two have signs up for their new tenants (a fish & chips + oyster bar, and Malaysian noodles), but both are looking like they're going to be done very much on the cheap.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2241 Post by crawf » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:08 am

Nathan wrote:Quebec Fries, Sushitime and that Vietnamese place next to KFC have all closed in City Cross. Two have signs up for their new tenants (a fish & chips + oyster bar, and Malaysian noodles), but both are looking like they're going to be done very much on the cheap.
What is going on with City Cross lately?. Quite a few vacant stores, yet the place is still brimming with people each day.

City Cross was put on the market last year so perhaps that has something to do with it?

Llessur2002

#2242 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:10 am

Ben wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:Michael Hill are moving into the old Roger David shopfront a few doors down from where they currently are.

Has signage gone up? I was told it's going to be Lorna Jane.
Michael Hill signage went up a couple of days ago.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#2243 Post by mshagg » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:42 am

crawf wrote:
Nathan wrote:Quebec Fries, Sushitime and that Vietnamese place next to KFC have all closed in City Cross. Two have signs up for their new tenants (a fish & chips + oyster bar, and Malaysian noodles), but both are looking like they're going to be done very much on the cheap.
What is going on with City Cross lately?. Quite a few vacant stores, yet the place is still brimming with people each day.

City Cross was put on the market last year so perhaps that has something to do with it?
I was surprised at Quebec fries as they seemed to pull fairly good business, although I'm not sure how popular they were outside of core lunch hours. Presumably these businesses aren't leaving themselves with much working capital post fitout.

Also - who on earth thinks people want to buy oysters in a food court? Seriously?

The Scooter Guy

#2244 Post by The Scooter Guy » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:41 pm

mshagg wrote:
crawf wrote:

I was surprised at Quebec fries as they seemed to pull fairly good business, although I'm not sure how popular they were outside of core lunch hours. Presumably these businesses aren't leaving themselves with much working capital post fitout.

Also - who on earth thinks people want to buy oysters in a food court? Seriously?
Spaghetti Junction has been converted into 'Tatsu'. The number of businesses coming & going at City Cross is quite bewildering.
Quebec Fries have also closed their Kilkenny & Noarlunga outlets too, hence the complaints on Facebook.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2245 Post by Ben » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:33 pm

Sushi Train are moving to the much larger tenancy just up from where they are now, where the red door bakery used to be.

The Scooter Guy

#2246 Post by The Scooter Guy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:03 pm

Ben wrote:Sushi Train are moving to the much larger tenancy just up from where they are now, where the red door bakery used to be.
I certainly do hope it succeeds in that new location, unlike Salad Choice.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Nort

#2247 Post by Nort » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:00 pm

mshagg wrote:
crawf wrote:

Over the last few months the Quebec fries had been trying new things like toasties at crazy prices and also cutting down on other options, seems it was a while coming.

Patrick_27

#2248 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:03 pm

As well as People's Choice Credit Union, the neighbouring convenience store in Citi Centre Arcade has closed, I suspect something will be taking up both sites... Here's hoping it's something that actually takes advantage of the arcade access.

Patrick_27

#2249 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:27 pm

The old Fasta Pasta/Wendy's shopfront in Rundle Place is being divided, Cocolat are reopening in one of the spaces.

A cafe space is being created in Bible House behind Novo shoes on Twin Street.

Oddly, Jurlique are doing some upgrades to their RMP shopfront including replacement of signage?

ghs

#2250 Post by ghs » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:49 pm

Nathan wrote: Quebec Fries, Sushitime and that Vietnamese place next to KFC have all closed in City Cross. Two have signs up for their new tenants (a fish & chips + oyster bar, and Malaysian noodles), but both are looking like they're going to be done very much on the cheap.

I think it's fair to say that since the advent of the Harris Scarfe food court a few years ago, that there's too many food courts near Rundle
Mall. The turnover over food outlets over the last couple of years has been nothing short of pathetic.