News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Message
Author
User avatar
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 2412
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: City
Has thanked: 547 times
Been thanked: 239 times

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#3061 Post by SRW » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:58 pm

Nova shoes on the corner of Mall & Twin has either closed or closed for renovations. No sign of renovation yet at the Strandbags site for nearly 2 weeks.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1723
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA
Been thanked: 212 times

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#3062 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:22 pm

SRW wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:58 pm
Nova shoes on the corner of Mall & Twin has either closed or closed for renovations. No sign of renovation yet at the Strandbags site for nearly 2 weeks.
Looked like they had just finished retiling the place when I went past yesterday, wasn't there a council development submission a couple of years back to halve the size of Nova Shoes and build a cafe in back half that faced out onto Twin Street?

pushbutton
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1425
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:01 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#3063 Post by pushbutton » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:45 pm

Just got my first look at the new Foodland.

Not impressed at all that the building still has signs from the early 90s saying "Citi Centre Arcade", and on the entrance doors the signs are new and read "Rundle Square". It's just lazy.

As for actual supermarket, not too bad and will serve a valuable role for city centre office workers and apartment dwellers, but I don't like the "in via the mall and out via Pulteney Street" bit. Not sure if there was any alternative, but I still don't like it!

Overall it's definitely a better use of the space than that very poor excuse for a food court, and lame little arcade. Just wish they'd put more effort into the redevelopment.
20190810_135400.jpg
Last edited by pushbutton on Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1723
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA
Been thanked: 212 times

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#3064 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:43 pm

pushbutton wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:45 pm
Just got my first look at the new Foodland.

Not impressed at all that the building still has signs from the early 90s saying "Citi Centre Arcade", and on the entrance doors the signs are new and read "Rundle Square". It's just lazy.

As for actual supermarket, not too bad and will serve a valuable role for city centre office workers and apartment dwellers, but I don't like the "in via the mall and out via Pulteney Street" bit. Not sure if there was any alterations but I still don't like it!

Overall it's definitely a better use of the space than that very poor excuse for a food court, and lame little arcade. Just wish they'd put more effort into the redevelopment.
20190810_135400.jpg
You do realise that there are more works to come? There is the whole upgrade of the arcade's facade to take place yet... Not sure what the timing for this is, but I know that Foodland wouldn't have signed up to tenant the place had there not been plans to upgrade the exterior of the building as well...

pushbutton
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1425
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:01 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#3065 Post by pushbutton » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:32 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:43 pm
pushbutton wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:45 pm
Just got my first look at the new Foodland.

Not impressed at all that the building still has signs from the early 90s saying "Citi Centre Arcade", and on the entrance doors the signs are new and read "Rundle Square". It's just lazy.

As for actual supermarket, not too bad and will serve a valuable role for city centre office workers and apartment dwellers, but I don't like the "in via the mall and out via Pulteney Street" bit. Not sure if there was any alterations but I still don't like it!

Overall it's definitely a better use of the space than that very poor excuse for a food court, and lame little arcade. Just wish they'd put more effort into the redevelopment.
20190810_135400.jpg
You do realise that there are more works to come? There is the whole upgrade of the arcade's facade to take place yet... Not sure what the timing for this is, but I know that Foodland wouldn't have signed up to tenant the place had there not been plans to upgrade the exterior of the building as well...
You do realise that my point was the facade upgrade should have been programmed to coincide with Foodland opening?

Let me know if you need me to break it down even further, and explain it even more so that you can see what I mean.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1723
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA
Been thanked: 212 times

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#3066 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:44 pm

pushbutton wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:32 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:43 pm
pushbutton wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:45 pm
Just got my first look at the new Foodland.

Not impressed at all that the building still has signs from the early 90s saying "Citi Centre Arcade", and on the entrance doors the signs are new and read "Rundle Square". It's just lazy.

As for actual supermarket, not too bad and will serve a valuable role for city centre office workers and apartment dwellers, but I don't like the "in via the mall and out via Pulteney Street" bit. Not sure if there was any alterations but I still don't like it!

Overall it's definitely a better use of the space than that very poor excuse for a food court, and lame little arcade. Just wish they'd put more effort into the redevelopment.
20190810_135400.jpg
You do realise that there are more works to come? There is the whole upgrade of the arcade's facade to take place yet... Not sure what the timing for this is, but I know that Foodland wouldn't have signed up to tenant the place had there not been plans to upgrade the exterior of the building as well...
You do realise that my point was the facade upgrade should have been programmed to coincide with Foodland opening?

Let me know if you need me to break it down even further, and explain it even more so that you can see what I mean.
You didn't actually specify that at all... Your first comment suggests that they're done with it all, especially with the closing remark: "Just wish they've put more effort into the redevelopment." So thanks for clarifying that you're on the same page, because I agree with you.

User avatar
AndyWelsh
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:44 pm
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 421 times

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#3067 Post by AndyWelsh » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:50 am

Looks like the large unit at the station entrance ramp, previously used as one large second hand goods store, is now being turned into some smaller individual units. Anyone know anything?

Image

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 2412
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: City
Has thanked: 547 times
Been thanked: 239 times

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#3068 Post by SRW » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:10 am

AndyWelsh wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:50 am
Looks like the large unit at the station entrance ramp, previously used as one large second hand goods store, is now being turned into some smaller individual units. Anyone know anything?
Only that Renewal SA has been seeking expressions of interest for retail operators to overhaul the Railway Station's commercial offering. They're open to short-term and pop-up leases, so I'm imagining it'll be similar to what council (and Renew Adelaide) were doing in Topham Mall.
Last edited by SRW on Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Keep Adelaide Weird

User avatar
The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1534
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:45 pm
Location: Anywhere!
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 91 times
Contact:

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#3069 Post by The Scooter Guy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:45 pm

SRW wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:10 am
AndyWelsh wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:50 am
Looks like the large unit at the station entrance ramp, previously used as one large second hand goods store, is now being turned into some smaller individual units. Anyone know anything?
Only that Renewal SA has been seeking expressions of interest for retail operators to overall the Railways Station's commercial offering. They're open to short-term and pop-up leases, so I'm imagining it'll be similar to what council (and Renew Adelaide) were doing in Topham Mall.
Back then, it was Cash Converters according to photos from the 1990s.
And the chain is still going strong!
Help us Fight Back the Retail Apocalypse.
Support Small Business More, Support Small Business Better.


https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

User avatar
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3133
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:09 pm
Location: Bowden
Has thanked: 193 times
Been thanked: 617 times
Contact:

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#3070 Post by Nathan » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:55 pm

"still going strong"

In hindsight, having a pawn broker adjacent to a casino was never a good idea and probably highly predatory.

User avatar
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 2412
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: City
Has thanked: 547 times
Been thanked: 239 times

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#3071 Post by SRW » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:43 pm

For those who missed the old fruit and veg stalls in the Mall, Romeo's has been running a pop-up this week out front of Citi Arcade. Chaitime (with its inexplicable & ever-present queue) has also opened in the weird truncated food court inside.
Keep Adelaide Weird

User avatar
The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1534
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:45 pm
Location: Anywhere!
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 91 times
Contact:

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#3072 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:05 pm

Another end of a long era as Pauline Books & Media (one of three stores in SA, VIC and NSW) on Twin St has been placed into administration.
Help us Fight Back the Retail Apocalypse.
Support Small Business More, Support Small Business Better.


https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

pushbutton
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1425
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:01 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#3073 Post by pushbutton » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:02 pm

dsriggs wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:49 pm
Everybody complaining about this, like this is something new we should be "embarrassed" by or whatever, should at least look up Levitz Funiture.

Image

Look familiar?
I just found this information in the asic insolvency notices. Lists "Levitz Australia Proprietary Limited" along with various other LeCornu business names. Confirms there was an official relationship of some kind.

https://insolvencynotices.asic.gov.au/b ... b7c9cee4ee

gingernuts
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:04 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#3074 Post by gingernuts » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:46 am

Movement in the old Strandbags tenancy today. I note last week that the old Jeans West place was incorporated into the space and today a divider has been placed half way in the SB place to create two equal sized tenancies. Makes sense I suppose as the old SB shop was quite large.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1723
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA
Been thanked: 212 times

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#3075 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:48 pm

Factorie have closed in the old Balfours shopfront, it's a huge space...

Also, the old Telstre Shop/MECCA shopfront(s) in City X have works going on, looks like any hops of a mini major going on here is unlikely...

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 10 guests