[COM] Rundle Mall Redevelopment | $30m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: Rundle Mall Redevelopment | $30m

#1186 Post by SRW » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:02 pm

I actually like the spaciousness but I'll agree the the canopy is not very successful. My other slight concern is that the permanent fixtures that were removed have essentially been replaced by semi permanent fixtures of lesser quality. For example, the cafe near the Richmond Hotel.
Keep Adelaide Weird

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1187 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:58 am

SRW wrote:I actually like the spaciousness but I'll agree the the canopy is not very successful. My other slight concern is that the permanent fixtures that were removed have essentially been replaced by semi permanent fixtures of lesser quality. For example, the cafe near the Richmond Hotel.
The cafe (Coffee Central) is actually a charity venture.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

rhino

#1188 Post by rhino » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:57 am

Over the last few weeks I have noticed many bad smells in the mall, and I think they are coming from the drain that winds it's way through from one end to the other. It's certainly not very pleasant. Has anyone else noticed it?
cheers,
Rhino

Llessur2002

#1189 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:13 am

SRW wrote:I actually like the spaciousness but I'll agree the the canopy is not very successful. My other slight concern is that the permanent fixtures that were removed have essentially been replaced by semi permanent fixtures of lesser quality. For example, the cafe near the Richmond Hotel.
I personally think that the 'pop-up' style fixtures are visually more appealing than the fairly drab permanent structures which they replaced. They look more, for want of a better word, vibrant. However, I guess that's pretty subjective...

Waewick

#1190 Post by Waewick » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:16 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
I personally think that the 'pop-up' style fixtures are visually more appealing than the fairly drab permanent structures which they replaced. They look more, for want of a better word, vibrant. However, I guess that's pretty subjective...
I tend to agree

although the toasted sandwich car is an interesting choice for the mall, but I guess it must be doing alright.

Llessur2002

#1191 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:33 am

Waewick wrote:although the toasted sandwich car is an interesting choice for the mall, but I guess it must be doing alright.
That thing's right outside of my office door - I don't think I've ever been past it when there hasn't been at least one person being served. They look like they're doing a roaring trade to me. Hmmm, all this talk of toasted sandwiches has really made me want a toasted sandwich...

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1192 Post by monotonehell » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:41 pm

rhino wrote:Over the last few weeks I have noticed many bad smells in the mall, and I think they are coming from the drain that winds it's way through from one end to the other. It's certainly not very pleasant. Has anyone else noticed it?
Yes. There's a definite smell of poop, and it's an almost permanent fixture. I can't tell if it's sewerage getting into the stormwater or just an extreme rotting vegetation smell.

I've traced one source to the stormwater grates at the Pulteney Street end of the Mall at the pedestrian crossing. The other's source I can't fix. It's always around the KMart - Richmond area.

There's a similar smell from the drain outside Cibo on Frome/Rundle Street corner. So maybe it's rotting coffee grounds? lol
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1193 Post by SRW » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:47 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
The cafe (Coffee Central) is actually a charity venture.
It's a cafe/bar business run by the Hotel Richmond that donates 50c from every coffee sold to charity. That's commendable but it doesn't make it a charity venture.

Also, my point was concerned with a pop-up set up becoming permanent. Pop-ups are supposed to be a changing and surprising part of the urban space - for instance, the changing setup and locations of the Flower Depot and Combeeze. I have no problem with Coffee Central/Burger Shack per se, but if it is going to be a static edifice it should be of a higher quality befitting its location.
monotonehell wrote:
rhino wrote:Over the last few weeks I have noticed many bad smells in the mall, and I think they are coming from the drain that winds it's way through from one end to the other. It's certainly not very pleasant. Has anyone else noticed it?
Yes. There's a definite smell of poop, and it's an almost permanent fixture. I can't tell if it's sewerage getting into the stormwater or just an extreme rotting vegetation smell.

I've traced one source to the stormwater grates at the Pulteney Street end of the Mall at the pedestrian crossing. The other's source I can't fix. It's always around the KMart - Richmond area.

There's a similar smell from the drain outside Cibo on Frome/Rundle Street corner. So maybe it's rotting coffee grounds? lol
The Pultney Street end smells pretty much every day, especially when wet or very hot. My guess is that service relocation during the redevelopment was botched. I wonder if the council is aware of the malodorous situation - hardly the entry they should want for their pride and joy.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Patrick_27

#1194 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:29 pm

Waewick wrote:
Llessur2002 wrote:
I tend to agree

although the toasted sandwich car is an interesting choice for the mall, but I guess it must be doing alright.
I believe the pop-up stalls have been a complete failure and they're simply an opportunity for young entrepreneurs to bring their half-baked, tacky establishments to the mall.

You have a juicy bar where they simply place cut up pieces of fruit into a magic bullet and sell their product well above what it should be, you have the toasted cheese van that apparently only sells toasted cheese sandwiches, you have a popcorn van which sells nothing but overcooked, caramelised popcorn (which also has a children's play mat situated right next to it?). The only two stalls that has actually caught my eye (in a good sense) are the crepe stall (though, they're also overpriced) and the florist (which takes up a lot more in the mall that it really needs to).

I don't miss the old permanent structures that were situated in the mall, however I do miss what they offered. Why can't I buy fresh (non-supermarket) fruit at a decent price anymore when I'm walking down the mall?

I never wanted to find myself saying this because in theory I agree with what they were trying to achieve with Rundle Mall, however the (originally unplanned) lighting poles, constantly filthy pavers and poor choice of pop-up food vendors really made the whole project a waste of time, money and energy.

Waewick

#1195 Post by Waewick » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:00 pm

Given they are in existence still, perhaps not over priced?

Patrick_27

#1196 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:42 pm

Waewick wrote:Given they are in existence still, perhaps not over priced?
C'mon man, it's Adelaide.. When has anyone ever complained about the fact that something is overpriced in this city? Excluding the people on this forum, of-course; we're about the only honest people I know of.

Waewick

#1197 Post by Waewick » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:49 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Waewick wrote:Given they are in existence still, perhaps not over priced?
C'mon man, it's Adelaide.. When has anyone ever complained about the fact that something is overpriced in this city? Excluding the people on this forum, of-course; we're about the only honest people I know of.
I just meant that the fact that they'd been trading so long suggests they are at their price point.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1198 Post by Brucetiki » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:35 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
I believe the pop-up stalls have been a complete failure and they're simply an opportunity for young entrepreneurs to bring their half-baked, tacky establishments to the mall.

You have a juicy bar where they simply place cut up pieces of fruit into a magic bullet and sell their product well above what it should be, you have the toasted cheese van that apparently only sells toasted cheese sandwiches, you have a popcorn van which sells nothing but overcooked, caramelised popcorn (which also has a children's play mat situated right next to it?). The only two stalls that has actually caught my eye (in a good sense) are the crepe stall (though, they're also overpriced) and the florist (which takes up a lot more in the mall that it really needs to).

I don't miss the old permanent structures that were situated in the mall, however I do miss what they offered. Why can't I buy fresh (non-supermarket) fruit at a decent price anymore when I'm walking down the mall?

I never wanted to find myself saying this because in theory I agree with what they were trying to achieve with Rundle Mall, however the (originally unplanned) lighting poles, constantly filthy pavers and poor choice of pop-up food vendors really made the whole project a waste of time, money and energy.
Hi Martin

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1199 Post by crawf » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:55 pm

Invest in Rundle Mall or lose top brands, says outgoing chair Eric Granger
April 5, 2016 12:00am
BELINDA WILLIS The Advertiser
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business/ ... 751f06b5c8

LANDLORDS in Rundle Mall need to invest in long-term developments or risk losing some of the world’s biggest brands, according to the outgoing Rundle Mall Management Authority chair.

The mall could have missed out on the bustling Apple store if a suitable site hadn’t opened up, chair Eric Granger says, as too many landlords were fixated on short-term investment costs.

Interviewing was currently underway for a new mall liaison staff member who could ensure stakeholders and the town hall were well engaged and relayed these kinds of concerns, he said.

“We have some big landlords but some of the smaller tenancies, we are trying to get them to work on creating spaces for modern retail and that can be a challenge,” he said.

“With Apple, we nearly didn’t get them because no retailer would renovate the space for them.

“We have missed out on some major brands because some landlords won’t invest to create modern retail space.”

It was now even more important to continue building on the mall’s redevelopment success and its strategic plan, Mr Granger said, after Westfield’s $350 million redevelopment of its Marion shopping complex was approved by Marion Council last month.

Mr Granger, who has served on the board since 2008 — for five years as deputy under Theo Maras and the last 12 months as chair - ends his term in June and the authority was currently searching for a new talent to take over the role.

He believed the mall was being handed over in great shape with visitations dramatically increasing, “big hitters” like the owners of the Myer building Starhill Global renovating its store — and a new strategic plan in place to activate laneways and upper levels.

There was also a diverse board including new recruit Kate Gould and a dynamic manager Amanda Grocock in place with Mr Granger saying one of his strengths had been in helping recruit the right people “who add to the mix rather than everybody being of like thinking”.

But Mr Granger said there were still challenges, with car parking a major inhibitor to visitors along with penalty rates making it difficult for retailers to maintain vibrancy after 5pm and on weekends or public holidays.

“I would suggest 90 per cent of the reason why people don’t shop in the city is because they have to pay to park there,” he said.

The Adelaide Central Market was tackling the issue, Mr Granger said, by introducing free car parking for the first hour, and the city council had recently kept its Gawler Place car park open until midnight rather than closing early so it could be used by those wanting to go out for dinner or entertainment.

But he believed more could be done to test new approaches at the city council’s Gawler Place car park including dropping parking costs.

Mr Granger was still involved in several boards including the Portalink technology company, Sportsmed SA and on the University of South Australia council.

While there were other opportunities ahead, Mr Granger said when he left the authority “I will feel like I did on my last day of work (as manager of BUPA in SA), I don’t have to go yet and in some ways I’m not ready to go yet, but I know it’s just the right time and I will have many things to do”.

Waewick

#1200 Post by Waewick » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:31 pm

I'm happy for a tram loop that connects to PT

but I am not in support of more subsidised carparking.