[COM] Rundle Mall Redevelopment | $30m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: #Proposed: Rundle Mall upgrade

#61 Post by Xaragmata » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:12 pm

jk1237 wrote:Also does anyone know any details of the old Galeria shopping centre.
I liked the Gallerie, as it had a basement eatery, and connected to John Martin's basement, & in turn to the arcades to Pulteney Street. I would prefer to have "internal" basement pedestrian connections between KWS and Pulteney Streets (Myer Centre through to Ruthven Mansions), with street level connections between Southern Cross and Hindmarsh Square. Much of this is in place, & to me would be more appealing than a revamped Mall. I rarely walk the length of the Mall, but often enter Southern Cross from KWS, and come out in Regent Arcade - I find it less hectic, & I stop to buy a paper or coffee on the way through. I'm not opposed to the Mall or its upgrade, I just like the parallel undercover connections complementing it.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#62 Post by Mants » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:15 am

i vaguely remember the eatery in the basement of gallerie. did it have mainly asian food outlets?

many of the arcades surrounding the mall do need upgrades though. especially the one by maccas, southern cross, renaissance and id love to see the gallerie renovated.

Xaragmata

#63 Post by Xaragmata » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:39 am

Mants wrote:i vaguely remember the eatery in the basement of gallerie. did it have mainly asian food outlets?

many of the arcades surrounding the mall do need upgrades though. especially the one by maccas, southern cross, renaissance and id love to see the gallerie renovated.
Yes, it was mainly Asian, with a couple of coffee shops & an excellent fruit salad shop at the J/Martins end. I agree with your points, especially Southern Cross, which could be completely redeveloped as an office or resi block above the arcade. Renaissance was originally Cox Foys, & had a rooftop funfair long before Dazzeland, complete with a small ferris wheel. The cafeteria on the top floor of Renaissance had a good view to the south & east, but has apparently been replaced by a fitness centre.

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#64 Post by Bulldozer » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:13 am

Dave_The_Planner wrote:I can't ever remember being in London, New York or Toyko as a tourist and being concerned about the quality of paving. Public art and other items of civic interest would add far more colour to the mall than spending millions on paving.
It's been a few months since I last trod on Rundle Mall, but having spent a couple of years traipsing along it a few times a day I do seem to remember it being paved with porous concrete pavers. Compare that to the surfacing in Queen St Mall up here where they appear to have used granite pavers.

Attention to detail is what sets things apart. To illustrate that the surfacing does matter - the current situation is better than bitumen, and bitumen is better than dirt, but given the choice between pavers, bitumen and dirt I think it's pretty safe to say that everyone would pick pavers.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: Great bloody big led screen thingy for City Cross

#65 Post by jk1237 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:44 pm

I parked my bike opposite City cross today, and as I put my helmet on I noticed a group of people staring at the City Cross building. I thought "WTF are they looking at" and then I looked up and saw that the giant TV screen was installed and fully working.

When was this done? Anyone know. How sneaky. Its quite a clear picture :D

ghs

#66 Post by ghs » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:47 pm

I noticed it for the first time today. I reckon it was installed last night. It's pretty cool.

I am not sure if it goes all night or just during the day. I'll check it out tonight.

Here's the website :

http://www.phoenixoutdoor.com.au
Last edited by ghs on Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#67 Post by Norman » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:48 pm

Will have to check this one out ASAP. Thanks for the heads-up!

Done
Gold-Member ;)

#68 Post by Done » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:09 pm

I just saw this today too, it looks pretty much exactly like the render in the first post.
It looks good too, better then I expected. :)

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#69 Post by monotonehell » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:12 pm

They started work for this on Tuesday night. During the day the uncovered façade (old stone building behind the capping) has been covered with a black tarp. Until Saturday night when they finished it.

I've been watching the works to install the supporting structure, but completely forgot WHY they were doing this work. :lol:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#70 Post by Norman » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:27 pm

So what's on this screen? Regular TV? Foxtel? Ads?

ghs

#71 Post by ghs » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:21 pm

It's just advertising on there from what I've seen.

sam
Donating Member
Donating Member

#72 Post by sam » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:18 pm

I saw it today too - appeared to be advertising for outlets in CX.

I had my camera with me too - but I left it in the car, didn't think I'd see anything worth taking a photo of whilst shopping!

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#73 Post by dsriggs » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:24 am

Managed to get a shot of the screen before they put it up Saturday night. It's gonna be a shame if something like this is only going to be used for ads...
Attachments
DSC00143.JPG
DSC00143.JPG (84.24 KiB) Viewed 5775 times

russo92
Gold-Member ;)

#74 Post by russo92 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:01 pm

Anyone know if it will broadcast big events (eg soccer matches, olympics, racing) or is it purely advertising, coz if it is thats crap

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#75 Post by crawf » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:15 pm

I'm pretty sure it would.