[COM] 115 King William Street | 91m | 26lvls | Office

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: APP: 115 King William St | 86M | 25lvls | Office

#226 Post by AtD » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:07 pm

Isiskii wrote:It's too tall for the location.

Yes, I'm serious.
How so? There are taller buildings within spitting distance to the north, south and east.

Also, this render makes it look taller than Grenfell Centre. That's a bit optimistic...

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#227 Post by Ho Really » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:46 pm

AtD wrote:
Isiskii wrote:It's too tall for the location.

Yes, I'm serious.
How so? There are taller buildings within spitting distance to the north, south and east.

Also, this render makes it look taller than Grenfell Centre. That's a bit optimistic...
Maybe he's referring to the plot its going to be built on.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#228 Post by spiller » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:53 pm

Looks awesome! Finally some decent height directly fronting up to this part of KWS. I love how it's lack of width adds to it's overall impact height wise. Much better looking than a boring 80m glass box.

Waewick

#229 Post by Waewick » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:08 pm

so do we think this one will actually happen?

I've never heard of the developer so it will be interesting to see how pre-sales go.

Isiskii
High Rise Poster!

#230 Post by Isiskii » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:28 pm

I believe that the building is too tall, relative to the remainder of the King William Street landscape. You'll note that a majority of the buildings built along the street are of about 40-50m tall in height - CC2, GPO/Town Hall clock towers, T&G Building, Adelaide Metro Building, Colonial Building, NAB Building, etc. This consistency in the streetscape should continue to be maintained. I'd happily advocate such height set back appropriately from the KWS landscape - CC2/CC1 is a great example of this.

For the record -I am greatly supportive of increased heights in the CBD, but we have to be careful where and what exactly such heights should be limited or opened up to. Proposing anorexic buildings like this one which stand out in complete disproportion to others and its surroundings is not a good example to follow.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#231 Post by crawf » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:44 pm

The height is fine, I just don't like the blank walls facing north and south of King William Street.

Though those renders are better than the previous ones.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#232 Post by omada » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:05 pm

no pleasing some people, decent design, decent height - what more do you want?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#233 Post by Ben » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:43 pm

omada wrote:no pleasing some people, decent design, decent height - what more do you want?
Exactly

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#234 Post by Will » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:46 pm

I think the design looks great. It is also refreshing to see a thin building where verticality reigns over horizontality. I find it amusing how some people here whinge about short stumpy buildings and then whinge about a building being too tall. :roll:

Regarding the project, I am confident that it will be built, for the simple fact that it is a great investment, and if I had the funds, would consider buying into it. Despite, the alarmist claims of the property council, there is demand for quality A-grade and premium office space in Adelaide. This is reflected by the tight rental market for A-grade and premium office space in the city. Factor in, the KWS address of this building and the fact that it will be the only (for the mean time) new available office space coming onto the market in the next 2-3 years, and thus I think there will be strong demand for it.

Isiskii
High Rise Poster!

#235 Post by Isiskii » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:46 pm

omada wrote:no pleasing some people, decent design, decent height - what more do you want?
Decent design, decent height, wrong location.

skyliner

#236 Post by skyliner » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:22 pm

Decent design, decent height, decent location. Adds huge impact to KWS and gives a strong vertical emphasis. KWS is a major thoroughfare - deserves major bldgs., not hidden away. Can't wait for this to start. :D

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Ho Really

#237 Post by Ho Really » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:50 pm

Will wrote:I think the design looks great. It is also refreshing to see a thin building where verticality reigns over horizontality. I find it amusing how some people here whinge about short stumpy buildings and then whinge about a building being too tall. :roll:
So, if an opinion is different from yours, they are whingers. Design is fine for what they have been restricted too, but the location is wrong for such a building. Yes, pity about the blank walls!
Regarding the project, I am confident that it will be built, for the simple fact that it is a great investment, and if I had the funds, would consider buying into it. Despite, the alarmist claims of the property council, there is demand for quality A-grade and premium office space in Adelaide. This is reflected by the tight rental market for A-grade and premium office space in the city. Factor in, the KWS address of this building and the fact that it will be the only (for the mean time) new available office space coming onto the market in the next 2-3 years, and thus I think there will be strong demand for it.
Would rather see those extra floors on Rundle Place than on this development and that is next to the mall! That's a location!

Cheers

Ho Really

#238 Post by Ho Really » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:56 pm

skyliner wrote:Decent design, decent height, decent location. Adds huge impact to KWS and gives a strong vertical emphasis. KWS is a major thoroughfare - deserves major bldgs., not hidden away. Can't wait for this to start. :D

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
skyliner, the design is very good, the height is nice too, but the location is wrong. Have you seen the plot it is on? Square on from King William Street? In one of the renderings you can see how narrow this building is. It is a real pity that no other adjoining property could have been acquired to make this a substantial development. King William Street is a great location, I agree. What I want to know is, are we cursed in any way that to get height in this city we have to go and get something like this built? Sheesh.

Cheers

metro
Legendary Member!

#239 Post by metro » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:31 pm

This one looks pretty good, it is a nice strong height (not another 15lvl thing), and has a fairly decent looking exterior.

Perfect location for it, whoever gets the naming rights to this tower will be very visible from many directions, hopefully it isn't Mr Polities :lol:

Also i'm having a laugh at all the old-minded people on here saying it's "too tall", and the "wrong location", Where would be better then? Melbourne? Perth? anywhere but Adelaide?. Sounds like something i'd expect from Clr's Anne Moran and Sandy Wilkinson. :roll:

Nort

#240 Post by Nort » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:47 pm

I think the location is great really. The small footprint of the building actually makes moot a lot of the arguments against it as it is thin enough that it won't be an overwhelming monolith dominating King William Street but will rather add vertical interest to the area without much ground level impact.