[COM] Adelaide Convention Centre - Stage 3 | $350m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: Adelaide Convention Centre - Stage 3 | $350m

#1456 Post by Honey of a City » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:30 am

Went on a public tour of Stage 3 yesterday. This facility is seriously cutting edge, with amazing views of the oval, river and bridges. What was surprising was the forecourt entrance on the North Terrace side - an unexpectedly large open space with some small reminders of Fed Square in Mel. The brown cladding actually works too, even on a dull day, now that the building is finished. The flexible seating options in the 3,500 seat plenary hall are a design marvel. The balcony walkway linking the three buildings opens up a 180 degree river view previously unseen. Very impressive.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1457 Post by rhino » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:05 am

Yes, I was at a conference there last month, and was also impressed. Well done, IMO.
cheers,
Rhino

ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

#1458 Post by ozisnowman » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:32 pm

Even though these facilities are great regards Convention Centre, i believe the whole Convention Centre / Riverside precinct has been a lost opportunity. It could have been much more including shops, restaurants, promenade etc similar to Southbank or Darling Harbour. Even though there will be some restaurants etc as part of the riverside upgrade its seems all mish-mash and not an overly appealing tourist destination.

Still cannot believe that whole view etc is spoilt by those so called heritage rowing sheds. Those things should be bulldozed or moved to another location (if so valuable).

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#1459 Post by Mpol03 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:26 am

I totally agree. The miss matched designs and lack of river bank/Festival Plaza activation are a big opportunity missed.
Re the design, the first stage was so good, it would not have been hard to extend this look for stage 2 and 3. I don't mind stage 3 and feel the angles if it were carried through all three stages, would have been interesting. But otherwise totally baffled by the design direction.

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#1460 Post by Honey of a City » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:51 am

Mpol03 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:26 am
I totally agree. The miss matched designs and lack of river bank/Festival Plaza activation are a big opportunity missed.
Re the design, the first stage was so good, it would not have been hard to extend this look for stage 2 and 3. I don't mind stage 3 and feel the angles if it were carried through all three stages, would have been interesting. But otherwise totally baffled by the design direction.
I thought the same until recently , bit am now becoming more comfortable with the three different designs. A homogenous building of that size would have been massively out of scale with the precinct. From the viewpoint across the river from the bridge and Pinky Flat (soon to be the site of the City Beach I'm told), the vista is impressive, with an array of styles and materials making their own architectural statements. Each structure looks interesting in its own way, and only informed locals would know that the three Convention Centre buildings are part of one facility. As for beauty - it's in the eye of the beholder, but only one of those (Stage 1) looks beautiful to me. The others make their statements in other ways.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1461 Post by rev » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:02 pm

The stage 3 actually does look quite good from across the river at Adelaide Oval. The colour not so much, but the actual design makes up for that imo.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1462 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:26 pm

I'm not sure whether this was meant to happen or not (if it was, my question would then be 'why') but on the stage two part of the centre facing out onto the Morhpett Street Bridge, the bronze panels are fading really badly and it looks awful...

nath91
Gold-Member ;)

#1463 Post by nath91 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:40 am

Just up in Qld for work and come across something very familiar....
Copper Cladding 1.jpg
(Sorry to bump this old thread)