[COM] Adelaide Convention Centre - Stage 3 | $350m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Message
Author
User avatar
Algernon
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1099
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:46 pm
Location: Moravia
Has thanked: 305 times
Been thanked: 144 times

[COM] Re: Adelaide Convention Centre - Stage 3 | $350m

#1441 Post by Algernon » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:10 am

Norman wrote: Image
The Riverside Centre is starting to stick out like dog's balls. Has to go.

thecityguy
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:32 am
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 28 times

[COM] Re: Adelaide Convention Centre - Stage 3 | $350m

#1442 Post by thecityguy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:22 pm

Algernon wrote:
Norman wrote: Image
The Riverside Centre is starting to stick out like dog's balls. Has to go.
Totally agree, doesn't fit in at all #eyesore


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spurdo
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:20 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 54 times

[COM] Re: Adelaide Convention Centre - Stage 3 | $350m

#1443 Post by Spurdo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:30 pm

Fun fact: The Aluminium cladding on the Riverside Centre was originally going to be salmon pink to match the Hyatt, but due to an purchasing error it turned out to be silver, however by that time it was easier to use the current panels instead of replacing them.

Considering that, I'd say we're actually quite lucky

noted
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:11 pm
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 14 times

[COM] Re: Adelaide Convention Centre - Stage 3 | $350m

#1444 Post by noted » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:27 am

Spurdo wrote:Fun fact: The Aluminium cladding on the Riverside Centre was originally going to be salmon pink to match the Hyatt, but due to an purchasing error it turned out to be silver, however by that time it was easier to use the current panels instead of replacing them.

Considering that, I'd say we're actually quite lucky
I'll say! If I was in charge of purchasing I would have made the same 'error.' I don't mind the brown. I think Vue looks a lot better completed than it did in the original renders, and I like this too. Great edition to the riverbank.

User avatar
Splashmo
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 371
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:14 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 16 times

[COM] Re: Adelaide Convention Centre - Stage 3 | $350m

#1445 Post by Splashmo » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:20 pm

I think we're luckier having three different buildings than the monstrosities you see in Perth and Melbourne.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1579
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA
Been thanked: 183 times

[COM] Re: Adelaide Convention Centre - Stage 3 | $350m

#1446 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:04 pm

I was walking through this area the other night and I feel like the concept of restaurants under the new extension of the centre are going to bomb unless the government do more to connect the area better... For starters I think now is the time to discuss moving the boat sheds to the other side of the Morphett Street Bridge, and then having grass slope from the promenade down to the Torrens River covering up the carpark access road below (the soil required for this could come from the carpark excavation). I also feel that InterContinental (when able to) need open their site up more to the whole area. From a green design point of view as well, considering the kinds of trees that line the Torrens would be good; the fact that there are a mixture of palms and Silver Birch trees isn't very consistent.

As for the North Terrace side, I think there should be consideration for further upgrades of this side of the Centre as it'll now be the oldest section and is completely uninviting with its zero street activity. The attached proposal was one that was (I believe) considered when things started to kick off for the overall expansion...
Attachments
Riverbank Precinct (Adelaide Convention Centre Proposal) - 1.jpg
Riverbank Precinct (Adelaide Convention Centre Proposal) - 1.jpg (97.22 KiB) Viewed 3251 times
Riverbank Precinct (Adelaide Convention Centre) - 6.jpg
Riverbank Precinct (Adelaide Convention Centre) - 6.jpg (24.01 KiB) Viewed 3251 times

Mpol03
Legendary Member!
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:39 am
Has thanked: 247 times
Been thanked: 41 times

[COM] Re: Adelaide Convention Centre - Stage 3 | $350m

#1447 Post by Mpol03 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:35 am

Again so sad to think this didn't happen... and we ended up with three miss matched elements that do nothing to integrate with their surroundings.
The restaurants part of the latest extension feels like an afterthought. I only hope more is added and the vision makes sense once the Riverbank development is complete.

obituary resider
Gold-Member ;)
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:33 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 14 times

[COM] Re: Adelaide Convention Centre - Stage 3 | $350m

#1448 Post by obituary resider » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:34 pm

Mpol03 wrote:Again so sad to think this didn't happen... and we ended up with three miss matched elements that do nothing to integrate with their surroundings.
The restaurants part of the latest extension feels like an afterthought. I only hope more is added and the vision makes sense once the Riverbank development is complete.
Agree with your sentiment but not so much your optimism unfortunately haha :( the current design elements are so obtrusive I dont think they will ever look coherent. I was walking past the other day and the only thing that could save it IMO would be some giant gum trees along the banks in front.

RiseHigh
Gold-Member ;)
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:41 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 9 times

[COM] Re: Adelaide Convention Centre - Stage 3 | $350m

#1449 Post by RiseHigh » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:50 pm

IMG_338.jpg
IMG_338.jpg (152.34 KiB) Viewed 2919 times
IMG_337.jpg
IMG_337.jpg (128.26 KiB) Viewed 2919 times
t
A couple of pics from inside the new convention centre

Ser Noit of Loit
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:12 pm
Has thanked: 58 times
Been thanked: 94 times

[COM] Re: Adelaide Convention Centre - Stage 3 | $350m

#1450 Post by Ser Noit of Loit » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:31 pm

RiseHigh wrote:
IMG_338.jpg
IMG_337.jpg
t
A couple of pics from inside the new convention centre
What's the reason for two bays of seats being on an opposite slope where you'd be sitting at a steep angle looking towards the roof? Is each bay moveable to adjust the seating and the available room?

RiseHigh
Gold-Member ;)
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:41 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 9 times

[COM] Re: Adelaide Convention Centre - Stage 3 | $350m

#1451 Post by RiseHigh » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:35 pm

As you can see from the previous pic under the seating trusses they have used optic fibre for a pretty impressive lighting display, it would look great when all the seats have been lifted and the main lights are dimmed or off.

RiseHigh
Gold-Member ;)
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:41 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 9 times

[COM] Re: Adelaide Convention Centre - Stage 3 | $350m

#1452 Post by RiseHigh » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:41 pm

Ser Noit of Loit wrote:
RiseHigh wrote:
IMG_338.jpg
IMG_337.jpg
t
A couple of pics from inside the new convention centre
What's the reason for two bays of seats being on an opposite slope where you'd be sitting at a steep angle looking towards the roof? Is each bay moveable to adjust the seating and the available room?
Obviously they have all seats down when they need to and when they want the bottom area opened up they can lift the seats out of the way. They also have a dividing wall that they can move down the middle of the whole place so they can separate it, so they can all use the seats on one half for a presentation or whatever and then they can walk next door and have all tables and seats set out for dinner and the seating trusses are up and out of the way. There are 6 trusses that they can move up and down as they please.

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 2:29 pm
Location: KTA/ADL ex PER/CNS/LA/SH
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 29 times

[COM] Re: Adelaide Convention Centre - Stage 3 | $350m

#1453 Post by JAKJ » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:18 pm

obituary resider wrote:
Mpol03 wrote:Again so sad to think this didn't happen... and we ended up with three miss matched elements that do nothing to integrate with their surroundings.
The restaurants part of the latest extension feels like an afterthought. I only hope more is added and the vision makes sense once the Riverbank development is complete.
Agree with your sentiment but not so much your optimism unfortunately haha :( the current design elements are so obtrusive I dont think they will ever look coherent. I was walking past the other day and the only thing that could save it IMO would be some giant gum trees along the banks in front.
I disagree, I think the three contrasting designs work well and are far superior to the monolithic convention centres of other states that have aged so terribly. Hard to fault any of the recent riverbank developments which are all excellent designs, except perhaps for the colour scheme on the new hospital... and this is coming from a Port fan.

User avatar
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3045
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:09 pm
Location: Bowden
Has thanked: 181 times
Been thanked: 560 times
Contact:

[COM] Re: Adelaide Convention Centre - Stage 3 | $350m

#1454 Post by Nathan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:59 pm

Opening is tomorrow night. Lots of lights set up both in the Torrens and on the southern path, they were testing quite a few earlier tonight.

They're also doing public tours starting from this weekend.

noted
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:11 pm
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 14 times

[COM] Re: Adelaide Convention Centre - Stage 3 | $350m

#1455 Post by noted » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:25 am

Thanks for the update Nathan. Was wondering what the light show was all about. It was quite striking when driving down the Southern Expressway last night.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Brando and 10 guests