University of South Australia | Developments & News

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
mshagg
Legendary Member!

Re: University of South Australia Redevelopment

#31 Post by mshagg » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:53 am

Yeah from what i recall when i attended city west (many moons ago!) it was a carpark for the marketing faculty, and i think there's a child care centre on that site as well.

Professor
High Rise Poster!

#32 Post by Professor » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:09 am

This was previously covered in the Uni SA "Blueprint 2015" heading a while ago by SA.

Great to see it happening now and yes, the site includes the carpark and the child centre. The Uni owns much of the land around that part of town and over the next few years there will be an increasing building program. The movement of the RAH to the west of the city will see the Uni respond by moving its health sciences from City East to City West and also (I think) the establishment of a new medical school. Good times ahead for that part of the CBD.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#33 Post by Will » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:20 pm

I think we already have a thread for this:

http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... f=7&t=2901

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#34 Post by UrbanSG » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:50 pm

From the City Messenger, render shown on the website:

http://city-messenger.whereilive.com.au ... cond-home/
$95m learning hub a 'second home'
28 Apr 11 @ 06:00am by Jessica Whiting

STRIKING: An artist's impression of UniSA's $95 million learning centre for the southern end of Hindley St.

BUILDING: Work on UniSA’s new $95 million learning centre in the West End is expected to start in September.

The university has lodged an application with the City Council to build a library, teaching space, offices, student services, shops and a restaurant on the southern side of Hindley St.

UniSA deputy vice-chancellor Joanne Wright said the eight-storey building would cater for an extra 1700 students from February 2014.

Professor Wright said the building would offer a mix of formal and informal study areas to provide students with a “home away from home”.

“The idea is to create a pleasant environment for people who at home don’t have an environment which is conducive to study.” Professor Wright said.

Designs were still being finalised, but she said the building would feature mock workplaces for practical learning, such as a courtroom, boardroom and a classroom.

The Federal Government has contributed $30 million towards the project through its Education Investment Fund.

The project will need to be approved by the state’s Development Assessment Commission (DAC), which is the planning authority for works worth more than $10 million.

A City Council spokeswoman said the council’s development assessment panel would make a recommendation on the project to the DAC after its meeting on May 16.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#35 Post by Ben » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:52 pm

From the City Messenger:
$95m learning hub a 'second home'

Local News28 Apr 11 @ 06:00am by Jessica Whiting

STRIKING: An artist's impression of UniSA's $95 million learning centre for the southern end of Hindley St.

BUILDING: Work on UniSA’s new $95 million learning centre in the West End is expected to start in September.

The university has lodged an application with the City Council to build a library, teaching space, offices, student services, shops and a restaurant on the southern side of Hindley St.

UniSA deputy vice-chancellor Joanne Wright said the eight-storey building would cater for an extra 1700 students from February 2014.

Professor Wright said the building would offer a mix of formal and informal study areas to provide students with a “home away from home”.

“The idea is to create a pleasant environment for people who at home don’t have an environment which is conducive to study.” Professor Wright said.

Designs were still being finalised, but she said the building would feature mock workplaces for practical learning, such as a courtroom, boardroom and a classroom.

The Federal Government has contributed $30 million towards the project through its Education Investment Fund.

The project will need to be approved by the state’s Development Assessment Commission (DAC), which is the planning authority for works worth more than $10 million.

A City Council spokeswoman said the council’s development assessment panel would make a recommendation on the project to the DAC after its meeting on May 16.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#36 Post by Will » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:17 pm

UniSA should be congratulated for the importance they have placed on the design of their new buildings. :applause:

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#37 Post by Pants » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:24 pm

Yeah, looks great. They're taking the lead from some of the other "tech" unis across Australia such as RMIT and building really interesting buildings.

Would have been nice if they had that mindset when they built the atrocity that is the first stage of the City West campus, but it's better late than never.

metro
Legendary Member!

#38 Post by metro » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:31 pm

Uni SA have really been creating some pretty good buildings with this, the hawke building on north tce, and their new buildings out at Mawson Lakes are looking pretty nice too.

The newest Adelaide Uni building is alright too..

But with this one at 8 levels, will it mean another crane in the cbd?

:cheers:

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#39 Post by peas_and_corn » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:28 pm

The 'southern end' of Hindley street??

Adelarch
Donating Member
Donating Member

#40 Post by Adelarch » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:26 pm

Render is a bit small to make out but my imagination is extrapolating it into a very nice building!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#41 Post by crawf » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:05 am

I'll just be glad to see that mega open air carpark gone.

The development looks not bad, need better renders though

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#42 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:12 am

Looks good, from what I can vaguely see.

One less carpark in the city! Hooray! Image

This will be located directly opposite the substation, indeed on the southern side (not end!) of Hndley Street.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#43 Post by Will » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:39 pm

There is a larger and different render in the physcial copy of the City Messenger.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#44 Post by omada » Thu May 05, 2011 1:27 pm

Is this development also requiring demolition of the old Cargo club? (across the road from Worldsend)

kernelpanic
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Uni SA "Blueprint 2015"

#45 Post by kernelpanic » Sun May 08, 2011 3:46 pm

Some renders that I came across...
1.jpg
1.jpg (293.94 KiB) Viewed 4435 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (265.85 KiB) Viewed 4435 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (235.25 KiB) Viewed 4435 times