University of South Australia | Developments & News

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: University of South Australia - Developments and News

#271 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:37 am

Sorry - am I missing something here? Didn't they just upgrade that section of Hindley Street like 2 years ago?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Nathan

#272 Post by Nathan » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:44 am

[Shuz] wrote:Sorry - am I missing something here? Didn't they just upgrade that section of Hindley Street like 2 years ago?
This is the section starting from the previously upgraded section, through to Morphett St.

[Shuz]

#273 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:18 pm

Took a quick look on Maps, didn't realise there was a 100m section between Register Street and Morphett unfinished.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Llessur2002

#274 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:09 pm

Here's some more info - will be great to see this tidied up.

http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/plan ... th-upgrade

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#275 Post by Norman » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:51 pm

Some photos from the other day

Llessur2002

#276 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:08 pm

I hadn't realised this was happening, nor did I know the origins of the existing colour scheme.

Black's an interesting choice. Will reserve judgement until it's completed.

Also, not sure what happened to the proposal to give the buildings a more substantial makeover, as discussed several pages back.
Guy Maron: Aboriginality lost in decision to change colour scheme of University of South Australia City West campus

UNIVERSITY of South Australia vice-chancellor David Lloyd recently delivered his address to students at their graduation in Aboriginal language.

Regrettably, very few understood him, but the gesture represented an intended public relations coup with no equal.

It is worth recalling that the creation of UniSA’s City West Campus, itself a heroic act soon after the amalgamation of a plethora of colleges of advanced education, represented a momentous task, particularly as it meant a physical move to the decaying west of the city.

One of the challenging tasks for the prize-winning plan for the campus on North Tce was to embody Aboriginality.
The ensuing in-depth consultation with Aboriginal elders was significant as they requested the colour of the buildings to reflect this great land of theirs.

Thus ochres and reds were adopted as predominant colours.
The colour scheme was embraced and ratified by the university’s governing council, as well as Adelaide City Council.

The Aboriginal community had had their say and the university stuck by its resolve by bringing about the colourful North Tce environment.

Sadly, with the passing of time and changing of the guard, corporate memory has become lost. Decisions are made in the light of new whims and realities with no one apparently taking the trouble to understand why things are the way they are.

The current management of the university, having received advice that the buildings should be refreshed, is acting on this advice in an apparent effort to give the campus a new face.

Prof Lloyd has stated: “It is not our intent to airbrush (or paint) over history and our origins. I hope that the new treatment will simply be another step in our growth.”

Unfortunately, in so doing, the Aboriginality of the campus, so strenuously achieved a couple of decades ago, has to go.
It would appear that the ochres and reds endorsed by the Aboriginal elders are to be replaced by the macabre black we now see appearing on the buildings on North Tce.

It beggars belief that Aboriginal elders are remaining silent.
Who is convincing them that black is the way for them to be represented as bearers of Aboriginal culture?

Ironically, the new University of Adelaide buildings at the opposite side of North Tce have adopted the original City West colours in deference to good urban design principles as well as good neighbourliness.

One is left with the question as to whether the Aboriginal community, always referred to in Vice-Chancellor’s speeches as the original owners who must be respected, will accept black as their new colour.

Surely someone should give the elders the voice they deserve and satisfy their ambitions, which they so eloquently expressed some 20 years ago.

Guy Maron is an award-winning Adelaide architect
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/opin ... cbed80a914

ghs

#277 Post by ghs » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:36 pm

I was walking through City West Campus on the weekend. The new colour scheme looks dull.

How many times does the government spend millions of dollars only to make things look worse ?

I liked the old colour scheme of blue and yellow. I am not sure why it needed to be changed.

Nathan

#278 Post by Nathan » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:56 pm

ghs wrote:How many times does the government spend millions of dollars only to make things look worse ?
What would make you think it's a government spend?

Abwolf
Gold-Member ;)

#279 Post by Abwolf » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:05 pm

Its all personal opinion. In my opinion the cream/white and dark gray are miles better but the decision to not paint over the terracotta tiles let's the whole thing down in my book. The grout between the tiles is showing its age. Hoping it's not finished.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#280 Post by crawf » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:39 pm

ghs wrote:
I liked the old colour scheme of blue and yellow. I am not sure why it needed to be changed.
It looked hideous.

ghs

#281 Post by ghs » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:25 pm

Nathan wrote:
ghs wrote:How many times does the government spend millions of dollars only to make things look worse ?
What would make you think it's a government spend?
Is Unisa a private university ?

serca
High Rise Poster!

#282 Post by serca » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:34 pm

No. Uni SA is a state university.

ghs

#283 Post by ghs » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:42 pm

serca wrote:No. Uni SA is a state university.
I understand that it's a state uni, my question was just a response to Nathan's post.

Nathan

#284 Post by Nathan » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:44 pm

Yes, it's a public university, but that doesn't mean it's the government painting the walls.

ghs

#285 Post by ghs » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:48 pm

Mate, of course a private contractor is painting the walls
but the university surely chose the dull colours.