[COM] Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: SWP: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

#2266 Post by Wayno » Tue May 29, 2012 5:32 pm

i know, put the hill ON TOP of the northern stand. Imagine the views!! Also make the stand transparent so we can still see the fig trees. Win-win...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2267 Post by rogue » Tue May 29, 2012 5:51 pm

Does anyone know if the dimensions of the playing surface will change after the redevelopment to make the oval truly symmetrical?

pafc1870
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2268 Post by pafc1870 » Tue May 29, 2012 6:27 pm

I've read that they will be changing the dimensions of the oval to make it an actual oval shape, just hope the latest nearmap pic isn't an indication of just how much they are changing it!

http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-34.915545,1 ... d=20120417

Matt
Legendary Member!

#2269 Post by Matt » Wed May 30, 2012 4:48 am

From hallowed turf to hollowed ground

THE wreckers have been. Now for the job of rebuilding Adelaide Oval.

The Advertiser this week captured the first images of the world-renowned ground stripped bare of three of its famous grandstands.

Over the past two months, the 22-year-old Bradman stand and the newer Clem Hill and Chappell stands have been demolished.

Work is now beginning on returfing the Northern Mound and on preparations to install about 2000 seats.

The new Southern stand is on track to be complete in time for the Ashes Test match in December next year and the Eastern stand will be ready for Adelaide's first AFL match of the 2014 season.

"The majority of the demolition work has been completed and we're now embarking on other fronts," said the Planning and Infrastructure Depart- ment's Adelaide Oval redevelopment project director, Manuel Delgado.

"We're getting ready to install some seating on the Northern Mound and we'll still have the majority of the grass there. We're still on target to allow the SACA to host the Test match at the end of next year.

"We'll have enough seating capacity (in the remaining Western stand and on the Northern Mound) and the lights will be in place.

"We're not touching the middle of the Oval."

The Bradman Stand was built in 1990, and the Chappell and Clem Hill stands were built in 2003.

Mr Delgado said other work under way on the Northern Mound included building new toilets and a lift shaft.

Two light towers have been removed from the eastern side and the lamps are being replaced before they are repositioned behind the new Eastern stand.

Excavation around the Oval is digging 4m down to make room for a car- park under the Eastern stand and changerooms and kitchen facilities under the Southern stand.

Construction officially began in early April, launched by the Prime Minister.

The finished stadium will have a 50,000-seat capacity and will host various sports.
Construction work, being undertaken in six stages, will use 3400 tonnes of steel and more than 51,000 cubic metres of concrete.

About 160 people are working on the site but the number is expected to grow to 800 or 900 in the coming six months.

Mr Delgado said about 90 per cent of the subcontractors hired by construction company Baulderstone are local workers.

Premier Jay Weatherill has promised 15 per cent of work on the Oval upgrade - demolition, piling, civil work and building finishing trades - will be done by local workers, including apprentices, trainees, indigenous workers or those who've had difficulty finding work in the past.

Once complete, there will be jobs in catering and communications.

Alyx
High Rise Poster!

#2270 Post by Alyx » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:26 am

AdelaideNow wrote:Image
WELCOME to the new Adelaide Oval Hill - ready to greet spectators for the coming cricket season.

The Sunday Mail can reveal how the historic and famous northern section of our Oval will look after its $535 million facelift, in time for the summer cricket season.

The redeveloped Hill area will take some sting out of the fact that much of the rest of the ground will be a frantic building site over summer.

The new northern mound will have a capacity of 4000-5000 spectators and include decking at the rear and new temporary food stalls, bars and toilet facilities all under the heritage Morton Bay fig trees.

The new Hill will be the first addition to catch the public's eye at Adelaide Oval with entry to the cricket ground this summer being through the northern gate at Pennington Tce and a second temporary entrance at Adelaide Oval No. 2.

SA Cricket Association chief executive Keith Bradshaw said his organisation was working towards providing a memorable summer of cricket despite the disruptions of the construction work. "Any project at this size is going to be disruptive to some degree, but domestic and international cricket will be played at Adelaide Oval throughout construction with spectator facilities available at all matches," Mr Bradshaw said.

"SACA members have overwhelmingly supported this project - they see it as being in the best interests of cricket, sports lovers and the state.

"We are very confident that we will have their full support throughout the season.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6381483219

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2271 Post by crawf » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:28 am

Think I saw a crane in the live shot of the city on 7 news.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#2272 Post by Hooligan » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:43 pm

So, do we have 50,000 seats plus the hill or 50,000 total?

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

mutt
High Rise Poster!

#2273 Post by mutt » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:09 pm

47,000 seats in the stands and 4,000 on the concourse, some of which wont be able to be used during cricket due to sight screens.
they may be able to squeeze a couple thousand standing room behind, but capacity wont be much more than 52k...same as football park

Just build it
High Rise Poster!

#2274 Post by Just build it » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:10 pm

It's a shame but I just can't get pumped about this development. To me the whole thing looks half assed (especially the stairways), poorly weather protected and just plain cheap (but obviously not!). :?

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#2275 Post by adam73837 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:41 pm

Perhaps your concern stems from the fact that given the Western Stand was just completed, the government couldn't really just come in and knock it down in order to build a new arena; hence we'll have 3 (seemingly individual, but I'll wait and see) stands that will look remarkably like a public toilet seat from space.
In which case, :cheers: .
But in any case, I think we should wait for the development to finish because we may be pleasantly surprised at the atmosphere that can be created in an AFL game here, or dare I say, an Adelaide United vs Melbourne Victory match. :banana:
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Just build it
High Rise Poster!

#2276 Post by Just build it » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:05 pm

adam73837 wrote:Perhaps your concern stems from the fact that given the Western Stand was just completed, the government couldn't really just come in and knock it down in order to build a new arena; hence we'll have 3 (seemingly individual, but I'll wait and see) stands that will look remarkably like a public toilet seat from space.
But in any case, I think we should wait for the development to finish because we may be pleasantly surprised at the atmosphere that can be created in an AFL game here, or dare I say, an Adelaide United vs Melbourne Victory match. :banana:
Ha, it will won't it! A big toilet seat, what an image. :lol:

I hold hope it'll impress me when it's finished but if it's all built to the same standard as the western stand it won't. It's kind of unfortunate it's orientated the way it is. The eastern stand, especially those in the upper tiers will stare straight into the sun pretty much right up until it sets, the southern stand will still cop the full hairdryer treatment from summers 40c winds from the north and it seems everyone will cop the wind and rain coming in sideways in winter.

mutt
High Rise Poster!

#2277 Post by mutt » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:46 am

adam73837 wrote:Perhaps your concern stems from the fact that given the Western Stand was just completed, the government couldn't really just come in and knock it down in order to build a new arena; hence we'll have 3 (seemingly individual, but I'll wait and see) stands that will look remarkably like a public toilet seat from space.
the idiots had plenty of opportunity to put a halt on the western stand during the final phase of negotiations and design for the extension, but they didnt

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#2278 Post by Kasey771 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:26 am

adam73837 wrote:<snipped>>
Bold - yes, lets try to be positive and see how things turn out before we knock it or celebrate it- a strange idea in this city I know;)
Underlined - If AUFC get the right to host an A-League GF, New Adelaide Oval will be the only venue in the state that will be suitable capacity wise to host it - even if it is the 'wrong' shape:( wouldn't it be great to beat MVC in a GF at AO;)
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#2279 Post by mattblack » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:19 pm

Some of these arguments are the most pathetic I have heard on this forum. Reminds me of the members meetings I attended during the consultation phase of the new development. Rain coming in sideways will make people wet, well Duh ... this cannot be averted in any open stadium, The AO will have more coverage for spectators in the stands than any other in the country. People will be looking into the sun, well Duh ... this cannot be averted in any open stadium and happens at AAMI now anyway. Get a members tick and look the other way. Stadium will look like a toilet bowl from the top .... well last time I went to any sporting event I did not check out a satellite image of the stadium before deciding if I was going to go or not, please stay away if you do this, you won’t be missed. The stadium will only hold 47,000 + standing, when was the last time that AAMI was sold out? When was the last time that a cricket match got over 40,000 people? I’d rather be a a full stadium than a half empty one, look at the atmosphere of Ethiad compared to MCG when you get 45,000 people to a match. The stadium will be big enough for now, especially because it can be extended IF we need. The ground is the 'wrong' shape for football (soccer) ..... Just plain wrong, it will be FIFA compliant and be able to host A league, NRL and ARU matches.

Can we please reserve this forum for construction and keep this inane/obsolete/boring discussion to the 'Discussion' forum. :cheers:

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#2280 Post by Kasey771 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:31 pm

mattblack wrote:Some of these arguments are the most pathetic I have heard on this forum. Reminds me of the members meetings I attended during the consultation phase of the new development. Rain coming in sideways will make people wet, well Duh ... this cannot be averted in any open stadium, The AO will have more coverage for spectators in the stands than any other in the country. People will be looking into the sun, well Duh ... this cannot be averted in any open stadium and happens at AAMI now anyway. Get a members tick and look the other way. Stadium will look like a toilet bowl from the top .... well last time I went to any sporting event I did not check out a satellite image of the stadium before deciding if I was going to go or not, please stay away if you do this, you won’t be missed. The stadium will only hold 47,000 + standing, when was the last time that AAMI was sold out? When was the last time that a cricket match got over 40,000 people? I’d rather be a a full stadium than a half empty one, look at the atmosphere of Ethiad compared to MCG when you get 45,000 people to a match. The stadium will be big enough for now, especially because it can be extended IF we need. The ground is the 'wrong' shape for football (soccer) ..... Just plain wrong, it will be FIFA compliant and be able to host A league, NRL and ARU matches.

Can we please reserve this forum for construction and keep this inane/obsolete/boring discussion to the 'Discussion' forum. :cheers:
There’s a big difference between being FIFA compliant and being the ‘right’ shape for the round ball game. Ask any true fan of the game and they’ll tell you the atmosphere/fan experience is much better at grounds that are rectangular in shape. Now obviously the 2 Rugbies aren’t big enough in SA to combine with football and get a purpose built stadium that suits those 3 sports(as in Brisbane), so Adelaide Oval will just have to do. It will be akin to watching games with a running track around the stadium. It’s that extra distance between themselves and the game that the fans don’t appreciate. Even in Italy, one of the big4 football countries, where clubs don’t own their own stadia[as they do in ENG] but have leases with the city council (analogous to the way we do things here) which lead to many SerieA clubs playing in multi-use stadia that had running tracks around them. The biggest club in Italy: Juventus finally got out of the much disliked Stadio Delle Alpi and into a rectangular stadium this year. Only the two Roman clubs (SS Lazio and AS Roma) who share the Olympic stadium remain as ‘big’ clubs with running tracks around their fields. Napoli are in the middle tier, but also play in a stadium with a track.
I intend to swing past AO this Friday arvo and whip out the camera to see if there is a crane on site yet.
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.