[COM] Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Kasey771
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: U/C: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment | 53,500 | $545m

#2626 Post by Kasey771 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:57 pm

Thats a great old pic from the 30s:
Heres a few from Friday 19April 2013: Starting with the Members Stand we can see the works being undertaken for the Aussie Rules specific Media Centre
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#2627 Post by Brucetiki » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:09 pm

Gee the AFL Media Centre is looking like it's going to take half of level 4 of the Western Stand!

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#2628 Post by Kasey771 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:26 am

Just FYI:
The builders have blocked off access to the stairs at the rear of the Members Stand. If you want to take pictures, I was told its easier to access the Northern Mound Decking and walk out onto the hill area to snap away. This is what I did on Friday. A nice construction dude pointed this out for me :applause:
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2629 Post by Paulns » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:11 am

Cool thanks Kasey771. Is there any pictures of where and what there doing for this AFL Media Centre?

I'm loving the progress of this Stadium, it's starting to look unreal! Thanks for the Pics!

Does anyone know if the oval itself will be ready for any SANFL games later on in the Footy season?
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#2630 Post by Kasey771 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:51 pm

Paulns wrote:Cool thanks Kasey771. Is there any pictures of where and what there doing for this AFL Media Centre?

I'm loving the progress of this Stadium, it's starting to look unreal! Thanks for the Pics!

Does anyone know if the oval itself will be ready for any SANFL games later on in the Footy season?
It's supposed to be ready for the Ashes this Summer, and my mail is the construction is ahead of schedule, maybe we could see an SaNFL Grand Final as a 'test event' before the Ashes? SANFL GF is usually in week one of October.
How wet a winter we have in Adelaide could have a bearing on that of course.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2631 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:53 pm

Kasey771 wrote:
Paulns wrote:Cool thanks Kasey771. Is there any pictures of where and what there doing for this AFL Media Centre?

It's supposed to be ready for the Ashes this Summer, and my mail is the construction is ahead of schedule, maybe we could see an SaNFL Grand Final as a 'test event' before the Ashes? SANFL GF is usually in week one of October.
The Southern Stand will be ready for the Ashes, the Eastern Stand will be ready for AFL 2014 season. With hope we might see both stands ready in-time for the Ashes or maybe the Australia Day test!

believesinadsy
Gold-Member ;)

#2632 Post by believesinadsy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:22 am

The builders have blocked off access to the stairs at the rear of the Members Stand. If you want to take pictures, I was told its easier to access the Northern Mound Decking and walk out onto the hill area to snap away.
Will be back in town later this week and was thinking to have a look from the northern end. So to confirm, can the general public access the northern end anytime to have a view?

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#2633 Post by Kasey771 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:12 pm

believesinadsy wrote:
The builders have blocked off access to the stairs at the rear of the Members Stand. If you want to take pictures, I was told its easier to access the Northern Mound Decking and walk out onto the hill area to snap away.
Will be back in town later this week and was thinking to have a look from the northern end. So to confirm, can the general public access the northern end anytime to have a view?
yes, the general public can access the stadium via the Clarrie Grimmett gates(Northern End). Just hang a left immediately after walking through them and climb the stairs to the decking behind the Northern Mound, then walk down to the gassed area for the best photo taking place depending on which stand you wish to photograph. These gates are left open for the public to access the temporary SACA offices off to the right as you enter. There might also be a parklands(for the recreation of the public etc) reason that they are unable to shut the gates to keep the public out - but I'm not 100% sure on that. the building site is fenced off now so no OH&S issues.

dbcrow
Gold-Member ;)

#2634 Post by dbcrow » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:54 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Kasey771 wrote:

The Southern Stand will be ready for the Ashes, the Eastern Stand will be ready for AFL 2014 season. With hope we might see both stands ready in-time for the Ashes or maybe the Australia Day test!
There's no Australia Day test in 2014. The Adelaide Test is in November or December 2013.

RiseHigh
High Rise Poster!

#2635 Post by RiseHigh » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:37 pm

The Southern Stand will be ready for the Ashes, the Eastern Stand will be ready for AFL 2014 season. With hope we might see both stands ready in-time for the Ashes or maybe the Australia Day test![/quote

I predict that neither stands will be properly finished in time for the ashes, the southern stand will be rushed and barley ready, and the day after the ashes the workers will be back to finish it properly.

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#2636 Post by dsriggs » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:30 am

RiseHigh wrote:The Southern Stand will be ready for the Ashes, the Eastern Stand will be ready for AFL 2014 season. With hope we might see both stands ready in-time for the Ashes or maybe the Australia Day test![/quote

I predict that neither stands will be properly finished in time for the ashes, the southern stand will be rushed and barley ready, and the day after the ashes the workers will be back to finish it properly.
Anything to base that on?

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#2637 Post by Maximus » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:34 am

how good is he wrote:I don't know if this has been answered in previous threads, but would the Adelaide Oval be compliant to host a Commonwealth Games [or even Olympic Games]? Has there been room allowed for a running track etc in the current plans?
I've no idea about stadium requirements for Commonwealth or Olympic Games, but an athletics field, including running track, could easily be laid within the boundaries of the playing surface. That's what happened at the MCG for the 2006 Cwth Games.
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2638 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:37 am

Maximus wrote:
how good is he wrote:I don't know if this has been answered in previous threads, but would the Adelaide Oval be compliant to host a Commonwealth Games [or even Olympic Games]? Has there been room allowed for a running track etc in the current plans?
I've no idea about stadium requirements for Commonwealth or Olympic Games, but an athletics field, including running track, could easily be laid within the boundaries of the playing surface. That's what happened at the MCG for the 2006 Cwth Games.
To answer your questions, despite all the fanfare that it is Commonwealth Games compliant, it was, but the requirements have either recently been changed or under review at the moment and this affects Adelaide Oval as it is now deemed uncompliant.

As for the Olympics, you can pretty much forget about it.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

RiseHigh
High Rise Poster!

#2639 Post by RiseHigh » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:59 pm

dsriggs wrote:
RiseHigh wrote:The Southern Stand will be ready for the Ashes, the Eastern Stand will be ready for AFL 2014 season. With hope we might see both stands ready in-time for the Ashes or maybe the Australia Day test![/quote

Anything to base that on?
I was speaking to one of the trades on site and he told me they were 6 weeks behind, plus I worked on the western stand and I know how long that took and that's not as big as these two stands. But you never know they might start doing 24 hour shifts.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2640 Post by crawf » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:53 pm

I thought they already were doing 24 hour shifts?