[COM] Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: U/C: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment | 53,500 | $545m

#2941 Post by mattwinter » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:40 am

Laidback-Luke wrote:Technically speaking, the centre of the field is just as far away at an AFL game as at a soccer game. In fact, at a soccer/rugby game the opposite boundary is actually closer to the spectator than the opposite boundary at a cricket or footy game. I know a rectangle doesn't really work in an oval but i think I have some logic going on 8) Does anyone know the angle of the top tiers of the new stands compared to that of the MCG or etihad? The northern stand at AAMI is a shocker so I hope they've made it quite steep.
Yeah but compare it to Hindmarsh Stadium, which is what soccer fans are used to, and you're a lot further from the action

Still I'm sure it will be a lot better than the old Adelaide Oval, and hopefully similar to somewhere like Etihad stadium (which is okay for soccer, still a bit behind AAMI Park and Hindmarsh.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#2942 Post by Matt » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:34 pm

From Cox Architecture... wow.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372745142.157722.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372745142.157722.jpg (242.5 KiB) Viewed 3272 times

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2943 Post by Paulns » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:53 pm

I think if you compare the new Adelaide Oval with similar dimensions to Etihad stadium, you'll find it'll be fine for Rugby and Soccer. The other night when the Wallabies played the Lions at Etihad I don't think there were too many people complaining about the ground there! In my opinion it's pointless trying to compare the old Adelaide Oval to the post development..
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

hitthepost
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2944 Post by hitthepost » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:24 pm

Port Adelaide Fan wrote:Adelaide oval map
http://adelaideoval.com.au/84/stadium-map.aspx
I'm struggling to see where they get such a different set of dimensions for the ground than what was there before, when nothing is closer to the ground than it used to be. Eastern and southern fencelines will be in exactly the same position, looking at where the construction ends meeting the field. The ground was 190.2 x 130.2m. That should mean, taking 5m each side and 8m each end for the space between boundary/goals and fence, the footy field is 176x120m. Where did 167m long come from on that map? Unless they've left room for an AusKick game behind the goals :? :?:

Walkinshaw
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2945 Post by Walkinshaw » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:33 pm

Adelaide Oval is terrible for football(soccer). The view from the Western stand is very sub par simply due to the distance to the field, the old Southern stand was even worse.
AFL/Cricket stadiums only provide for football adiquatly when the lower seating tears can physicaly be brought inwards to within 5m of the side lines.

AAMI Park(Melb) and even Hindmarsh will remain better football stadiums than AO or MCG. Better stadiums in general, NO way!

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#2946 Post by Dog » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:58 pm

Looking good, must be on time and budget else our "favourite" news paper would be all over it. They never like to print good news!

bretthandorf
Gold-Member ;)

#2947 Post by bretthandorf » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:13 pm

Is it just me or does the southern stand look very well advanced for a stand thats opening in December (unless there are other events happening beforehand). It's 5 months away and they're already putting seats in... Surely the roof couldn't take 5 months, but then again I'm not an engineer so feel free to correct me!

buildit83
Gold-Member ;)

#2948 Post by buildit83 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:00 pm

bretthandorf wrote:Is it just me or does the southern stand look very well advanced for a stand thats opening in December (unless there are other events happening beforehand). It's 5 months away and they're already putting seats in... Surely the roof couldn't take 5 months, but then again I'm not an engineer so feel free to correct me!
The southern stand and southern plaza is due to be completed in October not December. with the construction there is still a lot to be done. apart from seating and the roof there is 4 superscreens to be installed (2 outside the southern stand, 2 in the arena between the stands) the façade, ticket booths, corporate boxes, kiosks, bars, function rooms, toilets. and then there is infrastructure to be completed like electricity, gas, plumbing, telecommunications lines etc.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#2949 Post by Vee » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:16 pm

Surveys are underway to gauge transport needs/interest of football followers likely to attend games at Adelaide Oval. Not sure of the fate of the much needed (to reach AAMI Stadium) free 'Footy Express' buses for 2014. They are geared to match times and run frequently to deliver spectators 'to the door' and return. Public transport, especially train and tram, can provide a good service to AO but extra services need to be added to tie in with match times.

As for the limited on-street parking.... this is interesting.
The ACC has launched the following, incorporating public consultation and feedback, to develop a plan to address demand for on-street parking for events at Adelaide Oval.

Have your say.
We are seeking your feedback on the best ways to manage on-street event parking around Adelaide Oval and North Adelaide.

In late 2009, the State Government embarked on a plan to unite the State’s major sporting codes at a redeveloped Adelaide Oval. Once the redevelopment is complete, the seating capacity will increase to 50,000 by March 2014.

It is anticipated that a high number of spectators would like to travel to Adelaide Oval by car, increasing the demand for parking. The North Adelaide area will be an attractive solution for spectators due to the ease of access to the oval and unrestricted parking.

The purpose of the Adelaide Oval On-street Event Parking Plan is to manage on-street parking that will be demanded by Adelaide Oval event goers, while maintaining parking for residents, businesses and Park Lands users; and maintaining the character and amenity of North Adelaide.
Consultation pack, Strategies, Map and Feedback form are available on this site.
http://yoursay.adelaidecitycouncil.com/ ... event-park
Closes 9 August 2013.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2950 Post by rev » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:11 pm

I'd imagine footy express will continue in 2014.

Quick question..I noticed they have a huge mobile crane behind the southern stand to lift the roof bits into place.
Wouldn't it have been simpler to just keep the tower crane(or whatever it's called) in place?

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#2951 Post by mattblack » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:39 pm

rev wrote:I'd imagine footy express will continue in 2014.

Quick question..I noticed they have a huge mobile crane behind the southern stand to lift the roof bits into place.
Wouldn't it have been simpler to just keep the tower crane(or whatever it's called) in place?

They needed the space because they need to begin on the indoor cricket facility.

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#2952 Post by spiller » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:39 pm

I have a contact who worked on one of the big contracts for this development. As it stands the project is currently 3-4 months behind schedule. However, im sure they will put extra staff on for round the clock shifts to get it done on time!

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2953 Post by rev » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:57 pm

mattblack wrote:
rev wrote:I'd imagine footy express will continue in 2014.

They needed the space because they need to begin on the indoor cricket facility.
The mobile crane takes up more space on the ground though?

I completely forgot about the indoor center.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#2955 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:53 pm

Vee wrote:Surveys are underway to gauge transport needs/interest of football followers likely to attend games at Adelaide Oval. Not sure of the fate of the much needed (to reach AAMI Stadium) free 'Footy Express' buses for 2014. They are geared to match times and run frequently to deliver spectators 'to the door' and return. Public transport, especially train and tram, can provide a good service to AO but extra services need to be added to tie in with match times.

As for the limited on-street parking.... this is interesting.
The ACC has launched the following, incorporating public consultation and feedback, to develop a plan to address demand for on-street parking for events at Adelaide Oval.

Have your say.
We are seeking your feedback on the best ways to manage on-street event parking around Adelaide Oval and North Adelaide.

In late 2009, the State Government embarked on a plan to unite the State’s major sporting codes at a redeveloped Adelaide Oval. Once the redevelopment is complete, the seating capacity will increase to 50,000 by March 2014.

It is anticipated that a high number of spectators would like to travel to Adelaide Oval by car, increasing the demand for parking. The North Adelaide area will be an attractive solution for spectators due to the ease of access to the oval and unrestricted parking.

The purpose of the Adelaide Oval On-street Event Parking Plan is to manage on-street parking that will be demanded by Adelaide Oval event goers, while maintaining parking for residents, businesses and Park Lands users; and maintaining the character and amenity of North Adelaide.
Consultation pack, Strategies, Map and Feedback form are available on this site.
http://yoursay.adelaidecitycouncil.com/ ... event-park
Closes 9 August 2013.
The 'consulation pack' has a couple of errors in it - it says capacity is increasing from 20000 to 50000, when it's really 36000 to 50000.

Great research ACC :oops: